PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies!

Squiggled
05-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Benn 10 years since I have done a single thing close to a hobby. I always spent every spare moment sleeping, crying, thinking, .. All that stuff. I've only been on mtx for 3 weeks and I'm already thinking about picking up a hobby. Can't go back to skydiving... Not in the mood to make bead jewelry again. Then I got an idea. I am going to start blogging. Not for popularity, or even a message to all I guess. Just to get all my ideas out. We all go through so much, change, growth, and morph our minds and bodies. So I started a list of things that I think about, have an opinion about etc. filled 2 pages in less than 10 mins, I have something to say! I think this will be a great outlet for me, it will also be a great legacy to leave for my kids, something for them to read when I am gone, and learn who I really was inside, without WG.
Then I realized, I am on a 2 year treatment plan, and if I write every day, all day, I am going to become a raging lunatic, analyzing this crazy brain of mine lol. Ok, this is the longest lead up to the simple questions ever. Lol
does anyone else blog? Help?
what are your hobbies? What do you do for personal enrichment? I just know there is stuff to do that I have never thought of.

windchime
05-18-2014, 11:49 AM
I have recently decided to try quilting. Haven't started it yet as I have to acquire the necessary tools, etc. But I thought that would keep me amused for awhile and I do love to sew. May morph into some sewing projects as well. I'll see where it takes me.

pberggren1
05-18-2014, 12:24 PM
My favourite hobby is Pool. Next would be reading. I used to love walking but unfortunately I have not walked for a few years now due to the lungs.

Squiggled
05-18-2014, 12:58 PM
You know, I also have a puppy, she's under a year old and only knows a few commands.... I have a private trainer coming for 2 sessions next month (can't drive) I could focus on her and have one of those amazing dogs. Just thought of that :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dirty Don
05-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Hobbies are wonderful (I golf), and keep one distracted as long as they are within one's capabilities. There is a Weggie on here who has done the Iditarod the past 2 years...now there's a hobby! LOL! As for journals, you should keep one...WG seems to tangle the mind and emotions a lot (as any uncertain disease may), so keep writing. I kept one for just under 2 years...while it wasn't fun to reread, I did learn a lot about my self under these conditions. Just do it!

Squiggled
05-18-2014, 03:10 PM
You know, I think I am the only one left that has never learned to golf. I understand the concept, but I tell my mind to make the ball go in the hole, and it doesn't listen!

mishb
05-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Many many years ago I was knitting every jumper pattern around. Knitted jumpers, booties, etc for my kids and my girlfriends babies etc, then one day I just stopped. I started quilting and have many many squares sewn, and then I stopped.
I have a million and one recipe books and liked cooking different things, and then I stopped.
I started making photo albums and got this little beaut photo printer and printed a million photo's from a few SD cards that were lying around - and yep, you guessed it, then I stopped.
I took up ten pin bowling. All of my family golf (in fact my mum lives within a golf course community) and I tried golf, but ten pin bowling was the way to go.
.......and then, yes I stopped but the RA in my hands made me stop this time :crying: I just couldn't hold the ball anymore.
I also can't knit or quilt/sew because my fingers just don't allow it.

I facebook :razz: I am the administrator for the Australia and New Zealand WG/GPA group on facebook. I comment on this forum :biggrin1: and I also like to research my family tree. I guess the genealogy part is a hobby.
All of this is computer work which I can and like to do.

I haven't given up on ten pin bowling, I still go every weekend but I do not bowl anymore, I support my husband who does bowl (my kids have now given up) and I am the Treasurer of the league that my husband bowls in, and that I used to bowl in.

I have never blogged and wouldn't think that anyone would be interested in what I was saying. My daughter is really smart and creative with that type of stuff. I don't think it's for me but I love everyone else's blogs and find them well written and very cleverly created.
Good luck with yours

LisaT
05-19-2014, 12:45 AM
I've heard that if you think back to what you loved to do in grade two, that's what you were meant to do! I have been trying to find time and energy for the things I loved doing as a kid--drawing, painting (still haven't found time for that in a long while but I have all the supplies and blank canvases ready to go!), singing along to music, I would love to get biking again but my body isn't cooperating at the moment... I love to write and hope to do that more regularly, and as a way of distracting myself from stress, pain, etc. I've been doing quite a bit of reading and tv watching... Whatever puts me in a better frame of mind! Sometimes when I'm too tired to play with the kids or need my heating pad, we sit in my bed and watch funny youtube videos of kids, pets etc. Laughter is an awesome medicine! I've also been meditating here and there (not regularly enough), and same with yoga (I see a pattern here...) I hope you find some fun pursuits...

