PDA

View Full Version : The Food We Eat

pberggren1
07-10-2014, 07:06 AM
Sometimes Dr. Oz has some very good segments on his show. I found this to be one of them. We know that the world food industry is run by big business just as all other aspects of our life are when it comes to just surviving.

What?s Really in Our Chicken? Pt 1 - Inside the Chicken Industry: Is Something Foul? | The Dr. Oz Show (http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/inside-chicken-industry-something-foul)

mishb
07-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Being in Australia it says I cannot view this video.

However we have very strict laws in Australia and we have been assured that nothing is in our chicken.
Is this speaking about hormones? or what?

renidrag
07-10-2014, 11:50 PM
I chose not to watch the link. I know there are standards I would find to be not right. I do like chicken and eat only Perdue. I, for some reason, believe their advertising campaigns. I am also sure the questionable ingredients go much further than chicken. Mooooooo.
Dale

JeanMarie
07-11-2014, 04:11 AM
Thanks Phil this is an important topic!

BookNut
07-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Reading books or watching videos by Joel Salatin is enlightening. Here is a 36 minute explanation of farming as it should be. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsCRDNxIH4I

It is well worth watching. Joel is a powerful advocate for clean food, and he is a very interesting guy. If you read only one of his books, it should be "This ain't Normal Folks". Folks, This Ain't Normal: A Farmer's Advice for Happier Hens, Healthier People, and a Better World: Joel Salatin: 9780892968206: Amazon.com: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Folks-This-Aint-Normal-Healthier/dp/0892968206/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405141889&sr=1-1&keywords=this+aint+normal+folks)

This whole philosophy of farming is diametrically opposite of corporation farming. It is healthier for the animals and healthier for us. It is worth the money to seek out locally grown vegetables and pastured meat. It is best to visit the farms and find out exactly how the animals are raised, and how the vegetables are grown. The organic label means that there are no antibiotics used, among other things. It is expensive and complicated to get that designation, so MANY small farmers do not seek to become certified. However, many of them use sustainable farming techniques and the animals and vegetables are safe to eat.

I am old enough to remember when all farms were like Joel's. It was a common occurrence to stop the car at cow crossings as the cows were being moved from the pasture to the milking barn, and back again. I have missed seeing cows grazing - but have noticed an uptick of that lovely view over the past 5 years as sustainable farming and clean eating have risen in popularity.

Anyway - that is my two cents worth on the topic.

LisaT
07-13-2014, 12:25 AM
I've recently learned of an ethical butcher I will check out in Vancouver. All of the meat comes from one farm in northern BC where the animals are grass-fed and grass-'finished' (I didn't know this term but now know that it means, they are fed grass until the end of their days, whereas other animals labelled grass-fed can be stuffed full of corn for 21 days before slaughter. It disgusts me the lies companies can get away with marketing.) no antibiotics, hormones etc. and ethical slaughter if you believe there is such a thing. I would imagine more and more such shops will be opening as people open their eyes to the origins of food. Phil, I can't watch the video because I'm a precarious omnivore at the best of times and it would likely make me unable to eat. But I can imagine. Thanks for sharing.

BookNut
07-13-2014, 03:08 AM
Lisa...I am glad you have found a good source for your meat. The Dr. Oz show on the topic was disturbing...though not nearly as much as others I have seen. And you have also found a way to bypass the corporate meat industry and support a local business. All good.

You should be just fine watching the video by Joel Salatin, as he is presenting farming the way it used to be, and the way it still should be. Putting aside the whole humane issue, and the health issues, the old method of farming is healthier for the land, and saves the countless expense and pollution that is caused by shipping our food thousands of miles.