PDA

View Full Version : Is One's Immunity Strength In Direct Porportion To ...

TOBEY32
06-27-2014, 03:22 AM
the amount of immune-suppressant one takes (i.e.: less meds, more immunity)?

David

pberggren1
06-27-2014, 03:37 AM
It is not in direct proportion but does play a major role.

Alysia
06-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Hi David,
nice to see you around. I missed you :hug1:
I think that there is some correlation: when I was on both rtx and mtx I had more infections.
when I stopped the mtx and remain only with rtx and pred, the infections became less although I still have some from time to time.

LisaT
06-28-2014, 01:26 AM
I feel like throwing the bactrim into the mix also makes a big difference. It's just my hunch that this is helping to keep the crusties and coughing at bay for me...

pberggren1
06-28-2014, 01:30 AM
It probably is Lisa. I used to take Bactrim in the early days but I don't think it was ever any benefit for me. Now I can't take it because of interstitial nephritis. Do you do nasal rinses?

LisaT
06-28-2014, 01:37 AM
Yup. I sometimes forget when I'm feeling well and then things start to build up and I realize I can no longer breathe through my nose, so start rinsing again... And using cough medicine to thin the stuff.

pberggren1
06-28-2014, 01:41 AM
What cough med do you use Lisa? I tried Benelyn with the mucus thinning stuff but it had the opposite effect. It made it a lot harder to cough up the mucus.

LisaT
07-01-2014, 12:37 AM
What cough med do you use Lisa? I tried Benelyn with the mucus thinning stuff but it had the opposite effect. It made it a lot harder to cough up the mucus.
That's very strange. Did you make sure you got the Benylin mucous and phlegm with no other active ingredient? There are about six different versions and some contain a cough suppressant, which could dry things up instead of thinning and moving them up and out which is what the expectorant (guaifenesin) does.

pberggren1
07-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Oh yes, it was the one with the guaifenesin in it.

LisaT
07-01-2014, 12:17 PM
But only guaifenesin? Some have guaifenesin and another active ingredient. You want no other active ingredients.

pberggren1
07-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Trust me, I have 4 friends in town here that are pharmacists and they all understand what bronchiectasis is and know what I need. I ask all 4 of them just to be certain.

Pete
07-01-2014, 03:00 PM
the amount of immune-suppressant one takes (i.e.: less meds, more immunity)?

David

It's more of a balancing act. The docs are trying to suppress the immune system just enough so it doesn't attack its own host (our body) while still maintaining an ability to fight off other infections. If you're in a medication-induced remission and otherwise in pretty good shape, you should be able to fight off colds and flu without too much trouble.

annekat
07-01-2014, 03:05 PM
That's very strange. Did you make sure you got the Benylin mucous and phlegm with no other active ingredient? There are about six different versions and some contain a cough suppressant, which could dry things up instead of thinning and moving them up and out which is what the expectorant (guaifenesin) does. That's a good way of explaining it, Lisa, and I also use the expectorant without the cough suppressant, and for me, it works faster and better than the guaifenesin in tablet form (Mucinex). I may have to take it several times a day depending on how much troublesome non-productive coughing I'm doing. And the cough suppressant stuff is BAD to take continuously; it is dextromethorphan, and it has a rebound effect after a few days, making the dry coughing worse.

However, we have been over and over this with Phil on other threads, and I guess I ended up being convinced that his condition of bronchiectasis is different enough from our typical Weggie stuff that it doesn't work for him for some reason. I'm wondering what the explanation is, though... maybe the stuff starts to get coughed up and then gets trapped somewhere, according to how that illness changes the bronchs, and then somehow blocks itself from moving, or something. Pure speculation based on almost no knowledge!

annekat
07-01-2014, 03:07 PM
It's more of a balancing act. The docs are trying to suppress the immune system just enough so it doesn't attack its own host (our body) while still maintaining an ability to fight off other infections. If you're in a medication-induced remission and otherwise in pretty good shape, you should be able to fight off colds and flu without too much trouble. Good explanation, Pete, and gets us back on topic.

Alysia
07-01-2014, 04:26 PM
However, we have been over and over this with Phil on other threads, and I guess I ended up being convinced that his condition of bronchiectasis is different enough from our typical Weggie stuff that it doesn't work for him for some reason. I'm wondering what the explanation is, though... maybe the stuff starts to get coughed up and then gets trapped somewhere, according to how that illness changes the bronchs, and then somehow blocks itself from moving, or something. Pure speculation based on almost no knowledge!

Batman is special :love:
some things that work for some of us, don't work for others. for example, so many here are doing nose rinsining. I coudln't bear them. the fluids of the rinse get into my ears and made me terrible pains in the ears and also infections. so no rinses for me.