LisaT
05-19-2014, 12:46 AM
You know, I think I am the only one left that has never learned to golf. I understand the concept, but I tell my mind to make the ball go in the hole, and it doesn't listen!

I can't even hit the ball. My six year old is better at golf than I. Some things just weren't meant to be! :lol:

Alysia
05-19-2014, 02:17 AM
Golf in Israel is mostly for rich people who live in few rich cities (not me).
Pool in Israel exist only in few places.
I love reading and writing. when I felt better, I wrote professional articles, 2 of them were even published in professional Journal in Israel (in Hebrew). There left more articles that I started but too tired to continue. and I am still in the middle on translating those which were published to English. I also write few things more sentimental.
but the real fun is my cats. I have 3 at home and 1 in the office and 1 street cat which adopted me lately.
here is one of my cats. isn't he a beauty ?
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10177372_1487549154790563_1165221130466647248_n.jp g

Pete
05-19-2014, 02:57 AM

Stupid golf balls have minds of their own. What I do on the golf course is technically golf, but it's really more like flog.

On to other hobbies - I am in the process of landscaping our yard. Have the front yard pretty much where I want it. The back yard is getting much of the attention this year. Some perennial plantings, a few annuals for color, and starting Tuesday, about 3 yards of mulch...

I want to build a model railroad this coming fall/winter. I have three locomotives, but nothing else but ideas...

Dirty Don
05-19-2014, 04:08 AM
Hobbies, interests, 2nd grade repeats...it's all good! Seriously. The real problem for peeps like us is dragging our asses to the desk, FLOG course, mountain, gym, and so on. It's easier in our states to sit, sleep, stay put. I'm feeling pretty well lately and numbers are great...I was so tired yesterday that I slept nearly 12 hours last nite...no reason, was just exhausted from not doing much. Sighs...push yourself, but know when to stop...not a bad way to live nowadays under this condition. Get UP....everybody...get UP...let's dance now!

Alysia
05-19-2014, 04:12 AM
...I was so tired yesterday that I slept nearly 12 hours last nite...no reason, was just exhausted from not doing much. Sighs...push yourself, but know when to stop...not a bad way to live nowadays under this condition. Get UP....everybody...get UP...let's dance now!

not enough coffee, Don ? :wink1:
If I only could, I would be happy to sleep 12 hours. good for the skin of the face :thumbup:
what is UP ?

vdub
05-19-2014, 07:06 AM
My biggest time-waster is knowledge. I can be watching tv, see something that piques my interest and spend the next few hours reading about it on the internet. My most recent fascination is with European history during the first 1,000 years.

And, of course, my MGA takes a good deal of maintenance, so I piddle around with it a lot.

One of my degrees is in computer science, so my computer is probably my most time-consuming (time-wasting) hobby.

Dirty Don
05-19-2014, 08:10 AM
I grew up on TR3s...talk about taking/wasting time: Lights by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, leaky oil pans, constant tuning of side carbs...you name it! Went German in the 90s, not going back! LOL!

pwc51
05-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Hobbies - I used to climb (walk) mountains. I really struggle now - after a couple of hours my back starts hurting. Whilst my lungs have recovered I lack the energy to do much (training does not seem to help). I used to ride my mountain bike - that too is pretty challenging for the same reason as mountain walking. I user to walk - still do, just not as much as before - 6 miles seems to be my limit these days (it used to be 10's of miles - having led expeditions to Greenland!). I used to sail - still do. Just had a wonderful day on the water with my brother. I sometimes rely on his strength to do things where I run out of energy -and certainly when it comes to maintenance!
n

vdub
05-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Lights by Lucas....
Pretty much all of the lucas stuff is gone. I put in an electronic ignition. I still have the twin SU's, but I find them to be reliable and easy to work on. Aside from some tight spaces, the car is fun to work on because of it's simplicity. I want to get an MG TD for my wife.

I used to climb (walk) mountains. I really struggle now
Same here... jogged most of my adult life. I would run 4 to 8 miles a day and could hike 15 miles with a 60 lb pack. Walking 2 miles is pretty much my limit now -- actually, 2 miles would exceed my limit. I could do it, but I would be down and out the next day.

pberggren1
05-19-2014, 10:03 AM
I didn't know you were into history vdub. I love European history as well.

