PDA

View Full Version : H1n1

pberggren1
09-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I have been becoming a little more concerned with all the stuff in the news recently with the Swine Flu.

Here in Canada the government is saying there it has enough vaccinations for everyone.

My question is: should we as Weggies be taking this vaccine? My gut feeling says no.

Phil

crackers
09-18-2009, 06:42 PM
phil here in the uk anyone on immunosuppressants,amongst other health issues,is on a priority list to get the vaccine.my wife works at the local hospital and has asked doctors there about this and they all said to take the vaccine.if you have concerns then ask your gp for their advice.
john.

Sangye
09-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I think it's important to treat vaccines like any other drug or procedure and get all the info before deciding to use them or not. Most docs just tell you "Get the shot." Can you imagine them doing that with our other drugs? Before deciding to use them, you should know what's in them, how they're tested, etc.... Before deciding not to use them, you should know what your risks are, and how you can protect yourself from infection. Just like with other drugs, learn both sides-- what are the risks and benefits if I do the shot or don't do the shot?

There are 2 important questions to ask if you choose to get the shot.
1) Does it contain "oil-based adjuvants?" (adjuvants = other ingredients)

2) Does it contain thimerosal (mercury)?

Short explanations of these questions and other concerns can be found here (http://www.nvic.org/Vaccines-and-Diseases/H1N1-SWINE-FLU.aspx#containunlicensedadj). Some of it applies only to the US, but not all.

pberggren1
09-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks John and Sangye

andrew
09-19-2009, 10:47 PM
If given the choice I would be taking the vaccine. I got pig flu in July and take it from me, it's something you don't want.

Jack
09-20-2009, 05:52 AM
I have the regular flu jab every year and have never had any reaction that I could detect. I will certainly be getting the swine flue jab when it comes.

Doug
09-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Me, too. No problems with the vaccine, and the nurse who gives them is cute!

coffeelover
09-21-2009, 02:57 AM
I get the flu shot every year and plan on getting the swine flu shot as soon as I am able.

Doug........are you chasing the nurses now?
coffeelover

Doug
09-21-2009, 10:10 AM
No, I think they plan on having the older one (i.e. my age!) give me my shot this year, to save stress on the help. Ha!:p

Sangye
10-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Here are a couple of interesting articles about the H1N1 vaccine.

This is a preliminary study from Canada, which was quoted in the Mercola article :

CBC News - Health - Seasonal flu shot may increase H1N1 risk (http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/09/23/flu-shots-h1n1-seasonal.html)

This article is from Dr Mercola. I don't like everything he says on his site, but I do agree with everything he says in this article. The videos on it are excellent as well.
ALERT: Special Swine Flu Update (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/10/21/Special-Swine-Flu-Update.aspx)

One of the issues they raise in the Mercola article and videos is the question : "How many of those who got H1N1 (with or without complications) had received seasonal and/or H1N1 flu vaccination?" The assumption is that if you get the flu you hadn't received the vaccine.

As an example : Several years ago there was an outbreak of whooping cough (pertussis) in a northern Arizona school district close to where I lived. Even though the district itself reported a record of 97% pertussis vaccination among their student population, the news kept saying the outbreak was the fault of unvaccinated students. So-called "herd immunity" is hypothesized to occur with only 90% of a population vaccinated, so they should have been well-protected. The news only quietly reported that the outbreak was occurring exclusively among vaccinated students.

onatreetop
10-26-2009, 11:08 PM
I can't decide if Iwant it or not? The school district here wants to give it to all the kids at school. Some parents I have talked to are againest not many want it.

My big question is if my kids get the live vac. (mist) is it safe for me to be close? Living in the east we all worry about it. And with the seasons changing everyone seems to be coughing more and congested. I bought the biggest bottle of germ gel and put it in my car. Everytime back in I use it. And try to get the kids to do the same.

I had my first flu shot this year. I felt like poop for three days after. It pulled the rug out from under my feet and I landed on my butt in bed or on the couch. Not a great thing because I am not allowed to get sick. I am the MOM, the motor that makes everything work smoothly. If I am down then the world around me falls apart.

Sangye
10-27-2009, 01:10 AM
It's a very difficult decision. MUCH harder for you parents or people who are forced to be in contact with more people than me.

The notion about the live flu vaccine and contagion is being completely ignored by the CDC, docs, media, etc.... It's the elephant in the room! There's no logic to their argument. They say the live vaccine can't possibly cause flu. Yet because it's live, it's not safe for immune-compromised to receive? Doesn't add up.

