PDA

View Full Version : Employment with WG

sbeach78
06-06-2014, 06:35 AM
I lost my job in all this mess we call WG. With no education I have always made a living in labor bound jobs. Wondering what everyone else is doing for a living?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

renidrag
06-06-2014, 06:46 AM
What did you do for a living? I was a Master Plumber, but no longer. Had to go on disability. I'm sure I am much older than you as I was close to thinking of retirement.
Dale

sbeach78
06-06-2014, 06:51 AM
I installed Dish Network TV Systems and Alarm Systems.

windchime
06-06-2014, 10:38 AM
You can apply for social security disability. It's not easy to get through it, but it can be done. I was just approved a couple of weeks ago, I was able to do it with no appeal. That of course depends on your age and how many quarters you've paid in. If you go to the social security web site you can pull up your personal information and it will tell you how you much you would receive (approx) if you were approved for SSD.

If you would like further info on the SSD process PM me and I'll be happy to share what I know.

vdub
06-06-2014, 04:11 PM
Situations like yours are the ones I hate hearing about. I take it you are reasonably young. I am extremely fortunate to have retired a couple years before the WG symptoms showed up. It will take a while (4 years for me), but eventually you could get to a point where you can do the less labor-intensive jobs, but you probably have to go back to school and retrain yourself for different career path. Maybe IT, accounting, banking, etc Something where you think more than you do...

LisaT
06-06-2014, 04:32 PM
You can apply for social security disability. It's not easy to get through it, but it can be done. I was just approved a couple of weeks ago, I was able to do it with no appeal. That of course depends on your age and how many quarters you've paid in. If you go to the social security web site you can pull up your personal information and it will tell you how you much you would receive (approx) if you were approved for SSD.

If you would like further info on the SSD process PM me and I'll be happy to share what I know.

In Canada, you would apply for the CPP disability benefit. Look on Service Canada's website under Canada Pension Plan disability. There is a bit of an art to filling out the application, so it is helpful to have assistance from someone who knows the system and the wording or catch-phrases that will help your application. Perhaps your dr or hospital can provide a social worker to help you. Also, I'm not sure whether you are/were self-employed or working for an employer, but if you have extended health benefits you may be entitled to disability through your insurer, and either way you can apply for Employment Insurance sickness benefits, also through Service Canada. None of this is to say that you won't eventually get back to work. Many on this forum seem to have found a modified version of their former work or even continue to do their previous job... I haven't managed that yet but hope to if/when I regain more energy. But any or all of these benefits can certainly help to ease the stress and any financial strain in the meantime. For CPP they generally deny at first; just appeal. I know the paperwork seems overwhelming... I felt I didn't even have the energy to complete the forms. I actually mentioned that in the form in response to a question about why I couldn't do my work. I told them it had taken a week to complete the application. I couldn't very well get through editing a 1,000 page manual by deadline (what I did until I couldn't do it any more). When they ask you to describe your day and activities you should describe what it is like on your bad/worse days. It would be great if you could just focus on healing and getting your strength back for now, and worry about work later when you feel better. Good luck.

by the way I'm sure SSD and CPP are pretty similar, and Cindy's advice would be useful... Especially because she managed to get approved on her first try without having to appeal.

mishb
06-06-2014, 07:26 PM
I lost my job in all this mess we call WG. With no education I have always made a living in labor bound jobs. Wondering what everyone else is doing for a living?

I'm sorry to hear this but I guess with any manual labour it would be terribly difficult to continue to work in the early stages of WG.
A builder, plumber, brick layer etc, would just find it too hard.

I work in administration/insurance/accounts which is fairly relaxed, just sitting at a computer all day.

I'm sorry that WG has also taken your job. Please look into the disability allowance and hopefully, when you are in remission or even before, when you are feeling good, you can re-apply for your job or something similar.

MikeG-2012
06-06-2014, 11:51 PM
I installed Dish Network TV Systems and Alarm Systems.

I manage an Audio/Visual department at a college. Before diagnosis, I was also the installer of all the A/V gear too. I still do both, but I am not as limber and agile as I used to be. I'm not saying that you will never do what you used to do, you may go back to it. It all depends on how fast you build up strength and how the meds affect you.

dont give in, keep fighting. I do every day!

LisaT
06-07-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm sorry, I think I confused your location with someone else's who recently posted from Canada. I'll leave the reply in case any of it is helpful regardless of location.

sbeach78
06-07-2014, 01:28 AM
All replies are welcome, no worries

BarbW
06-07-2014, 02:10 PM
I am a teacher and an association president. I work really hard and there is always so much
stress. I was diagnosed in April and finally saw a great vasculitis doctor. I start Rituxan next week.
I am 51 and unsure how long I can sustain everything. I hope I get my strength and health back soon.
I did have the foresight to buy disability insurance years ago. Who knew? I just don't ever want to use
it; I have so much to do. the fatigue is awful. I just pushed through the year and am looking for relief.
I started Prednisone two days ago and Cedars is working with my isolated regional hospital so I can have Rituxan close to home. We will see how it goes.

sbeach78
06-07-2014, 02:19 PM
So we were got our diagnosis very close to the same time....

sbeach78
06-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I am on cytoxin and pred.