Pete
05-19-2014, 10:47 AM
I grew up on TR3s...talk about taking/wasting time: Lights by Lucas, the Prince of Darkness, leaky oil pans, constant tuning of side carbs...you name it! Went German in the 90s, not going back! LOL!

Porsche -- accept no substitutes!!

pberggren1
05-19-2014, 10:52 AM
A guy I play pool with bought a 991 Turbo last year. One could buy a really nice house for what he paid for that car.

Pete
05-19-2014, 12:30 PM
A guy I play pool with bought a 991 Turbo last year. One could buy a really nice house for what he paid for that car.

Or 3 Boxsters...

pberggren1
05-19-2014, 02:37 PM
3 of my doctors have Caymans. I have driven both the new Cayman and the 991 and I prefer the Cayman. It feels more nimble and quicker. Porsche even admits that it will not give the Cayman too much power so it does not come close to the 911 models in performance.

Pete
05-19-2014, 03:08 PM
3 of my doctors have Caymans. I have driven both the new Cayman and the 991 and I prefer the Cayman. It feels more nimble and quicker. Porsche even admits that it will not give the Cayman too much power so it does not come close to the 911 models in performance.

The Cayman is a Boxster coupe. Generally same drive train and chassis. Both Boxster and Cayman will handle better than a 911 because the engine is inside the wheelbase. My Boxster drives like it's on rails. Hard to make the tires break traction.

annekat
05-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Phil, your docs let you drive their fancy cars? Wow.

annekat
05-19-2014, 04:09 PM
I'd like to have time for hobbies. I make pottery but can't call it a hobby because I depend on it for income. So, it is a job. If I had time for hobbies, I'd like to do things in the fiber arts, like sewing, quilting, weaving, dyeing. I could call gardening a hobby, but I don't have time to do it properly. But seeing as how some nice things do grow and flower every year, in spite of the weeds and lack of care, it is worthwhile and fulfilling without me putting a lot into it. I think gardening is a great hobby for Weggies; it can be on as large or small a scale as you can manage. As far as sports go, it would be walking, maybe boating, nothing too competitive or demanding, not golf. Although I guess walking around the golf course on a nice day could be pretty good.

pberggren1
05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
Phil, your docs let you drive their fancy cars? Wow.

A few of them have.

Alysia
05-19-2014, 04:32 PM
A few of them have.
na, still far from the batmobile.... :wink1:
not to mention the jets....

Alysia
05-19-2014, 05:10 PM
Get UP....everybody...get UP...
ok, Don, I understand that UP.
but....
https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/l/t1.0-9/10259965_624198554326176_9000589119864799291_n.jpg

Dirty Don
05-19-2014, 11:57 PM
I understand your 'but', BUT the colloquial phraseology of the current etymological standards of the youthful/musical congregation of world wide standards and their music requires that 'somebody get up'!! That would be US...somebody needs to get their asses in gear in order to beat this disease...yesssss, MORE coffee....now everybody get UP!!!

LisaT
05-20-2014, 12:22 AM
I forgot to mention my biggest time-waster of all--pinterest! When I need to rest but can't sleep, or am up in the middle of the night using my nebulizer, or bored watching a kids' movie with my kids, I 'shop' on pinterest, pinning home decor, art, clothing, recipes that I'd like to use but almost never do... It satisfies my need for beauty, colour, etc. when I'm too lacking in energy to create. It also quiets the shopping gene because pinning that beautiful gown I'd never have any use for makes me feel as though I have it... :thumbsup: I haven't been on pinterest since I found this forum... Hmmmm. This appears to be my new hobby.

annekat
05-20-2014, 02:52 AM
I joined Pinterest but just don't have the time to mess with it. I'm glad someone is enjoying it, or was, until they found this forum! This forum does take a lot of my "spare" time but it is well worthwhile. I need to cut back a bit, though, make my answers a little shorter, not feel like I have to reply to every post. There is only so much time in the universe and we can't create more.

Don, I just had my coffee and am UP. It is a nice day for a walk.

