PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Alert! Seeing red right now in more ways than one!

BookNut
06-05-2014, 06:06 AM
Last night my raw throat needed help. So I broke out my bag of cough drops, which I have used many times. Well, I broke out in a red rash on my arms, chest and legs. It was hot and it stung....felt like a lot of little bees stinging at once. The stinging only lasted about an hour, and the redness for a couple of hours. I have had this reaction to some antibiotics, and to a lesser extent to yellow dye # 5. I have concluded that I am allergic to the red dye #40 which is in the cough drops. Many folks on the internet have had a similar reaction....though I never had till now. Thought I should warn you guys.

RANT ALLERT!!

As I posted earlier, my regular appt with my pulmy this week was frustrating on many levels. Although my most troublesome symptoms are shortness of breath, my function tests are generally good. No test was done this week, in spite of me being SOB. He told me that all my breathing issues are due to my chronic sinusitis, and that when I have these symptoms I need to contact my ENT. This morning the SOB was worse, so I contacted my ENT office to ask for a round of prednisone and antibiotic. I am in the third week of being ill, so I don't think i am rushing things. I have TRIED to do without it...but am confined to my chair right now. Anyway, I had to spend several breathless moments on the phone with the nurse. She kept saying that it sounds like a pulmonary problem, not a sinus problem and I should be calling the pulmy. I told he what he had said, and she reluctantly agreed to pass on the info to the ENT.

Basically, right now I feel like the ball in a vigorous game of tennis. And none of us is winning at the moment.

I also have to wonder.... Does this happen to men? I can't help but wonder if either of these guys takes me seriously. I have to wonder if they think i am just a woman making a mountain out of a mole hill. My Pulmy did ask me what I meant by being short of breath. Did I mean just a coughing jag? (coughing is my most visible/audible symptom.. Wheezing isonly audible on a deep exhale). Does he think I am an idiot? I described my levels as follows:

Supermarket level.....breathless when walking from one side to the other
Kitchen Level ..... breathless when walking to my kitchen
Chair level ..... breathless when shifting around too much in my chair.

I told him I had been at chair level recently, but had improved to kitchen level the day I went to see him.

Anyway...sorry for yet another rant. But ....GRRRRR!

Titus3:2
06-05-2014, 06:38 AM
BookNut,I am sorry you are having a hard time.I like your system for describing your SOB.I had an old ENT doc,and he just loved the young ladies,me not too much.So docs can discriminate .Investing in a pulse oximetry might be a good idea if you don't have one.They are about 50.00.I hope you get to feeling better.

annekat
06-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Jacquie, you deserve to have that rant heard. It reminds me of my ENT and pulmy, passing the buck as to which one of them it should concern. It's all related and connected! If you can't breath through your windpipe because of sinus issues, they should both be involved. I have to wonder if these guys have ever been SOB themselves, or if they are just SOBs. Ha, ha, cheap joke. But don't they realize that not being able to breathe is one of the scariest feelings there is? I'm thinking they must not, or they conveniently forget it. Well, anyway, best of luck getting ahold of the pred and antibiotic, those should help a lot. But someone has to get to the bottom of how to permanently alleviate your discomfort.

BookNut
06-05-2014, 07:16 AM
Titus3:2. Ha!! Maybe if I get a facelift to remove a few decades I'd do better!! I should look into the pulse oximetry thing. Does it measure oxygen level! Oddly my levels are usually good. I have an app on my phone that measures my heartbeat. It is usually around 70-75, but is at 108 right now. Thanks!!

Anne, Thanks for your support. I always appreciate your help....you always makes me feel better!

Titus3:2
06-05-2014, 08:25 AM
BookNut,it does measure oxygen level.I bought one at Walgeens drug store.I felt discriminated against by the old ENT professor ,and it was not my imagination that the young women received far better treatment than I did.Take care.

windchime
06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
Jacquie I'm so sorry you are having to go through all this. Do you have a PCP that could coordinate your care? That might be the answer to this back and forth thing. How are your sinuses doing? Are they draining a lot right now? Good luck with everything. Hope you can get the meds you need!!!

Debbie C
06-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Jacquie,with your pulse rate so high you may be getting some anxiety over all these ( which I don't blame you ) but that doesn't help with the breathing either. You should go to th e.r and get all yr drs. in the room and let them battle it out on what they think it is . Also be careful when you get those allergic reactions..they can cause your thoat to close.
My ex-husban was eating red pistacios one time and all of a sudden he got a rash over his body and he was having a hard time breathing,I rushed him to the e.r. which was about 30 mins, away and by the time we got there he almost passed out from not breathing,so please be careful.

BookNut
06-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Yes, it would be great if I could get them altogether! Not sure how I'd get that to happen! Oddly, though the pulse is high, my blood pressure which is often high, is unusually low. 90/55 with a pulse rate of 108. Weird. It was 148/70 last week, and 128/65 two days ago. And the pulse rate was unremarkable. Who knows?!

Allergic reactions that affect the throat wojld be scary. I had a similar reaction to an antibiotic once. Luckily, it did not affect my throat. Again...a bright red stinging rash that lasted a few hours.

You never know. I wonder if the red nits had dye in them? It would be great if foods and meds could be colored with something natural. Seems like beet juice would work. I suspect the answer is going to be sinus surgery. thanks for listening and all your good suggestions. I feel better tonight. Hopefully all will look better in the morning!

Alysia
06-06-2014, 05:09 AM
dear Jacquie.
I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time :crying: I know that you have good docs. still I think that it is time to re-evaluate your state and make some serious thinking about the things that you are suffering from. I would suggest that your doc will make a case conference with miltiple experts to discuss your case.
lots of hugs and prayers heading to you :hug1:

BookNut
06-06-2014, 09:10 AM
dear Jacquie.
I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time :crying: I know that you have good docs. still I think that it is time to re-evaluate your state and make some serious thinking about the things that you are suffering from. I would suggest that your doc will make a case conference with miltiple experts to discuss your case.
lots of hugs and prayers heading to you :hug1:

Thanks so much Alyssa. You will probably see my reply to Cindy Windchime at http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/general-wg-chat/4033-grrrr-medical-mistakes.html

You will see there that I feel we might be on the brink of a new diagnosis and treatments. I will know more tomorrow.

Thanks for your ongoing support!