PDA

View Full Version : Tooth and gums pain

Squiggled
05-23-2014, 01:54 AM
For the last month, mostly since my diagnosis and starting treatment my gums are killing me! I have saddle nose and a constant bloody reminder that my sinuses are being destroyed as we speak. But that's not the painful part! I can't even get thru a meal without holding my toothbrush and massaging my gums to relieve some of the pain. Before I started carrying toothbrush with me I would scratch my gums until they bleed. Then I have to meticulously floss after the meal, and brush again. Can the same thing that is destroying our sinuses effect our gums? I don't have dental insurance so I don't know what to do. It just hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete
05-23-2014, 01:57 AM
A call to your doc or dentist is in order. You have a medical condition that may cover your gum problem. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Beverly
05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi Squig
I am new to responding, not to tell you what you should do, but to share with you the gum/teeth/facial pain that I have had. Before being Dx with WG, I went to a neurologist (saw dentist day before who said my facial pain was not caused by my teeth) who ordered an MRI/MRS. It was decided that I had trigeminal neuralgia. Treated me with Gabapentin for nerve pain. Had some lesions or scarring on brain, but no cause for alarm. My Rheumy has said that everything is now under WG umbrella (my word). Along with the gum/teeth/facial pain, I have bee stings on the lip, feels swollen when it is not, creepy crawlies up my cheek. Cannot be in cold air, out in the wind,etc.
Whether this is a new and diff condition or just another thing that the nasty WG demon has snuck :sneaky:up on you with, you will be able to handle this. You have come thru so much and this challenge will bother you, but you will be able later to encourage and comfort someone else. I am praying for you and docs as you work thru your treatment for this.

LisaT
05-23-2014, 10:51 AM
For the last month, mostly since my diagnosis and starting treatment my gums are killing me! I have saddle nose and a constant bloody reminder that my sinuses are being destroyed as we speak. But that's not the painful part! I can't even get thru a meal without holding my toothbrush and massaging my gums to relieve some of the pain. Before I started carrying toothbrush with me I would scratch my gums until they bleed. Then I have to meticulously floss after the meal, and brush again. Can the same thing that is destroying our sinuses effect our gums? I don't have dental insurance so I don't know what to do. It just hurts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not experienced tooth pain or gum pain from WG, but I really hope you're able to figure it out and get some treatment that will help. I do have a lot of jaw pain lately that feels more inflammatory than the usual TMJ/tooth grinding pain, but I don't think that is the same. That neuralgia seems to make sense. If it is nerve pain it's coming from a lot deeper than your gums.. Does the extra brushing and flossing help with the pain? It may be that it's just distracting you. Maybe you could try ice or something equally distracting that doesn't irritate your gums. Just a thought from my muddled brain... I do hope you get some relief!

drz
05-23-2014, 04:33 PM
There are many things that can cause sore and bleeding gums. Wegs might contribute to the problem. Sores in mouth are common with Wegs. That is why i take certain meds to try reduce them or prevent them and why I have a special mouthwash from my dentist used to treat and help heal up some spots. I have also had a lot of dental problems and care since my Wegs was diagnosed. I had dental problems before from diabetes but they have increased after my Wegs diagnosis.

Only a dentist or other medical professional can help diagnose the problem you report but they should be able to offer some helpful treatment even if they are certain as to what is exactly causing the problem for you.

Alysia
05-23-2014, 06:31 PM
I used to have bleeding gums. it was prob WG because after the rtx it stopped.

Squiggled
05-24-2014, 12:50 AM
Well I go see my primary on tues, they are great about trying to get my insurance to cover stuff. :)

windchime
05-24-2014, 01:07 AM
Drz---Does the mouthwash work well? I have a prescription for it because of canker sores that plague me. Just never filled it.

drz
05-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Drz---Does the mouthwash work well? I have a prescription for it because of canker sores that plague me. Just never filled it.

i got mine from my dentist and it seemed to help the sores heal up in a few days. PerioRX was name and cost was $20.

windchime
05-24-2014, 01:12 AM
My rheumy gave me the script and it's for Magic Mouthwash w/ nystatin suspension, hydrocortisone, and benadryl elixir. It was for the sores I was getting from the chemo. Done with chemo, sores persist.

Miska
05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Interesting because my teeth have been very sensitive to cold this week. Very painful. I take 20mg of pred and 25mg of MTX a week. I have had sores in my mouth since the 3rd week of MTX. I get the sores silver nitrated when they hurt. Nothing is helping the teeth. :( not fun.

Squiggled
05-30-2014, 03:23 PM
I was trying to figure out why this is happening to me... Someone posted that since they started prednione it has eroded their teeth and made them feel loose. I am not that severe but I feel like with the pain and receeding gums I am on my way :( I do not have any mouth sores, so I dont know if that is related

windchime
05-30-2014, 09:40 PM
A visit to the dentist is a good idea. My mouth is very sensitive to spicy foods. They make my tongue burn. I asked the dentist about it and he said it was med related. This was before pred and CTX so they're not the only ones that can cause us problems. I have receding gum lines also, but I keep in mind that some of that is part of aging.

Miska, whoever your treating doc is for the wegs and MTX should be able to give you a script for a mouthwash.

Barry Forshaw
05-31-2014, 06:30 AM
Alicia had a flare of Wegener's in her teeth and gums. It was written up as a case study here: Elsevier (http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/ymoe/article/S1079-2104(09)00114-0/abstract)

She was treated with rituximab and has any subsequent dental work done at the dental hospital rather than her local dental surgery.

jvilner
05-31-2014, 09:14 PM
I find that using a toothpaste for sensitive teeth useful when I am sensitive to cold. Takes a few uses though before I see a difference.