PDA

View Full Version : Prednisone is a harsh mistress

chris.wg
07-02-2014, 10:34 PM
So, as I believe I stated in a post elsewhere I am back on pred for the transition between ctx and rtx. Im nearing the end of week 6 of it on a 7 week step down regiment. 6 weeks later I gained 18 lbs. That's a lot more weight then I have gained in a long time over even 3 month. So to help counter some of the eating like a horse habits this drug brings out in me I started walking again today at our local state park. We have a woodland / marsh trail I use to walk ALOT out of high school. Maybe once I feel a little more in shape I'll pick up some of my other old habits. Now only if I could find a private pool near by I can use..... That and once upon a time I ran track and studied tae kwon do. I was never anything special at it but was good exercise. My legs were in better shape within 6 months then they were the 2 years of high school track and 2 years of jh cross country. So yeah tae kwon do may be back in my future. <feeling positive which usually makes me bite off more then I can chew> None the less I would like some help keeping up on the walking and the future stuff well..... we will see. Occasionally asking me how my walk went will keep me honest with myself. And it may make me find somewhere inside to walk over winter.

Beverly
07-03-2014, 03:11 AM
You go for it chris.wg!! Of course with moderation.. I am with you as I limp around the house or use my resistance chair. I need encouragement also, especially on days when I don't feel so great.

It sounds like you have a lot of experience to draw from. I will be cheering :thumbup: you on as you try to get rid of 18 lbs & I about 50 lbs!! :w00t: Scary....:lol:

Don't forget the water :razz:!!!!!

Should we meet under this same "thread" tree again? Or a new one each time?

Pete
07-03-2014, 06:19 AM
There is a thread. "Any virtual workout buddies out there?" where we can keep track of our efforts, encourage one another, and discuss new/different exercise regimens.

chris.wg
07-03-2014, 09:02 AM
Either one works for me. The one thought I had in my mind today is if I were to ever progress beyond the walking and back into a martial art Tae kwon do probably would be the wrong one for someone with WG. Most of the power from your kicks and punches is derived from a relaxed extention that at the very end becomes extremely taunt and tight. It essentially snaps all your major joints locking them into place. Not so sure I should be doing that. Maybe ill have to look into something like tai chi. If offered in this area. Judo would probably be out with the throwing around.

windchime
07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Probably not a good idea while on the pred anyway. Have you had a bone density scan to check your bones?

Beverly
07-03-2014, 01:21 PM
The closest I would get to tai chi, Chris, would be drinking my chai tea! I did my share of judo last wk ending up on the bathroom floor and I have a huge purple bruise on my arm to prove it :lol:.

Sorry, Pete, I forgot about the other thread. Must be the wg or meds or both.

Pick something Chris and go with it. You know your limitations better that anyone. Just be smart and use your energy wisely. I am telling myself this also :rolleyes1:.

Did you start today???????

chris.wg
07-04-2014, 02:43 PM
I have already started the walking as for a martial art it will be after I feel a bit better in shape again. I guess tae kwon do is my preferred since 1 I have some experience in it and 2 I have always been leg orientated and it is a heavy kicking martial art. My problem is concern will the snaping motion in my joints lead to a possible flare.

Alysia
07-04-2014, 05:10 PM
walking is so important and helpful. but do it only in the rate that you feel comfortble with. be careful not to walk too fast or too much.

chris.wg
07-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Ok 2 weeks off because of being sick today I feel better I'm not going to over do it tonight but over the next few days the walking begins again. I hate that I only had 1 week or so in when I got sick. But I can't let a little set back stop me.

Debbie C
07-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Chris ,go buy a pedometer and try to increase it a little each time. I live surrounded by a park so I walk alot and it is up and down hills. And I started going back to yoga yesterday, it make me feel so good that I am going to go twice a week again and there is also a pilates and a tai chi class I am thinking about checking out. I gotta be outside while the weather is good. This summer is going by so fast and winter will be here before you know it. Good luck and I hope you feel better soon to get into a routine

chris.wg
08-01-2014, 08:27 AM
So yesterday I was out at my normal walking grounds early and not rushed to get out before it closed. The path is a 2.5 mile path and while I was feeling it in my lungs by the time I finished I am proud to say completed.... This includes going up 2 observation towers which honestly felt like more exercise then the walks themselves :P Over the next week or 2 I will add in some more of the extra's it offers. The only disadvantage...... The soft serve ice cream shop on the way home got a visit. But it was the first time I visited it while walking out that way. Its just too located too close to the path for my own good :P