PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know: (Say) Top 6 Vits/Supps To AVOID Because They're Immune-Supporting?

TOBEY32
05-21-2014, 01:51 AM
Of course it might also have to do with how MUCH of something you take.
Any supplement "guru's" out there that feel they know, or are willing to speculate?

David

Dirty Don
05-21-2014, 04:07 AM
Many docs just blow supplements off as they don't stay in the body long enough at large enough amounts to do much good. Best to you.

LisaT
05-21-2014, 07:43 AM
I have no particular specialized knowledge but I avoid things like echinacea etc. that boost immunity just in case it boosts it too much.

Alysia
05-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Michelle (where are you Mich ?) told me that vitamin E in creams is not allowed to us.

mishb
05-23-2014, 11:31 PM
There are a few others as well, like some of the B vitamins and also Magnesium, I think.
I'm actually on a bit of a holiday on the Gold Coast at the moment, so I haven't got a good internet connection to check these out correctly, but will in a few days when I get home........and then I will have lots of posts to catch up on :razz:

LisaT
05-24-2014, 12:38 AM
Shall we start a list of the supplements that we have learned we should be taking? Here is a list of those I take, always check with your own pharmacist or dr. First as I'm sure you all know:

vitamin D (up to 4,000 IU per day)
iron (I'm anemic)
calcium magnesium
sometimes extra magnesium--I've found 'Calm' powder which you mix into a drink can help a headache. It's expensive though; I'd like to find a place I can buy it in bulk for a better price.
glutathione (antioxidant)
vitamin C
zinc
selenium
fish oil
probiotic

and when I catch a bug:
oil of oregano
thieves' oil topically -- Marseille's Remedy (http://marseillesremedy.com) (I just noticed that one thing it is supposed to do, however, is boost immunity, so def. don't use it without checking with your own medical team...)

i don't take all of these every day, although most of them I think I should. I forget, or sometimes just can't physically get down so many pills. So, I pick and choose the ones I feel I need at any given time, or those I happen to remember. Many of them I learned about from the Immune System Cure (The Immune System Recovery Plan, http://www.amazon.ca/The-Immune-System-Recovery-Plan/dp/1451694970/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=00HE1QFCER4HHXME7RX2, which includes a list of supplements for autoimmune conditions. It can't hurt to say it one more time; check with your own doc.. Or pharmacist... before taking any new ones. I'd love to see what others take or find helpful as well.

bobg56
08-19-2014, 02:06 PM
So is it OK to have probiotic yogurt with Wegeners? I am currently taking Prednisone & Bactrim. Plus Cytoxan IV once a month. Or is the live bacteria harmful to the weakened immune system?

Thanks,

Bob

annekat
08-19-2014, 03:39 PM
I have not heard anything convincing to the effect that yogurt or probiotics are bad for people with WG. I think there are good reasons to take probiotics and eat yogurt, to aid in digestion, keep the gut healthier, etc. Others know more than I about this.

Alias
08-19-2014, 08:13 PM
My rheumatologist specifically recommended taking a daily probiotic.

godgirl
08-20-2014, 12:29 AM
I take a probiotic as well. Also take a multivitamin. That in retrospect maybe I shouldn't be taking...

Also, vitamin D, riboflavin (for migraines), potassium and fish oil.

annekat
08-20-2014, 02:11 AM
I take a multivitamin, Vitamin C, D3, Calcium + magnesium, and Lysine.

Ruotsi1
08-20-2014, 09:19 AM
I take a multivitamin, 1600 mg calcium, 2800 mg vitamin d3, b-complex (as needed for energy), and turmeric capsules (anti-inflammatory)...plus all my meds