And now they're sticking live vaccine up the noses of millions of kids packed together in classrooms and sending them home to their immune-compromised, pregnant or elderly relatives. Since flu spreads through nasal droplets, from a scientific point of view this is a perfect recipe for a flu pandemic. If I were a flu virus, I'd be sending thank you gifts to the vaccine manufacturer-- they make it easier to do my job! :)

Two of the most shocking things in that Mercola article were the real number of people who die from flu each year and how H1N1 just swept through the entire southern hemisphere without decimating populations or mutating to a more virulent strain. Like he said, this isn't Ebola virus, where the choice about vaccination is clear.

I don't envy your decision, Onatreetop. You're right-- the mom is the engine of the family. I don't know how Weggie Moms do it. I struggle enough being mom to my dogs and bird.

Doug
10-27-2009, 05:28 AM
The vaccine hasn't even reached my part of the world as of yet, making this an interesting test of the "no shot" position. I do wish I had the opportunity to have the shot if I wished rather than be one of hundreds of thousands of Nebraskans getting to ride it out until the vaccine is available.:)

Sangye
10-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I agree that if people want to have it, it should be available to them.

onatreetop
10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Called the RA and they said if I decide to vac the kids it has to be the shot. if they sniff I will get it and dont recomend it at all. Also one of the school nurses told a good friend that she doesnt rec the mist either. She also told her she isnt suppost to say either way but.........Oh yeah one of the families I have worked for for over ten years , Dr. and laywer, said that anyone with the flu is considered swine now. There kids had it over the weekend and are better now. They have always got the flu shots and had the normal shot but like everyone else is waiting for the other to be available.

My daughter came home telling me that over 70 kids were out sick today
and a lot more sent home sick. Seems the flu may have bet the vac..?

The school district whats the permission slips by Wednesday. I don't think I want to do it. One of the questions is have you ever had a reaction from another vac.? Yes all my kids have and I had a mild reaction from the reg. flu shot weeks ago.

I think that 1/3 of the students in school have to be out before the school closes for cleaning.

Thank you so much for all the info. It is nice to find this stuff out from a person that has time to talk about it.

Sangye
10-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Since the H1N1 killed vaccine is arriving so late and takes another 10-12 days to confer immunity once administered, it does seem like the main "epidemic" will already be in decline by the time most people get the shot. Unless there's a second large wave later in winter, it'll probably get recorded as a vaccine campaign success!

I don't like that they officially stopped testing and counting H1N1 cases back in August. To assume every flu right now is H1N1 is unscientific. Scientists don't assume, they look at facts.

I am glad they're cleaning and disinfecting the schools, though. Swine flu or not, classrooms get pretty gross. :D

jola57
10-27-2009, 04:32 PM
My hubbby being a doc got the vaccine today, all's well except his arm hurts. I am getting the shot this week, but I have been feverish for 2 weeks with 37.3 to 38.8 deg C so we'll see how it goes.

Doug
10-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Should you get a vaccination when you have a fever? I always thought not. Especially as a weggie. :confused:

Sangye
10-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Definitely should not.

jola57
10-28-2009, 04:19 PM
Too late, got it 5 hours ago. My "fever" is strange high one day low another. Its been like that for couple of weeks. I had a checkup last week for tightness in my chest but it all sounds clear. I remember that when I started on cyclo I also had headaches and a bit of a temp, just not this high. so maybe its mtx. So far I feel fine and my temp is 37, so it looks good. My wellbeing is the same as always, so is my energy. I will keep you updated for the next two weeks.

onatreetop
10-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Three of kids were home yesturday and 150 out of the middle school. Thats more than half of the seventh grade. Talked with school nurse and she said that a lot of the kids are walking around feeling fine but have fevers. The only thing she could suggest was to check for temps before sending them in.I have three with the upper resp. symtoms. Oh joy! Just what I need. The first vac clinic here is Friday. They are still planning on bringing it in to the school for the kids. Do they need it if they have been sick? had the first reported dealth in north jersey of a healthy 17 year old. Now my high schooler wants the vac. I think he just wants to feel sick to miss school really.

Sangye
10-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Do they need it if they have been sick?

