PDA

View Full Version : Raw eggs

andrew
09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
I think I know what kind of response I'm going to get but I'm going to ask anyway as I haven't posted in a while....

It has been recommended to me to consume 1 raw egg plus various other ingredients in a morning shake when I wake up. The purpose of this shake is essentially to get the metabolism thumping from first thing in the morning.

Can I get some feedback an the egg? Bad? Good? Indifferent?

{Andrew sits back to view responses sipping a non egg-related beverage}

Sangye
09-25-2009, 12:22 AM
LOL. Andrew, unless you're very strong and healthy and are also taking digestive enzymes, you shouldn't be eating raw eggs. Yes, they are an excellent source of raw protein, which is the purpose for drinking them in the morning. But the risk far outweighs the benefit in your case.

For raw protein, add some raw almond butter. (Peanut butter is inflammatory). Other good sources of raw protein throughout the day are : "rare" or "medium-rare" steak, thick-cut fish (shark, tuna, salmon) with the center not fully cooked, raw nuts and nut butters, and sprouts if you grow them yourself or buy them VERY fresh and rinse the heck out of them.

Sushi is okay if you're not on stomach acid blockers, pred or blood thinners, because you should take digestive enzymes when you eat it (to digest anyone you accidentally ingest). If you're on any of those drugs, taking enzymes is a big no-no and can cause gastric bleeding. Healthy people with healthy guts can eat sushi without a problem. Immune-compromised people shouldn't eat it without enzymes. I know you aren't going to put sushi in your morning shake, but someone is bound to ask about it! :rolleyes:

Jack
09-25-2009, 02:40 AM
UK Government health advice is not to eat raw eggs due to the high incidence of bacterial infections, in particular Salmonella.

jola57
09-26-2009, 06:04 PM
These days eating raw eggs in definitely not indicated, but if you ever do, when I was little my mom and grandma would make this concoction called kogel-mogel made of raw egg yolk and sugar stirred until smooth. I used to love it now when I think of it I get shivers,:p

andrew
09-27-2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks Sangye/Jack/Jola
I'll steer clear then. Thanks Sangye for the suggestion of the ALmond butter. I'll go search for some. Probably in a health food shop yes?? Shame about ths Sushi, I love the stuff! I'm on Losec too. You're saying that I should take digestive Enzymes because I'm on Losec if I'm eating Sushi?

Sangye
09-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Oh, sorry. You definitely should not be eating raw eggs or sushi when you're taking an acid-blocker, because any bugs in your food get a free pass. Stomach acid normally protects us from those guys.

The only safe way immune-compromised people can eat those foods is by taking a digestive enzyme. But most Weggies can't even take enzymes because the combo of enzymes plus acid-blockers, pred and/or blood thinners can cause gastric bleeding.

You can get almond butter in health food stores. Sometimes you can grind it fresh. Mmmmmm.

andrew
09-28-2009, 07:53 PM
oooooooohhhhh damn ok. Looks like one of my favourite foods is down the tubes then *sobs* :)

I'll grab some almond butter from the health food shop. Grinding it fresh is just beyond me LOL. Thanks for the advice!!!

Sangye
09-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I miss sushi, too. Not that I could afford it anymore (it's crazy expensive in the US), but my taste buds don't know that.:rolleyes:

I should have explained that many health food stores have self-serve ELECTRIC grinders you can use. But picturing you with a grinding bowl full of raw almonds was worth the giggle. :D:D (I made my own peanut butter in Africa that way. Very hard work!)

jola57
09-30-2009, 12:47 AM
For all sushi lovers, you do know that california rolls and such do not have raw fish sooooooo, feast on all cooked versions of sushi and satisfy your craving, I do and have had no problems :D

Sangye
09-30-2009, 01:41 AM
*sigh* I know, I just miss the raw tuna and salmon....:cool:

Doug
09-30-2009, 01:56 AM
I'm sitting here in the middle of beef-growing country, thinking "I really don't feel like red meat this week, but I probably should eat something besides chicken for awhile. I don't care much for pork or ham. Lamb- yuck! Fish that's available isn't in quantities I'm likely to eat in a week or so, however long it takes me to get to the grocery store. Never thought I'd be a toughie for figuring out something good to eat- better check out those forum recipes. That cabbage soup Jolanta put in sounds good. I have cabbage and potatoes. Better check the ingredients list again! How can I be so "inverted-turnip shaped" and be such a fussy eater?:confused::confused:

Sangye
09-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Lamb- yuck??? You're clearly not Greek. I was raised on lamb! But I do understand that if you weren't, it might not be your cup of tea.

jola57
09-30-2009, 02:58 AM
God luck with the soup, let me know how it turned out, just remember to season it to your taste even a bit of sweetener or surgar

Doug
09-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I like retsina and feta cheese, but lamb....!

