PDA

View Full Version : Stretch marks on steriods?

murmur
06-01-2014, 08:17 AM
HI everyone!

Ok so I've been on steroids for a while now, but I am on a very low dose currently (7.5mg). Luckily, I avoided any weight gain (lost a lot of weight from the disease anyways) but I have these stretch marks on my hips. I had a biggish stomach from the steroids and it is gone now yet the stretch marks aren't. Any ways to get rid of them? Anyone have similar experiences?

Dirty Don
06-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Depends mostly on your age...skin is elastic up to certain points.

LisaT
06-01-2014, 08:44 AM
I've heard vitamin E oil but I'd check with your own doc before using.

Beverly
06-01-2014, 02:02 PM
Hi Murmur....I haven't told my experiences yet, but I do want to chime in here. My new stretch marks appeared when I had the biggest flare (I really prefer to call it the "attack":sneaky:) which finally brought a dx with 16 days in hospital. The marks were deep & purplely and at the top of left leg in groin area. That was the leg from hip to toes that I was telling EMTs to "cut it off". Just wanted to get away from the pain.
I showed the marks to Rheumy and she said prednisone. I didn't argue, but it was before pred. So, I am fully convinced the wg was the cause. Was also very thin because couldn't eat. Made up for it since then :ohmy: I was 61 (2009) at that time and of course it is still there. Sorry that I can't give you any ideas except to add ditto to Lisa's vitamin E which is very good for skin, and even olive oil. I pray that you will continue to be on low dose pred and report good news to everyone. God bless you:thumbsup:

vdub
06-05-2014, 01:45 PM
I was on heavy steroids when I was 10 (50 years ago). Doubled my weight, then lost it and was normal (weight-wise) for the next 45 years, but the strecth marks remained. Still have them, but they are disappearing somewhat as I gain weight from my new round of steroids. I'm sure that's not the answer you were hoping for.

Barry Forshaw
06-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Alicia gained a lot of weight (approx 5 stone) after taking steroids and lost around 6 stone over the course of a year, and as a result has stretch marks from her shoulders down to her knees. At first they were livid reds and purples but they have mostly turned silvery now. Unfortunately Alicia hasn't found any way to get rid of them. Alicia used Bio-oil for a while but the size and scale of the stretch marks was too much.