Well, that's another one of the questions no one is addressing. On one hand they say "All flu right now is swine flu." And yet if you get the flu (and therefore have natural immunity) they say "Well, you should still get the vaccine." :cool:

jola57
10-29-2009, 05:43 PM
No easy answers here. In Mission (little dinky Mission) we have had 2 deaths, 27yr old mom and 40 yr old man. Where I work everyone has had a cold or flu, even my hubby and my mom but I seems to be fine except for the fevers. It's been over 36hr since the vaccine and except for a red 2.5 inch round blotch where the jab was I am OK.
With all the H1N1 flu going around and mostly looking like a regular flu, everyone has already been exposed at one time or another, but by getting the vaccine you are making sure that you are protected for sure. Actually I realy don't understand why not to take the vaccine, weggies especially should be OK with vaccines. After all the cr@p we have taken, take and will continue to take, what is one more med.

Sangye
10-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Jolanta, I understand your thinking. The reason why a Weggie would not want the shot is two-fold :

The shot isn't anywhere near 100% effective, even by the manufacturer's own admission. At absolute best, they say it's 70-90% effective in healthy people of a certain age, when there's a good match between the vaccine strain and the strain they're exposed to. So if you're not in the right age range, if you're immune-compromised, if you're exposed to a different strain, etc... what's the effectiveness? It could be extremely low or even zero. No one knows.

There is a lot of evidence that the enormous increase in the use of vaccines is causing the spike in autoimmune diseases. The ingredients in vaccines are not benign and are not naturally detoxed from the body. To add that load to someone who already has an autoimmune disease is controversial.

Does the likelihood of protection outweigh the likelihood of damage? That's the question each of us must answer for ourselves. There's no absolute answer.

pberggren1
10-31-2009, 09:13 AM
No one in their right mind should ever get any kind of flu shot vaccine.

Look up Dr. Blaylock on the net.

Phil

Sangye
10-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Phil, I think it's best to respect other people's views about it. There are good arguments on both sides of the issue. Vaccines are a drug. It's best to discuss them as drugs, without the emotions behind them.

onatreetop
10-31-2009, 03:05 PM
My mother cant wait and I well, it really hasnt started to bother me even with my kids home sick this week and hundreds more in the area we live in. The first vac clinic opened today and there were over 2000 people lined up. I have no idea how many got the vac. but they started lining up late last night. You would think it was black friday or something. ( only did that night once and wont ever again). So........we be in it !! swimming even!

Jola57, how are you feeling now?

Doug
11-01-2009, 12:34 AM
You might get in earlier by mentioning you are immuno-suppressed because of the drugs you take for WG. I know that worked for me. On top of it, my doctor primarily concerned with my WG care, a pulmunologist who comes to a specialty clinic in my town from a regional hospital in a nearby town, actually brought up supplies for his patients in my town because they had adequate supplies in his town but we had a shortage up here. This was four years ago, but I came to really love that guy for his extra care of his patients!

Sangye
11-01-2009, 01:03 AM
It amazes me to see lines of thousands of people waiting hours for a vaccine. They're afraid to get the flu, yet they're willing to be in close proximity with huge crowds for hours! If they contract the flu in line, the vaccine will do nothing to kill it or make it pass faster. They could even be putting themselves in far worse danger--possibly contracting H1N1, seasonal flu and/or colds or any other contagious infection all at once. The vaccine isn't even effective for 10-12 days after it's given. And even then, it won't affect a pre-existing infection.

I think it's completely irresponsible of health care workers to put people in large crowds for hours just to get a vaccine. A better way would be "Take a number and go sit in your car."

onatreetop
11-01-2009, 07:48 AM
I have heard about some parents having flu parties for there kids. To get it and be done with it. I couldn't go that far.

andrew
11-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Re-reading this thread and having a think about it.

I am immuno-suppressed and therefore have a higher risk of catchng anything. Of the vaccine is 70%-90% effective in healthy people and given the fact that I'm immuno-suppressed (damn, that reminds me, must take my pills!) means that even if I do get the jab I'm probably only very slightly, if at all. protected. My immune system is not likely to 'remember' that I had it before and even less likely to recognise the fact that I've been given a vaccine. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I may not bother with it, despite previously giving reasons for taking it.

