PDA

View Full Version : Constipation...UGH

debhaz22
06-11-2014, 11:59 PM
I am on MTX and Prednisone and ever since I started I've had problems with constipation,bloating... Does anyone else have this embarrassing issue going on?? Is it from the meds? Or the WG? I've tried everything.
Thanks for any advice...

sbeach78
06-12-2014, 12:41 AM
I am not o. MTX but I know that if I am not eating eough fruit, o believe the pred. Causes slight constipation, but most likely its a diet thing..do you eat a lot of diary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

me2
06-12-2014, 01:38 AM
I have become an expert. Though thankfully I no longer need to be. My system has returned to normal and no longer needs me to be so smart. I learned the tricks from my sister-in-law nurse who works in an assisted living facility where this problem is common. When I was on lots of other meds I was having trouble and having surgeries and taking pain meds I really had trouble. I didn't listen to her full advice right away and I wish I had.
I was taking Senna as a laxative and it worked pretty well but she kept telling me the most effective thing was to take a laxative and a stool softener at the same time. Boy was she right.
So try Senna as the laxative and docusate sodium as the stool softener. Take both of them. It works miracles (did for me anyway) and is very gentle.

Of course diet is not to be ignored either. I was already on a stellar diet of whole foods and still having trouble.

debhaz22
06-12-2014, 01:48 AM
I eat tons of fruit, veggies, fiber and water. Never had a problem before this.

Debbie C
06-12-2014, 03:01 AM
Deb, I have this tea,you can get at almost any drugstore, it's called "Smooth Move " ( of all things !!!) but it is made from the leaves that make Sennacot. I have a cup at night,use less water to make it stronger and the next morning you are good to go :biggrin1:. I don't drink it all the time just when things get bad. Good luck

Alysia
06-12-2014, 03:15 AM
be careful with that tea.
I don't think that pred and mtx cause constipation :unsure: but maybe not to me....
try to drink lots of water and to walk every day. take the meds with food and omperzole.

BookNut
06-12-2014, 05:59 AM
I am on MTX and Prednisone and ever since I started I've had problems with constipation,bloating... Does anyone else have this embarrassing issue going on?? Is it from the meds? Or the WG? I've tried everything.
Thanks for any advice...

Everyone is different, no matter their med mix. For instance, Alysia talks about ompezole, which actually caused constipation for me. I use Natural Factors Acidophilus Bifidus. It is the digestive regulating elements found in yogurt...but MUCH higher doses. Mine contains 5 billion active cells. My "hippy" PCP prescribes it and it has been very effective. I RARELY have an issue. And I like the fact that i am preventing a problem rather than fixing a problem after it has begun. Good luck!

Michael Bell
06-12-2014, 07:19 AM
A table spoon of olive oil a day helps as a natural stool softener. Always remember to take orally.
Mike

MikeG-2012
06-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for any advice...
Ask your doc Deb. I know, it's embarrassing to ask, but I did and I got a sample prescription--two bottles of 10 pills each. One pill did the trick over night.

Your doc should be able to answer based upon everything you are going through. This is not something to taken for granted. My Dad wound up in an ER on vacation with an impacted bowel, so be careful!

Bing505z
06-12-2014, 10:03 AM
I used DanActive: Danactive | Dannon.com (http://www.dannon.com/danactive/) . It also helps your immune system. In addition to that I ate crushed flax seed (make sure its "crushed"): FLAXSEED: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-991-FLAXSEED.aspx?activeIngredientId=991&activeIngredientName=FLAXSEED) . Read about the flax seed at the link I provided, you will be impressed with what all this seed helps with.

debhaz22
06-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the great tips! I really appreciate your guidance. I go back to JH on Tue. and I'll talk to Seo about it.
Deb H
(That's "Bulldog" to you Mike ;)

jvilner
06-12-2014, 07:33 PM
I've had this problem for years and been on everything under the sun. Miralax is the best thing ever for me and works gently.

windchime
06-12-2014, 10:22 PM
I've had this problem for years and been on everything under the sun. Miralax is the best thing ever for me and works gently.

I second the Miralax. It's very gentle.

Lilly
06-12-2014, 10:58 PM
I eat tons of fruit, veggies, fiber and water. Never had a problem before this.

I may be wrong, but I feel like possibly pred. , methotrex, etc. changes many things in our bodies. I know it does something to our pituitary gland. At least that's what Doctors said to me years back. So maybe it has changed your bowel habits, and you have gotten a lot of good advice. One of my pain Dr.s told me to eat an apple or two a day. With the darkest red skin on it. It is a natural softener and laxative. But It does not work for me anymore. (it used to, but my meds got stronger. :-( )