PDA

View Full Version : Renal diet anyone?

sbeach78
06-13-2014, 02:06 AM
Well as some may know my kidney biopsy was Tuesday. Though I have not gotten the results yet they want me on a renal diet. Which basically means take my whole pantry donate it to charity and buy stuff that's going to taste blander then a peice of cardboard without salt.Anyone have any recipes maybe so maybe I don't starve?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

BookNut
06-13-2014, 02:35 AM
Well as some may know my kidney biopsy was Tuesday. Though I have not gotten the results yet they want me on a renal diet. Which basically means take my whole pantry donate it to charity and buy stuff that's going to taste blander then a peice of cardboard without salt.Anyone have any recipes maybe so maybe I don't starve?

healthy eating is an area of great interest to me. I will do some research today. Can you give me a brief outline of what you have been told so far? Thanks!!

sbeach78
06-13-2014, 02:40 AM
Well they told me to cut back on meat, avoid diary, no nuts, and no whole grain. Also no fruits that are high in potassium.

me2
06-13-2014, 03:21 AM
I just did a quick search on renal diet. I see that there are a lot of 'don't eat' things on the list. Things you were probably used to eating in the past. I wouldn't not focus too much on the don't eat list and start building a list and personal library of things you CAN eat. Focus on finding those things. Try and make it as fun and interesting as possible.
I know , this is not always easy. I have made dietary changes myself in the past and the key is to focus on what you can do, not on what you can't.
Hopefully you have time to post some of what you find here and others will share their experience of how they coped and things they found.

BookNut
06-13-2014, 06:05 AM
I have not had a chance to research it yet. My brain is tired and slow today. But I CAN manage to watch TV. I am watching PBS Create TV, and the cooking show I just finished was called "Jazzy Vegetarian". There are recipes online. It seems as if many of them would work well for you with some modifications. she uses a lot of whole grain unfortunately. I wonder if white flour or gluten free flours could be substituted on your diet? I have a decent gluten free recipe for bread machine bread, if gluten free is your only option. It is made with Jules GF Flour, which is made with a variety of non-wheat flours, and already has the guar gum added, so it can be subbed cup for cup for regular flour. It can be easily ordered online. You can usually find gluten free bread crumbs at the grocery store, and also online. The bread is just not as good as regular bread. But it is good toasted, and is easy to make with a bread machine. I'd be happy to send you the recipe if you decide to try it.

Must feel good to be back home!

sbeach78
06-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Trust me I understand tired, not sure about gluten free, but it makes since I will do more research.

LisaT
06-13-2014, 07:39 AM
If you don't have a problem with legumes (beans, peas) I find them a good filling substitute for former comfort foods. They also pack a good protein punch. What flavours do you like? I like chick pea, lentil or veggie curries, many of which are or can be made with coconut milk (dairy is also a no-no for me). If you're not into Indian spices, try using beans and rice and poultry in different Mexican dishes. I will suggest more later (nap time for me :)), but that was my initial thought. When I first gave up wheat and dairy I found it very hard to feel full or satisfied without them. Legumes helped. I'm also curious whether you are supposed to avoid all grains or just those with gluten. Brown rice and some of the other gluten free grains are good for you but I don't know whether they are ok kidney wise.

rebekah
06-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Hmmm... I'm trying to remember what I ate when I was on the renal diet before my kidney transplant. It was tough at first, but there are still things I liked that I was able to eat.

Fruit: Bananas aren't recommended (I still ate them now and again - just not every morning like I normally do), but other fruits such as apples, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, and pears are good. Since it's summer there is fresh fruit available, but you can buy frozen fruit and mix it with juice to make smoothies. I would usually make smoothies since they're a little more filling than eating fruit alone.
Vegetables: spinach, lettuce, bell peppers, green beans, broccoli, carrots and corn are some that I ate. You could make a salad with fresh fruit (it's my favorite thing during the summer). Bell peppers are good as a snack on their own, maybe with some dip, or in an omelette. Stuffed peppers might be another good idea.
Bread and Pasta: Cheerios, oatmeal, bagels, white or whole wheat bread, english muffins, rice... I would also eat pancakes or french toast for breakfast.
Proteins: these don't need to be eliminated, just limited. I still ate meat, poultry, fish, eggs, and dairy but in smaller portions. I might make rice or pasta with chicken and a vegetable for dinner.
Dairy: it contains a decent amount of potassium and phosphorus so we're told to limit our intake. This was the hardest for me since I LOVE ice cream (I have a huge bowl every night before bed). I learned to watch how much I ate, and it wasn't that bad... There are dairy alternatives such as rice, almond, and coconut milk which may be an good alternative to regular milk. I'm not entirely sure on the amount of potassium in them, so I would read the label before using it.

I think the biggest thing I was told, was to not add salt to my food.

If I can think of anything else you CAN eat, I'll come back and add to this. Hope this helps some.

BookNut
06-13-2014, 09:04 AM
I have been meaning to post this delicious recipe. It DOES include nuts and cheese....but they could easily be left out if not allowed on a renal diet. My husband LOVES this. Actually, I would say that roasted vegetables might become your new best friends. It imparts a different flavor to veggies, and will help,stave off boredom. Boiled veggies can be pretty bland and monotonous.

Please forgive me if I have posted this before. My brains are scrambled a bit with prednisone at the moment.

Tuscan-Style Roasted Asparagus
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.

Ingredients
1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved (sliced or quartered whole tomatoes are fine)
3 tablespoons pine nuts (I use walnuts or pecans)
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I prefer shredded parm or shredded swiss)
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel

Directions
Preheat oven to 400°. Place the asparagus, tomatoes and pine nuts
on a foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Mix 2 tablespoons oil,
garlic, salt and pepper; add to asparagus and toss to coat.
Bake 15-20 minutes or just until asparagus is tender. Drizzle with
remaining oil and lemon juice; sprinkle with cheese and lemon peel.
Toss to combine. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 95 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
© Taste of Home 2014

marylz
06-13-2014, 10:25 AM
you made me laugh!!! (the original post, I mean)