If I get it again, I'll bunker down, take drugs, complain alot and wait it out.

me = confused but thinking :)

Momof3
11-01-2009, 01:47 PM
I got my H1N1 single dose vaccine (no thermesol in single dose) today and my kids got the nasal spray( I tried to get them the injection but the clinic said it wasn't available for non-high risk kids). I am an RN and have three school age kids. The virus is prevalant in my kids school and the community. I think the risk of the vaccine is less than the risk of getting a viral respiratory illness. It is a strain of virus unique to humans-as of last spring- so the estimates are 50% will get it. People are contagious 24-36 hours before they have symptoms and people are also irrisponsible and send sick kids to school and go to work sick- so the chances of getting exposed are pretty high. The people I have seen at work are getting really sick, really fast. I don't think it is something I want to take my chances with. The trouble now is that it takes 2 weeks for full immunity from the injectable and my kids have to go back for a second nasal spray in 28 days before their immunity is complete. So in the mean time, we are militant hand washers. I think you have to determine if you are more concerned with a vaccine or a serious viral respiratory disease.

Doug
11-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I am a militant handwasher myself. I don't hesitate to emphasize what exposure to other people's diseases can do to me- if i don't take reasonabvle precautions to avoid exposure, i.e. wash my hands before touching my face or eyes. Sangye posted a really cute video in her post on the subject just a short time ago. It was for International Wash Your Hands Day (Or something like that). It's worth a repeat:

http://sweetnotalways.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7JgcbqW1L0&feature=player_embedded

I was mistaken- nevermind! Sangye has updated her blog with a blog on the theme of new drugs for weggies. Her blog always is interesting, often thoughtful, humorous, so once again I draw your attention to it. The latest blog is especially good.

jola57
11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Well I feel great, no lasting effect except for the red patch on the jab site. Its still red but has not grown. The flu epidemic is all over the news, Ukraine being the hardest hit. As personal as getting a shot is I am a great proponent of getting anythig and everything one can get to help. Antibiotics and flu shots and all meds we take will have some effect on bacteria and viruses, but them mutations occur whith or without our help. Is it a conspiracy theory to net more income for pharmaceutical companies - don't know - all I know is that by having the flu shot every year for the past 3 years I have not had a cold or flu since. Before that I would get couple of colds and the flu.

Sangye
11-02-2009, 01:52 AM
The flu shot can't protect against colds, so you must be doing something else to improve your immunity. I've never had a flu shot and only had the flu once in my life--10 years ago. Typical 3 days and then done. My office was filled with sick babies and kids all the time, so I was definitely exposed to everything out there!

coffeelover
11-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I agree Sangye regarding the standing inline to get the flu shots with many other possibly infected people...arghhh. Thought that many times myself
lisa

Jack
11-05-2009, 02:56 AM
I've just come back from having my regular flue jab and I'm still alive! ;)
I asked about the swine flue vaccine while I was there, but they are still waiting for supplies. That is not the impression given by the press. The program is supposed to be well under way.

Doug
11-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Weggies don't always have the luxury of having appointments exactly when they want them, because of jobs, availability of appointment slots, whatever, but I regularly made my appointments for the first opportunity to have the first appointment of the day. That reduced my exposure to germy, snot-nosed children (no doubt loveable to someone!) and adults with infectious diseases. There have been times I wore a mask when I couldn't get the desired first appointment.

Sangye
11-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Very good suggestion, Doug. The first appointment is also a way to avoid a longer wait.

Jack, glad to hear the flu shot didn't kill you on the spot. Too funny! :D

Doug
11-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Sometimes, because I come about an hour early, the doctor will take me early, and get a great start on his or her day! It also assures that I have the doctor's attention long enough to ask all the questions I have, but more importantly, the doctor isn't rushed to answer.

coffeelover
11-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I have a question regarding the H1N1 vaccine? Who and why does a select group of people get to decide who gets the shots? I would thik this could open up some discriination lawsuits? Any lawyers out there?
coffeelover

Doug
11-06-2009, 06:19 AM
In our country, anyway. USA! USA! No. 1! No.1! Sorry! Couldn't resist an open invitation for a zinger. Yes, I can see that happening. People like us, looking healthy on the surface, might be the cause of such suits when less healthy looking people see or hear of us getting shots when they can't get theirs. It's sort of a triage or crapshoot medical professionals and politicians have to do to try to minimize the worst effects of the worst possible scenario.

elephant
11-18-2009, 06:40 AM
I got my H1N1 shot today. It hurts at the site. Boy I was nervous, but I knew if I didn't get the shot I would be in big doo, doo. My son gets all sorts of viruses and of course I get them. Had the flu a couple years ago and ended in the emergency room. So ever since then I make sure I get the seasonal flu shot every year.:D

Jack
11-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Got an invite through the post today from my GP to come in and have the shot. The only thing that makes me hesitate at all is that the vaccine contains immune system boosters. Not sure if this is true of the annual vaccine, but it is a cause for concern.

