PDA

View Full Version : Blood Vessels

chris.wg
06-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Ok this is not a complaint or even a concern. This is more a curiosity. For the past 2 years I, as I'm sure most of you, have been a pin cushion with blood draws. Initial hospital visit and now the rituxam treatments. From what I have noticed EVERY nurse or phlebotomist says oh you have good veins this should be easy. But 1 in around 5 miss. I believe my veins move a bit and despite being large is the cause of the trouble. Just kind of wondering if anyone else has noticed any thing similar that may show signs of this being WG or just me. I do know others without any kind of vasculitis who are a similar boat as me. So I thought I would put this question out here.

LisaT
06-24-2014, 08:00 AM
I don't have that problem. Just one arm that seems to have 'better' veins than the other.

I've been wondering whether my worsening varicose veins and bruises that seem to come from nowhere are a sign of GPA/WG (and if happening presently, is does that mean flare /disease activity). similar topic so I thought I'd throw it in here. Hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread. :redface::redface:

Debbie C
06-24-2014, 11:40 AM
My veins are almost non exsistant. They are so small they have to use the smallest needle they have and then they still have trouble,and my veins used to be great. I have been noticing alot more lately that if I just bump something I get red blotches under my skin. The dr. said its my capillaries ?????

Pete
06-24-2014, 02:25 PM
My veins have a slight tendency to roll during venipuncture. I advise the tech/nurse of the possibility. They make an adjustment to their procedure. I've had no problems with the puncture itself. Once in awhile, I won't bleed, so they have to try again in a different vein. I bruise more easily now. I think it's due to both long-term pred use and aging.

Jaypfei
06-24-2014, 04:08 PM
I usually have to have the smallest needles and blood draws are sometimes a hit or miss, sorry for the pun. Yep, all I hear is "tiny, tiny veins!" Drawing blood has finally come to the point where they draw from my hands. No, I never used to have this problem prior to Dx's . My veins used to jump up and were easy to draw from. So yes, I think it's the GPA.

LisaT
06-25-2014, 12:45 AM
Strange. It's counter-intuitive, I would have thought inflammation would make the veins larger rather than smaller. I guess I don't quite understand the inflammatory process...

pberggren1
06-25-2014, 03:22 AM
The inflammation occurs on the inside of the vessel walls and makes the cross section area of the vessel smaller. So therefore, less blood will get through the vein. And sometimes the inflammation will leave behind scar tissue.

annekat
06-25-2014, 04:11 AM
The inflammation occurs on the inside of the vessel walls and makes the cross section area of the vessel smaller. So therefore, less blood will get through the vein. And sometimes the inflammation will leave behind scar tissue. Thanks for that explanation, Phil. Fortunately, my veins for drawing blood are still as big as they always were, and I get compliments on them. I guess the vasculitis activity in my arms is not that great.

chris.wg
06-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Well had my 3rd rituxam treatment today and as I warned the nurse about the veins she didn't miss persay but it moved and while she got the iv in she was concerned because it didn't seem to break thru the vein until the very end so we did a different tap just to make sure. But no bruising from the first tap at least.

But yeah they all see my veins and say oh those are nice big should be easy to get it there then a decent amount as I said miss anyways.

Michael Bell
06-26-2014, 02:42 PM
I'm a lefty when it comes to my monthly bloods. My right arm just does not want to give( possibly it had a bad scare when I was watching a vampire movie) although it was not too bad when I was in ICU. Sometimes the plebologists that attend my local clinic can still miss but not often thank goodness. I do have a lot of scaring on my left elbow from all the times blood is drawn, I await the moment the police get a look and have me down as a drug addict. My next post could well be from inside one of Her Britanic Majesties Prisons, possibly Strangeways.
Mike