Alysia
05-20-2014, 03:52 AM
I understand your 'but', BUT the colloquial phraseology of the current etymological standards of the youthful/musical congregation of world wide standards and their music requires that 'somebody get up'!! That would be US...somebody needs to get their asses in gear in order to beat this disease...yesssss, MORE coffee....now everybody get UP!!!

mmmmm challenging my poor dictionary, ha ? you secretly English teacher :wink1: :love:

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10309490_1490248037854008_6326295498206778881_n.jp g

Alysia
05-20-2014, 03:55 AM
This forum does take a lot of my "spare" time but it is well worthwhile. I need to cut back a bit, though, make my answers a little shorter, not feel like I have to reply to every post. There is only so much time in the universe and we can't create more.

don't cut anything Anne. we need you just as you are :love:

and of course, talking about hobbies.... being here.
but maybe being in the forum is not a hobbie. it is life line..... says the addicted one.... :blushing:

annekat
05-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Alysia, I agree with you entirely that the forum is a lifeline and not a hobby. Some of our discussions on Facebook may be more in the hobby realm, though even those can be lifelines at time. I don't know what I would do without the community we have formed here and will probably not "cut" very much anytime soon.

Alysia
05-20-2014, 04:19 AM
will probably not "cut" very much anytime soon.

whew.... thanks :thumbup:

Squiggled
05-20-2014, 04:28 AM
Walk a few steps for me too :) I miss feeling the breeze while walking :)

BookNut
05-21-2014, 02:32 PM
I used to blog about library related issues when I was working. I loved it! I use edublogs, which is free if you don't mind there being ads here and there. I found it a great way to write down my thoughts and save them....and be helpful to some folks in the process. Since I retired, I have lost my motivation to write. Hopefully I will get back to it someday.

My hobby right now is healthy cooking and reading about nutrition. I will post here soon about that. Maybe I should strt blogging about that.

Obviously reading is my life-long hobby. Always a new world to visit! Also, my husband is a nature photographer, so I often go with him on his photography expeditions. Usually just day trips.

windchime
05-27-2014, 11:03 AM
Received my quilting books last week. Now to start acquiring the necessary things to start. Think a pillow is a good start. Small and cheap.....lol

annekat
05-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Received my quilting books last week. Now to start acquiring the necessary things to start. Think a pillow is a good start. Small and cheap.....lol I would love to be quilting! I did some when I was a lot younger, when my mom was doing some, too.... she was a fabric junkie and was always buying and collecting remnants at reduced prices at the fabric stores. There is a new vendor at our farmers market who sells quilted items and has a very nice display... I'll try to get some pics for you, if she doesn't mind, ..... just for ideas.... maybe just a couple quick shots of her booth, which I could also offer to share with her. Anyway, yes, pillows would be a good starting point.

LisaT
05-27-2014, 12:41 PM
I used to blog about library related issues when I was working. I loved it! I use edublogs, which is free if you don't mind there being ads here and there. I found it a great way to write down my thoughts and save them....and be helpful to some folks in the process. Since I retired, I have lost my motivation to write. Hopefully I will get back to it someday.

My hobby right now is healthy cooking and reading about nutrition. I will post here soon about that. Maybe I should strt blogging about that.

Obviously reading is my life-long hobby. Always a new world to visit! Also, my husband is a nature photographer, so I often go with him on his photography expeditions. Usually just day trips.

What fun! Let us know how it goes. I love quilts and have a family friend who makes beautiful ones. I've always thought it would be fun to try. Hope it's a good distraction and stress reliever for you!

windchime
05-27-2014, 02:23 PM
My ex daughter-in-law went through a quilt making stage and made me a beautiful picture quilt using pictures I gave her of the boys growing up. She also made the grandkids some nice quilts.

So gifting is one idea also maybe some selling since some additional income will be welcome. Depends on how much I can get done. I used to sew a lot when I was younger. I loved doing it, but life got in the way. :rolleyes1:

If anyone is interested the one book is called, "Your first quilt book" by Carol Doak. I got it on Amazon for about $20. It seems to be a pretty straightforward and understandable book.

Thanks for offering to get pictures Anne. Anything that helps is great. :biggrin1:

Lisa it will be a good distraction, as far a stress goes that will depend on how many seams I have to rip out. Always hated that part. :w00t:

RonB
05-28-2014, 04:03 PM
I took up photography again after many years
All the best
Ron

andrew
05-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Benn 10 years since I have done a single thing close to a hobby. I always spent every spare moment sleeping, crying, thinking, .. All that stuff. I've only been on mtx for 3 weeks and I'm already thinking about picking up a hobby. Can't go back to skydiving... Not in the mood to make bead jewelry again. Then I got an idea. I am going to start blogging. Not for popularity, or even a message to all I guess. Just to get all my ideas out. We all go through so much, change, growth, and morph our minds and bodies. So I started a list of things that I think about, have an opinion about etc. filled 2 pages in less than 10 mins, I have something to say! I think this will be a great outlet for me, it will also be a great legacy to leave for my kids, something for them to read when I am gone, and learn who I really was inside, without WG.
Then I realized, I am on a 2 year treatment plan, and if I write every day, all day, I am going to become a raging lunatic, analyzing this crazy brain of mine lol. Ok, this is the longest lead up to the simple questions ever. Lol
does anyone else blog? Help?
what are your hobbies? What do you do for personal enrichment? I just know there is stuff to do that I have never thought of.