Cindy
11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Just returned from getting my H1N1 vaccine :eek: Boy did have a go-around with my doc about this: I say "no way" he said "you must" . . . bottom line: Do I risk a flare from the vaccine (which I have had in the past, but not from flu vaccines) or risk getting the flu and the complications (I am immo-suppressed). The deciding factor for me was that I will be in Nepal for over two months - very third world conditions.
So, I am waiting . . . . .

P.S. I have to really had to do some talking in order to convince the local clinic that I am a "priority person" and I waited outside the building until they called my name - I was not going into that waiting room!

elephant
11-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Jack, your not the only one who is hesitant. Most of my friends are on the fence and they are healthy. They are concerned about side effects (long term). Hopefully I won't get any weird side effects from this H1N1 shot. I have to take my chances. My sister has the H1N1 virus and she is really sick. She is very healthy!:eek:

Jack
11-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I'll probably go ahead and have it.
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the immune boosting component is in the standard flue jab anyway and it hasn't killed me yet.

Sangye
11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
Whenever my Wegs doc wants me to do something (test, procedure, etc...) that I think can be delayed or avoided altogether, he says "Okay. I'm not going to arm-wrestle you over it." We both laugh and move on to the next item.

At my last appointment I didn't wait for him to bring up the topic. I said, "I'm not going to do any of the vaccines. My reasons for choosing not to do them are just as solidly based in science as your reasons for recommending them. I'm not going to arm-wrestle you over it." He did have to laugh at that. :D

Sangye
11-18-2009, 10:01 AM
For those who are getting the vaccines, bring a letter from your doctor with your diagnosis. You don't need a new letter, just a copy of your last clinic note. It'll have your list of diagnoses, your history and a few notes about your status. That will save you having to stand around a bunch of germy people and argue your case!

onatreetop
11-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I thought I was out of the woods being sick myself and getting over it in a couple days. Now my youngest is napping and sweating. It is 67 degrees in the house. We are still in it I guess. My daughter got back to school today finally and is very tired and warm again. I was thinking we were done with this flu thing but I guess not. I havent heard about my RA getting the vacs yet. I am going to pass on it. I had the flu last weekend and it was swine said the docs. So once again I beat them to it!!! Our nieghbors are keeping there distance again. Jesse has CF so when she gets sick she ends up in the hospital for weeks or a month.

Sangye
11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Your daughter has CF? Or is Jesse your neighbor?

Cindy
11-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Sangye, You are too funny - you sound like me with my doctor! I never thought of it as arm-wrestling :) And if I were not going to be out-of-the-country for two months in an area where there is NO medical treatment available - I would not have gotten the vaccines either.

onatreetop
11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Sorry neighbor. My daughter doesnt have any medical issues yet. Just the normal preteen princess pants witchy woman. She isnt a girly girly either.With three brothers how could she be.We ride share the kids to CCD but not this week. They are taking no chances. Cant blame them really. If I could stay home and lock myself in my room I would. No vacs anymore!

Sangye
11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
LOL-- one of my dog's nicknames is Princess Pants. She's not fussy, just something about it makes me giggle.

I know a few kids with CF. Major trouble if they get even simple colds.

I hope you feel better soon. I can't imagine having to be Mommy to everyone when you're not feeling well yourself.

Sangye
11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Cindy, I know, it's hilarious. He had me sized up pretty good within 10 minutes of meeting him. He knows I really know my body well and he respects that I understand Wegs, the tests, etc.... And he just doesn't want holes in the floor from me digging my heels in..... :D

elephant
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Hang in there Onatreetop! Hope your daughter feels better soon. Take good naps! Naps are great! :)

Doug
11-18-2009, 02:41 PM
LOL-- one of my dog's nicknames is Princess Pants. She's not fussy, just something about it makes me giggle.

I know a few kids with CF. Major trouble if they get even simple colds.

I hope you feel better soon. I can't imagine having to be Mommy to everyone when you're not feeling well yourself.

Princess Pants! She must be a character!:):):):)

onatreetop
11-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Princess pants, that is a good one. My mothers cat was named Sassy, the cat thought she was a queen and acted like one too.

And Jesse , or nieghbor, has lived longer than the docs thought she would so far. She is so tiny compared to the rest of the 7th grade. She has done a lot and her parents are great with her. Her moms in healthcare so...............they are really careful. Yes a cold a has landed her in the hospital for over a month. Than she comes home with pikline and has iv treatments at home for a few weeks before she can go back to school.

