PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh

Squiggled
05-23-2014, 04:20 AM
I just got the call again, the same one I got twice last month. :(. It's my dr's nurse calling to say that I have labs that are so abnormal I must go to the hospital immediately for iv therapy. Well I got that call last month twice! Each time they admitted me for nearly a week. I missed a birthday and Easter. I had a very bad experience in the local hospital and just thinking about it makes me cry. I negotiated for what felt like my life, she said she will speak to the dr about prescribing me supplements and holding off on the hospital admit. I want to chain myself to a tree and say you can't make me go!!!! I am so scared right now, I'm pacing, eating, and shaking. Wish me luck that I can stay home!!! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alysia
05-23-2014, 04:24 AM
Hi Heather,
I am sorry :sad: can you tell more, what is wrong with your labs ? what treatment do you get at the hospital ? I hope it will not take long this time.
take us with you and you will not be alone there.
good luck. prayers..... :hug2:

Squiggled
05-23-2014, 04:27 AM
It sounds so simple but it's low magnesium, which I never knew at my levels is fatal. My creatinine or something he said is thru the roof. He said I have non-existent b12. Oh, and my potassium is gone. I am not sure why my body won't hold onto electrolytes. So confused

Alysia
05-23-2014, 04:29 AM
creatinine should be normal. it is important to make sure it is. it is an indication for the kidney's functioning. I hope all will be ok soon.

Beverly
05-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Hey Heather,
Potas and Mag lows can be dangerous, speaking from experience. However, you seem to be aware and able to talk about it which is good sign. Need to get cked though and bring them back up. We are praying for you and docs to make right decisions in this matter. You are definitely not alone. Take some deep breaths and walk back into peace and calmness God Bless!!

Debbie C
05-23-2014, 05:47 AM
Sorry to hear the news about yr labs. I looked at mine to compare and they never ck my potassium or b12 and they have only cked my mag. 4 times in 3 years. I'll have to ask my pcp when I see him tomorrow cause now I'm curious. But I hope all goes well and they won't admit you. Sound like you just have bad luck around holidays..after this you should be good till the 4th of July . Keep us updated and GOOD LUCK !!!!

annekat
05-23-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm so sorry, Heather. I don't suppose this bodes well for you coming down to the farmers market to meet me on Saturday. Or maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised! But of course your health comes first and just going through these things is extra stressful, so you will need lots of rest even if you aren't admitted to the hospital. I'll be thinking of you, sending out prayers, and looking forward to whenever we do meet.

windchime
05-23-2014, 07:24 AM
Heather I'm sorry you are going through this right now. What is creating this problem? Could it be one of the meds you are on or don't they know?

It is an emergency situation and as much as you don't want to go to the hospital it will probably be necessary. I had to have potassium via IV when I got diverticulitis and threw up continuously for 2 days, that depleted me pretty bad. I remember them being worried about it. Since low potas can affect the heart please reconsider going to the hospital.

Better safe than sorry Heather, your health is most important right now. Why is the hospital stay a week at a time? Please take care and keep us posted. Hugs and prayers to you. :hug2:

Squiggled
05-23-2014, 07:34 AM
Oh no Anne, I'm on a mission to get to the market :) my mother in law is coming with me to help.

Squiggled
05-23-2014, 07:39 AM
And yes, I suppose it is better if I unchain myself from the tree and admit myself. The dr hasn't called me back yet to say go, so I am encouraged.
I don't know why my electrolytes plummet. It started even before the chemo and prednisone. They did tell me if this happens again they are going to to do a lower go and scope thing to see if my body is even able to absorb them properly. I stayed a week because they were giving me the supplements every day and my levels would not budge. To be honest, when the mag was so low, my heart was involved. I had an irregular heartbeat and a second degree heart block. Now they are talking pacemaker. I am only 41! I don't want one yet :(

But yes, I took a nap and feel much more rational. Ty for the awesome support and advice

LisaT
05-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Hi, Heather, it sounds confusing and stressful. I don't know why they can't do the IV and then send you home? Even if you have to go back and forth a bit. Maybe they need to monitor the levels closely. I don't know much about this but I have been told to take magnesium supplements (often you can get a calcium/magnesium combo), but if you're not absorb of it it will just go through you. I've also either read or heard that a 'leaky gut' can cause a lot of autoimmune stuff. Of course you'd want to run it by your own dr., but taking probiotics is supposed to help get your gut in better working condition again. I hope that you get some answers and not just interim solutions soon, and stRt to feel better! I hope this can be accomplished without you having to be admitted. But if not, it's not worth the extra energy you're using to resist. It sucks, it's not fair, it's unexpected. And if you have to go, please go! We're all there with you, especially if you have wifi!:hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2::hug2:

annekat
05-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Heather, there will always be other weekends for you to come to the market. Of course, I'll be thrilled if I see you there, but please don't push yourself! It sounds like things are up in the air right now and you need to sit tight and see what needs to be done. Not a good time to make other commitments. Just take care of you, the best you can.

pberggren1
05-23-2014, 12:46 PM
So Heather, this IV treatment is just the minerals?

Squiggled
05-24-2014, 12:51 AM
Yes, they kept me admitted because my heart was involved. Low magnesium causes heart problems.

Alysia
05-24-2014, 02:40 AM
how are you today Heather ? are you still at the hospital ?

Jaypfei
05-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Heather I will send prayers your way. What you have mentioned is going on is not to be taken lightly. Anne is correct, your health comes first and I hope everything goes smoothly at the hospital.

Squiggled
05-24-2014, 11:42 AM
After a long but really good dr appointment with my RA we have a plan. She is going to have my magnesium checked every week to hopefully avoid these emergency situations. I talked to her about being on 40mg of prednisone for so long, she said I can taper to 30mg but no lower because my hands and knees still show so much inflammation. She is also raising my methotrexate from 15mg to 20. And we are going to go sub-cutaneous not oral. She said orally you only absorb 80% and shots are 100%. She said she is raising it to try and get my nose and sinus problems under control.
Thank you everyone for being a voice of reason and support. Looks like I dodged going to the hospital this time, but I promise no tree chaining next time lol

Squiggled
05-24-2014, 11:47 AM
Oh, Anne!! I am bringing the gang with me tomorrow :) people heard I was going to be out of the house and thought I might need a witness lol so it should be daughter, son, sister and ex mother in law (but more like mom). So I will see you tomorrow early afternoon, so excited!

windchime
05-24-2014, 12:07 PM
Heather so glad you worked out a safe solution for you.:thumbsup: Hopefully you doc can figure out what is causing it and that may help. In the meantime enjoy your time out of the house and with your family and of course meeting Anne. :hug3:

annekat
05-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Oh, Anne!! I am bringing the gang with me tomorrow :) people heard I was going to be out of the house and thought I might need a witness lol so it should be daughter, son, sister and ex mother in law (but more like mom). So I will see you tomorrow early afternoon, so excited! I guess I'm ready! I did not get my stuff done today in order to have the new stock I wanted for tomorrow, but that of course is not why you are coming! Maybe someone can take a picture and we can post it here on the forum under the thread "Close Encounters of the Weggie Kind". Looking forward to it!

annekat
05-24-2014, 01:33 PM
Nice pic of you, Cindy. I hope you are feeling better!

windchime
05-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Would love to see a picture of you guys!!

Feeling much better today, thanks.

Glad you like the new pic, it's from 2007.

Alysia
05-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Anne and Heather, have a great meeting and send us some pics :biggrin1:
Heather, do not reduce pred from 40 to 30 at once, but only gradually, even 1 mg down, every couple of days. it will be less painful and more safe. good luck !