I'll do that, Jolanta! :)

Sangye
09-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Mmmmm... feta. Got any? ;)

Doug
10-01-2009, 08:36 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.No! (I'm disappointed, too!):eek:

jola57
10-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Feta is not good for immunocompromised folk, its up there with raw fish. So dream on Sangye, but no touch.

Sangye
10-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Jolanta, you probably mean authentic feta, which is not pasteurized. The feta you find in regular grocery stores is pasteurized. Takes a lot of the nutrition out of it, but it does make it safer for those of us with impaired immunity. :rolleyes:

andrew
10-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Jolanta, you probably mean authentic feta, which is not pasteurized. The feta you find in regular grocery stores is pasteurized. Takes a lot of the nutrition out of it, but it does make it safer for those of us with impaired immunity. :rolleyes:

Oh man, I have a lot to learn. Should there be a "what NOT to eat" thread perhaps? :eek::D

Sangye
10-12-2009, 12:16 AM
I think sushi, raw dairy (incl eggs) and sprouts are probably the biggest risks.

Of course, if we're talking general health risks, maybe a "Don't Eat This" thread that includes deep fried Mars bars might be good. LOL-- it still makes me laugh.

Jack
10-12-2009, 01:23 AM
Sprouts?
Is that a joke?

andrew
10-12-2009, 05:27 AM
I think sushi, raw dairy (incl eggs) and sprouts are probably the biggest risks.

Sprouts??? GAAAAAA!!!!! :p

Of course, if we're talking general health risks, maybe a "Don't Eat This" thread that includes deep fried Mars bars might be good. LOL-- it still makes me laugh.

Makes me laugh too....while I'm puking....yuck!!!! I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it :D

Luce
10-12-2009, 05:47 AM
Seriously, sprouts????

I must eat my own (post pred!) weight in sprouts each Christmas, why so bad?

Sangye
10-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Sorry for the alarm-- I thought I explained it earlier but have forgotten.

Sprouts are perfectly safe and an excellent source of raw protein and enzymes (both of which Weggies really need). It's best to grow them yourself, to make sure they're rinsed well each day of sprouting and each day that you keep them in the fridge. Store-bought sprouts or those found on salad bars are famously high in bacteria like e.coli. Alfalfa sprouts seem to be the worst, but that may be because they're the most common. It's very easy to grow your own in a mason jar.

Jack
10-12-2009, 06:31 AM
We seem to have some English / American confusion here! :D

Sprouts in England means Brussel sprouts - very strong tasting little cabbage things. You are obviously refering to sprouting seeds which we refer to as bean sprouts.

Luce
10-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I did wonder on which salad bar I might find Brussel Sprouts!

Sangye
10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
LOL I wondered why you'd be eating tons of sprouts at Christmas!! I totally love Brussel sprouts. No way you're gonna hurt yourself eating those. Thank you for the English translation, Jack!

Bean sprouts are just one type of sprout. There are a lot, and they all taste very different.

Luce
10-13-2009, 06:55 AM
Phew! Let the foul wind that inevitably follows a plate of brussel sprouts commence!

Doug
10-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Brussels sprouts. Nom~nom~nom! I knew there was a reason I liked all you ladies and gents! My favorite all time vegetable!:) x 1000!

jola57
10-13-2009, 04:20 PM
I didn't like them as a child but now I smother them is very slightly browned in oil or butter fine bread crumbs, yes Doug yum yum

Doug
10-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Top heck with Vytorin > bring on those buttered crumbs over Brussels sprouts! Yum! I definitely can try that one!

jola57
10-14-2009, 02:39 PM
They are good over cauliflower and string beans too.

Doug
10-15-2009, 01:37 AM
They are good over cauliflower and string beans too.

I'll try it. I usually put a cheese sauce of these vegetables (when I don't eat them raw- and yes, I like green beans raw!). The buttered crumbs should be less fat and equally good!

jola57
10-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Just had the string beans today, yum