annekat
06-07-2014, 03:52 PM
At your stage of treatment with CTX and pred, I could barely leave the house, but it did get better. I work at a self-employed business selling things I make at an outdoor market. I don't make a lot of money and was 59 years old at the time so was able to get SS Disability benefits. You can make up to around $1000/mo. to supplement your benefits. After a couple of months I was able to work again on a limited basis. Now after 3 years I'm not quite capable of what I was before diagnosis, but can do a fair amount. The fatigue is definitely a factor and I must pace myself. See how you feel in a couple or three months and then see if maybe you could work part time, but in the meantime, do pursue SS Disability. At your age, though, it might be a bit more of a fight. The fact that you are not currently working, or able to work, should help, especially if it has been a few months since you had to quit.

sbeach78
06-07-2014, 11:02 PM
I do not leave the house much energy is just not there. I tried a few times to set out fishing but casting poles was exhausting. So I just watched from the shade as the family did all the work. Kinda hard to watch, you know I am not use to being out fished...lol

Alysia
06-08-2014, 04:13 AM
I am a teacher and an association president. I work really hard and there is always so much
stress. I was diagnosed in April and finally saw a great vasculitis doctor. I start Rituxan next week.
I am 51 and unsure how long I can sustain everything. I hope I get my strength and health back soon.
I did have the foresight to buy disability insurance years ago. Who knew? I just don't ever want to use
it; I have so much to do. the fatigue is awful. I just pushed through the year and am looking for relief.
I started Prednisone two days ago and Cedars is working with my isolated regional hospital so I can have Rituxan close to home. We will see how it goes.

welcome to the forum Barb. I hope you can get rtx soon and feel better. :hug1:

windchime
06-08-2014, 04:20 AM
One of the hardest things for me to learn was pacing myself so I didn't exhaust myself, plus learn exactly what my limitations were. If you push yourself though the exhaustion you may do more harm than good. This disease doesn't like that or stress. Especially in the beginning be gentle with yourself and allow yourself time to heal and your body needs to adjust to the meds. What ever is going on in your life will be there when you are feeling better or if it isn't it wasn't meant to be anyway.

Although it's hard not to feel guilty there are some things you just need to say no to. I missed my granddaughter's birthday party last Dec because I just couldn't leave the house. I barely made it through Thanksgiving. The kids all survived this (they're adults), but even younger kids can understand when you're sick. My grandkids understand that grandma just can't do some of the things she used to. Be gentle with yourself while you heal.

Bing505z
06-08-2014, 08:45 AM
I’m an oil refinery worker. I make excellent money and have excellent benefits including covered short term disability and long termdisability. My job is like what you are use to: extreme physical work. I was out for four months, had sinus surgery, 2bronch’s, lost my right lung upper lobe (Doc said I wouldn’t miss it anyways)and had to learn how to walk again, but I jumped right back in the saddle with determination.I am off all meds and will test every 4 months to see if I need Rituxan maintenance for every 6 months. Between time, I will keep in touch with my 3doctors (rheumatologist, ENT, and pulmonologist). It was tough getting back to work, I was sore but it is getting easier. I find now that if I sit down for too long, I’ll getreally stiff, and if I stay active I have no problems. I feel great off the Pred’. That junk gave me high blood pressure, increased my heart rate, jackedwith my blood sugar and caused my legs to swell.After a week off that crap, my blood pressure, heart rate, blood sugar, and legs all returned to normal. I startedback to the gym and have removed 15 lbs (in four months I first lost 30 poundsand then gained 50lbs). I have another 20 plus years before I can retire, so Iam in the same boat as you. Get better and get a job , even if it’s a physicaljob (I feel that physical activity heals a lot), with benefits that includedisability. But I do understand at times you can’t be picky. Also, from what I’veread here, I do understand that everyone has different degrees of damage fromthis illness and everyone recovers differently. I work 12 hour shifts, rotating days andnights, and never felt anything to painful to not be able to push through. Ifeel some discomfort also, but discomfort shouldn’t hinder anyone. I eat good:lots of fish and fruits and veggies. I don’t believe in cutting out the fruitbecause of sugar, that is a load of horse crap. Fruits fight inflammation andinfection. I also stretch a lot and theDoc tells me to push a little more each day. Each day I feel better and better,have less fatigue. You can do the same …..no pain … no gain.

sbeach78
06-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Bingz that's awesome you were able to get back to work so quick, I hope I can soon, but with my kidney involvement I bet they won't release me anytime soon. I guess the biopsy should tell us more.

Alysia
06-09-2014, 02:08 AM
welcome Bing :thumbup: I Like your spirit.

Michael Bell
06-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Hi, I am 60 now and work 12 hour shifts days and nights, with 4 days on and 4 days off at a local collage as a safeguarding officer. We have 750 residential students to look after and it can some times take a day or two to recharge my batteries after my 4 days on. The money is not bad and the job is very rewarding. Like you I have worked in very physical occupations most of my life both as a soldier and bricklayer. You should improve in health soon and I hope you can find a decent job.
Mike

Wegetarian
06-15-2014, 09:04 PM
welcome Bing :thumbup: I Like your spirit.

Yeah, me too.

Of course for some that isn't possible. But yeah, I was on sick leave from Aug-Janurary, and then worked 60% until May and now working full time. So it took some time to recover. I also think that I wasn't thinking too great until around March, I suspect the prednisone was affecting my judgement. A bit before I started working full time I no longer felt the fatigue, which is awesome, as it made it a bit difficult to function if need to take a nap during the day.

I work as a consultant in IT-projects, so essentially sitting in front of my computer all day. I do try to exercise at least three times a week, and I seem to have more energy than before the disease. I also don't have a hay-fever, which I used to have every summer. I take it the immunosuppresants (MTX, nasal spray, 5mg of pred) also took care of that, but not sure.