Great idea that blogging!! Well done :) Might give it a try myself as I'm never short of a word either haha

I have two current hobbies. I'm learning bass guitar and I collect WWI and WWII medals and memorabilia such as photos, soldier's passports, letters of promotion, death notices etc etc.

Oh yeah one other hobby - going to L-O-U-D concerts every weekend and ensuring I'm all the way at the front :)

pberggren1
05-28-2014, 09:09 PM
You might soon need cochlear implants like I have Andrew.

andrew
05-28-2014, 09:37 PM
You might soon need cochlear implants like I have Andrew.

Haha nope I use earplugs. Really good ones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaT
05-29-2014, 12:20 AM
What type of music?

pberggren1
05-29-2014, 08:06 AM
What type of music?

Don't ask.....lol

KimH
05-29-2014, 08:49 AM
I recently had a reiki treatment and was told I need to express my creative side . I asked if painting the kitchen counted, NOT. So I bought acrylic paint and a few terracotta pots and will paint pictures of the herbs in the pot. I have not painted anything except a wall since elementary school. LOL. Now that I have to rest my back it is a good time to let the creative juices flow. I love to sew but I don't feel like setting up the machine. I read a lot especially books on wellness and cookbooks. I could buy some clay and channel Anne. :0))))))).

KimH
05-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Great idea that blogging!! Well done :) Might give it a try myself as I'm never short of a word either haha

I have two current hobbies. I'm learning bass guitar and I collect WWI and WWII medals and memorabilia such as photos, soldier's passports, letters of promotion, death notices etc etc.

Oh yeah one other hobby - going to L-O-U-D concerts every weekend and ensuring I'm all the way at the front :)

Andrew, I went on a motorcycle rally with a friend who is profoundly deaf. After the ride there was a rock concert. My friend walked up to the speakers and put his ear up against it. He made quite an impression on the other bikers. They didn't know he was deaf. He was one cool crazy dude. Really he was a mild mannered college professor.
Also if you do get to Connecticut my husband has a music room filled with instruments and speakers. He is always up for jamming. Just saying.

mishb
05-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Don't ask.....lol

Lol, I was going to say the same thing :thumbsup:
Sorry Chief

LisaT
05-29-2014, 02:34 PM
Now I'm definitely curious.

Jaypfei
05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Maybe we should start a new thread on favorite music?

Dirty Don
05-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Everybody UP...get UP...let's dance...you too Alysia!! LOL! Rock N Roll! And some others...hehe...

Squiggled
05-30-2014, 03:20 PM
A music and even a tv/movie thread would be fun :) might spark us to try something new :)

annekat
05-30-2014, 04:45 PM
My musical likes are all over the map, it would hard to decide what to mention first. But this is an idea that has crossed my mind before, too. Focusing on danceable stuff would be a good start.

Alysia
05-31-2014, 04:52 AM
Everybody UP...get UP...let's dance...you too Alysia!! .

of course, Shall we dance ? :wink1: Shall We Dance? Movie Clip - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bibtqDxXv1o)

andrew
06-01-2014, 07:13 PM
Lol, I was going to say the same thing :thumbsup:
Sorry Chief

That's ok lol. My music taste isn't for everyone :)

Andrew, I went on a motorcycle rally with a friend who is profoundly deaf. After the ride there was a rock concert. My friend walked up to the speakers and put his ear up against it. He made quite an impression on the other bikers. They didn't know he was deaf. He was one cool crazy dude. Really he was a mild mannered college professor.
Also if you do get to Connecticut my husband has a music room filled with instruments and speakers. He is always up for jamming. Just saying.

I would LOVE a jam session!!! Awesome :)

Now I'm definitely curious.

I'm a metalhead Lisa. The more loud and extreme the better :)

Maybe we should start a new thread on favorite music?

Definitely *evil grin* :)