chris.wg
06-26-2014, 03:32 PM
I'm a lefty when it comes to my monthly bloods. My right arm just does not want to give( possibly it had a bad scare when I was watching a vampire movie) although it was not too bad when I was in ICU. Sometimes the plebologists that attend my local clinic can still miss but not often thank goodness. I do have a lot of scaring on my left elbow from all the times blood is drawn, I await the moment the police get a look and have me down as a drug addict. My next post could well be from inside one of Her Britanic Majesties Prisons, possibly Strangeways.
Mike
Lol lets hope not. But yes the blood draws are frequent. Combine that with my daily diabetic testing <no need for drugs yet thank god> and I'm surprised I have any blood left :P

vdub
06-26-2014, 03:35 PM
I really don't have a clue, but I wouldn't think Wegs would have much to do with the veins they draw blood from. I think its more than anything the luck of the draw on your genes. As for the blood bruise after a bump.... best guess is pred. But I certainly don't have any advance biology degrees....

mishb
06-26-2014, 09:43 PM
I need the vampire to draw blood from my veins :crying:

It is not WG related, my veins have always been impossible and they miss all of the time or they don't give any or enough blood.

If you go to the local pathology, they are only allowed to try twice before getting someone else to try. The maximum is 5 tries before they send you away to try again tomorrow. I get the same old question - you have been drinking water haven't you :razz:
If I get it done at the hospital, they seem to be able to try as many times as they need too.
In the inside of the arm, in the forearm, on the back of the hand, top of foot......wherever they can. Then the big blood bruise appears afterwards.

It is hereditary. My mum is the same and so is my grandfather. My husband and kids don't have any issues at all.

Thankfully, I only need it done every 10 to 12 weeks instead of fortnightly or monthly.

Mike_Milliorn
06-27-2014, 12:30 AM
In my case (Similar experience to you) it has only gotten worse the longer you are on prednisone and or Coumadin. Even for infusions of Rituximab. Usually takes three tries to get IV started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaT
06-27-2014, 12:34 AM
In my case (Similar experience to you) it has only gotten worse the longer you are on prednisone and or Coumadin. Even for infusions of Rituximab. Usually takes three tries to get IV started

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ouch. :sad: Sorry those of you who have this trouble have to go through this every time...

LisaT
06-27-2014, 12:37 AM
The inflammation occurs on the inside of the vessel walls and makes the cross section area of the vessel smaller. So therefore, less blood will get through the vein. And sometimes the inflammation will leave behind scar tissue.

So this leads me to believe the hideous huge varicose veins appearing on my legs are a separate issue... Will ask my doc when I see her today...

JeanMarie
06-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Just finished my 3rd RTX infusion. Week one - 6 stabs, week 2--5 stabs, week 3--2 stabs. I guess the nurse is getting better (she's new) but I really felt like smacking her. :rolleyes1:
Very hard to sit & smile while they are screwing around. But anything you say will only make them nervous so I just sit & smile.

I've been told prednisone makes blood draws difficult. Also I've noticed, when I start to flare, the techs start to have problems long before I feel sick. Another joy of this wonderful disease

vdub
06-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Each summer (we have started summer in this part of the world) the nurse and phlebotomy students descend on my lab for training. They have to have something like a 100 practice pokes plus 25 on each other before being let loose on society. I was #1 for a young lady and, even though I have really good "pokable" veins, she was having a very tough go of it.

She had tried 3 times without success and was supposed to quit. She was about in tears, so I told her she was doing fine and keep trying on the other arm. After 2 more pokes she got it. She was a very happy young lady. She's now been hired by that lab never fails to say hi when I come in, which is way too often.

LisaT
06-28-2014, 01:33 AM
This is slightly off-topic, but in case anyone was wondering about bruising as I mentioned above, my doc yesterday said it's likely related to the prednisone. Sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere, just thought I should report back in case someone reading this is wondering the same. Of course still mention it to your own doc of you're having the problem. My bruises usually come from children flying at me and their bony limbs stabbing my legs... They literally launch their bodies at mine from across the room... :lol: On the bright side it makes me feel madly loved...

pberggren1
06-28-2014, 01:35 AM
I can remember my mom complaining I have a bony bum.....lol

Jayne 14
06-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Ive always bruised quite easily , now I'm on pred it's crazy !!!
Like a peach !!
But never had a problem with drawing blood " you've got great veins " is the usual line !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk