PDA

View Full Version : Wisdom Teeth

rebekah
05-22-2014, 03:28 AM
Hi everyone!

I had my consultation today to get my wisdom teeth pulled. :unsure:

After going over my medical history, I had to sign a release form for my pcp to fax over my medical records and give them the okay to go ahead with the surgery. I wasn't able to schedule my appointment until my doctor approves. I think they're more worried about my tachycardia than anything else. I asked the dentist about what I should do about being on immunosuppressants and he wasn't entirely sure; he said I should be able to continue my meds as usual. Has anyone had wisdom teeth pulled while on these meds? Were you able to take your meds the day of the surgery? I'm just trying to figure out what I should expect. If someone already posted about this somewhere, my apologies for making a new one.

I hate the dentist and am not looking forward to having teeth pulled... at least I'll have a reason for eating ice cream all day for a few days after.

Dirty Don
05-22-2014, 04:14 AM
I just went thru a few months of oral surgeries, survived, not wisdom teeth tho. Doc pretreated me with antibiotics, made sure I took them after also. Was very careful, healed well & quickly. You should be fine other than the fact that they are your wisdom teeth, never fun!

Pete
05-22-2014, 05:55 AM
I had one wisdom tooth pulled about two months ago. I reviewed my meds with the oral surgeon immediately before the procedure, and he saw no show stoppers. My usual meds then were 20 mg/wk mtx, 15 mg/day pred, and bactrim DS on MWF. Procedure went well and recovery/healing took about ten days. No problems encountered.

annekat
05-22-2014, 06:02 AM
I did fine with 4 extractions at once, two were wisdoms which had pretty much rotted way but the roots were still there, the other two were the neighboring molars which has also succumbed to the rot from being next to the wisdoms, though I hadn't a clue by looking at them. Anyway, both my dentist and oral surgeon teach at the UW dental school and are familiar with Wegener's and the drugs we are on. If I remember right, they had me go ahead and take my meds and also prescribed an antibiotic in addition to the Bactrim I was already on. It all went well, the surgery was easy and fast, and I recovered very quickly, only needing one of the pain killer, Tylenol with codeine. I hope it goes as smoothly for you.

drz
05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
i stopped my AZA the day before and after I had a tooth pulled. Same as with other minor surgeries. I had taken an antibiotic before because the tooth was inflamed.