PDA

View Full Version : Scared and stressed

Miska
06-20-2014, 01:06 PM
So I found out last week that the hospital is shutting my department down where I work. So Sept 5th I will be out of a job! I am so scared about losing my insurance and being able to pay for my medical bills. I am scared this is going to get me depressed. After 14 years of working there, I am in shock. I feel like my WG symptoms are at a record high...rash, trachea stenosis, joint pain, nasal crusting. I am taking my pain meds to the max every day. I have a game plan but I am scared to death. Thanks for listening. No one (not even my husband) is listening or understanding.

pberggren1
06-20-2014, 01:29 PM
I will pray for you Miska. I can't imagine the stress you are under. And then not having a supportive husband.......I can't imagine. I'm at a loss for words. If the symptoms you list are new or worsening then it sure sounds like active Wegs to me and you need to treat that ASAP. Do you have a good doc?

sbeach78
06-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Sorry your having such a hard time, but vent away. Trust me we all need to vent sometimes. I lost my job due to my illness, so I understand i just felt helpless. I hope things get better for you and maybe this end is just the beginning of something better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Debbie C
06-20-2014, 01:37 PM
I am listening Miska.:smile1: What job do you do at the hosp?.You still have 1 1/2 months there,can you check with H.R and see if there is another job in the hosp? Since you are in the medical field there should be alot of jobs around the Houston area. And if not you can collect unemployment until you can find something. As far as your hosp.bills and meds. go, you can always apply for the good old Obama care or see about getting medicaid. You have lots of areas and lots of time,start looking around and try not to get so stressed out. Things will work out.Remember when one door closes another always opens. What was your game plan ? Good luck.

Miska
06-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Thank y'all very much. Yes Phil, I already have an appt with my Rheumy. I am praying that this opens a new, beautiful door in my life.

Miska
06-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Debra, I am a radiation therapist. I treat cancer patients. No jobs available either in our system or outside. My game plan includes my severance package will give me enough money to finish CT (cat scan) school. Then hopefully a job in ct. Praying that my WG stays away while I do this. But unfortunately I am in the middle of another flare.

me2
06-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Miska this sounds like a difficult time for you. As if a flare wasn't enough. I'm sorry you are not getting the support you need at home, I know what that feels like too.
At least you can come here and talk to us.
I don't know anything about the type of work you do but I wonder , since you have work experience already if you could start looking for a CT job before you even finish school? Or , might you even find some place that would help put you through school with hiring you in mind? Sorry if these are crazy ideas, but I though I would just throw them out there.
Taking care of your WG and of yourself is of course your first priority. I hope you get a good plan for this when you see your Rheumy.
I would also suggest counseling and if that is not an option ( or even if it is) don't forget to do things that bring you peace and nurture your soul.
For me it is trips down to my garden. I sit in the dirt and just zone out.
Another thing for me is playing music on my dulcimer. It just brings me peace and comfort.
And movies. ha Yes, just ditzing out on a nice mindless movie is therapy.
Tend to the things that work for you . Make time for this kind of thing. Take care of yourself the way that you know how.

BookNut
06-20-2014, 02:43 PM
Miska, I am SO sorry to hear about the stress you are inder. I like the sound of your game plan though. It will expand your qualifications and make it easier to find a job. What does your doctor say about your current condition?

windchime
06-21-2014, 12:56 AM
Hi Miska, I'm sorry you are going through this and in the middle of a flare to boot. I've been in your shoes (minus the spouse) so I know what it's like to lose your job and have an uncertain future. It can be done though. I made a major move when the company I was working for downsized. I moved myself and two kids from Wash state to Florida to be near my parents. I found a job with a government agency where I stayed for 15 years. Totally different line of work I might add. The point of that was to tell you, you will be okay. As stressful as this is right now, and it is I know, everything will be alright.

Does your husband have insurance that he can add you to? That would take care of that issue. With the new health care rules in effect there is no problem with preexisting conditions. You will also be offered your own insurance under COBRA for a higher premium but that's an option.

Your husbands lack of understanding/support could be his own fears coming to the surface and this is how he is dealing with them especially if you depend on your income.

I agree with the finding things to do that are relaxing for you. Even if it's only for a few hours mental escape is important especially during stressful times,

Miska good luck with whatever path you take. It sounds as if you have a solid plan in place to over come this hiccough in your life. Come talk to us often as you go through this trying time. We're great listeners and advice givers. And best of all this is a no judgement zone. Best to you and here are some gentle hugs for you. :hug2::hug2:

LisaT
06-21-2014, 02:03 AM
So I found out last week that the hospital is shutting my department down where I work. So Sept 5th I will be out of a job! I am so scared about losing my insurance and being able to pay for my medical bills. I am scared this is going to get me depressed. After 14 years of working there, I am in shock. I feel like my WG symptoms are at a record high...rash, trachea stenosis, joint pain, nasal crusting. I am taking my pain meds to the max every day. I have a game plan but I am scared to death. Thanks for listening. No one (not even my husband) is listening or understanding.
I'm not sure what the law is on this in your area but definitely check: in Canada, if you lose your job, the company medical insurer must allow you a 'window' to buy in to the insurance plan for the same premium, which will always be a better price than trying to obtain private medical insurance with serious pre-existing conditions. The window of time is very short. I think 30 or 60 days, so the sooner you look into it the better. Maybe even let the insurer know you plan to do this and get a hold of the forms in advance. If it is in fact a legal obligation there. I hope so!!! Just noticed you're in Texas, a very tough state for employees w.r.t. Employers' legal obligations unfortunately. But still worth looking into.

On a more personal note, I'm sorry you're in such a difficult situation. The stress and financial worry certainly don't help the condition. It is very lonely when loved ones don't understand. We are here, and we totally get it... I just received notice this morning that my former insurer, which basically dumped me (but I know pays permanent disability to others with the same disease and symptoms) scheduled an eight-day trial for my claim... In June 2015! (With full awareness that I don't have the energy to comfortably make it through one full day in court. I wasn't able to manage half days on my own computer at home in pjs and they know that too, so they're hoping I'll just quietly roll over like so many others.) I will give my evidence lying on the courtroom floor if I have to, but I will not quietly go away so they can keep their billions. Hopefully it won't come to that, but if it does I plan to make an example of them and hope that the court will too.

Please make sure first and foremost to take care of yourself. Do you have paid sick days? It sounds like now might be a good time to use them to get some extra rest, medical care, whatever it takes to get your symptoms and stress under control. Please keep us posted and know that I'm rooting for you! And what is up with dense husbands? Mine is an ostrich... Buries his head in the sand when things get too stressy. :predrage: So, i feel your pain. I hope you feel better.

Alysia
06-21-2014, 10:06 PM
Hi Miska,
I only now reading your thread..... I echo what the friends wrote above.
I hope that you can heal from that flare asap. what meds are you taking ?
this is the first thing to deal with. prob the flare was caused from the stress (stress makes me infections and/or flaring).
you have a good profession. I guess that you will be able to find some place to work at, eventough it might take some time. but you still have time to search as long as you are stilll at the current place.
as for support, if you dont get it at home, please come here. we are with you, holding your hands, with understanding and prayers and love. :hug2: