PDA

View Full Version : Birth Control for Bone Loss

rebekah
07-11-2014, 09:28 AM
I know it has been discussed before that birth control isn't recommended for us (which is why I stopped taking it), but I saw my pcp yesterday and he wants me to start taking a low dose to help with bone loss. I got a bone scan several months ago and have osteopenia... my spine is okay but my hips show significant bone loss (my left is worse than my right), and he's worried about the high dose of pred I'm still on making things worse and leading to osteoporosis soon. My lab work shows my calcium levels in the high end of the normal range, so he said I don't need to increase my calcium/vitamin D. I'm just not sure the pros (helping with bone loss - how much will it really help?) outweigh the cons. My pcp sent the prescription to the pharmacy, but I haven't picked it up yet. I see my rheumy next week and will discuss this with her, but I am just trying to get others' opions on this.

Sorry for my run-on sentences, but I'm too tired to proof read this.

windchime
07-11-2014, 02:36 PM
My Rheumy recommended one of the osteoporosis meds. I can't remember which, but there are several on the market. I personally would hesitate to take birth control for this problem. Hormone replacement is listed as a treatment for osteopenia but so are bisphosphonates and raloxifene. What a crap shoot.

Osteopenia, Natural Health - Dr. Weil (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02771/ostoepenia.html)