Make a wish foundation took them to Hawaii 3 years ago to swim with dolphins. Nice people.

mikecaven
11-19-2009, 04:45 AM
You should follow your Doctor's recommendation...but my rheumatologist is giving me and my wife a shot this Friday. He has treated 50 Weg patients and really seems to know how to deal with the disease.

Doug
11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Definitely follow your doctor's recommendations, as Mike says, because your doctor has the best knowledge of your specific medical history, so is in the best position to make an informed decision about whether you might best be served having or not having one.

jola57
11-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Just to report no ill effects from my H1N1 shot, I will try to get my regular flu vaccine monday.

Jack
11-23-2009, 08:08 AM
I was warned that I might feel some flu like symptoms, but ignored this because I've never felt anything with any other flu vaccine. However, I did feel distinctly off colour in the evening and went to bed early. I now have a very bruised feeling at the injection site, but no other ill effects.

Margo
11-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Phil,

I saw my WG specialist at Johns Hopkins 2 weeks ago for my regular 6 month check-up. He felt that I should get the H1N1 injection in order to be protected. JH had a limited supply and I took advantage of it. This doctor has been my life saver throughout my WG journey. I trust his judgment completely. I've had no bad reaction. I was diagnosed with WG in April 2005. Went into remission in August of the same year.

Please talk this over with your doctor. Maybe the shot is available to you.

Margo (recently joined the group thanks to Sangye)

elephant
11-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi Margo, I have a sister name Margo. I had no reactions to the H1N1 shot either. Glad I got it. Are you on any medicine to keep the WG in remission? :)

Sangye
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Happy to see you on here, Margo! Welcome! :):)

Sangye
11-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Onatreetop, how are you feeling now? All better, I hope.

Are the kids well again, too?

crackers
11-23-2009, 10:46 AM
had my h1n1 shot on yesterday along with the usual flu shot at the same time.no ill effects just two sore arms.
john.

pwc51
11-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I can report exactly the same H1N1 + seasonal jabs at same time a week ago - no ill effects. Have been told I need a second H1N1 in at least 3 weeks owing to the fact I am still on cyclophosphamide.

Doug
11-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't think it is available here yet, but there are people dying of it as close as a 2 hour drive away.:(

crackers
11-23-2009, 12:56 PM
yes i have to have a second shot also in 3 weeks.something to do with the imminosuppressants.sue has also had to have one because of my condition.hers did not go so well,her arm came up like a golf ball.she was not a happy bunny.
john.

jola57
11-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Hmm, I didn't hear that immunosuppressed patients had or should have a second shot. I'll check into it. I too had a red patch about 3 inches in diameter. It stayed on my arm for more than a week. I couldn't get both at the same time and should get one this week.

elephant
11-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I didn't know that either Jolanta. I will be making a call to my doc today. That's why I like this forum, you get great information!:D

onatreetop
11-23-2009, 11:18 PM
We are all good now.it took about three weeks for it to leave our house but I beleive it is gone.The kids seemed to get it twice or never recovered fully and it sprang back over a week. I feel much better and got out of the house. We beat the vacs. with the flu.
Second shot? I was told that it was ness. for kids 6 and under from the health dept. here.three weeks apart. I see the RA in two weeks. I will end up with it then.

Sangye
11-24-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm glad you're all over the flu!

I've only heard that the 2nd "booster" shot is used for small children. The first gives very minimal protection (as determined by presence of serum antibodies). Then they must wait 3 weeks for the booster. The 2nd shot takes 2 weeks to be fully effective. So from 1st shot to effective date, it's a 5 week period. That's assuming it's effective, of course.

Cindy
11-24-2009, 03:30 AM
I have had no reactions from either flu shot, and I am going to talk to my doctor about the need for a second H1N1 shot. I will see him in two weeks.

crackers
11-24-2009, 04:41 AM
i asked why the second shot and was told exactly what sangye said.because i have a suppressed immune system the first shot is not enough so the second shot is neccessary.
john.

Jack
11-24-2009, 05:32 AM
2nd shot required after 3 weeks for immune suppressed patients according to the NHS website.

snooz23
11-24-2009, 01:51 PM
I opted out of the vaccination that was offered to me in Cleveland....I surely hope I didn't make the biggest mistake EVER. I have never taken them in the past and I have never been in this predicament either.:confused:

Sangye
11-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Snooz, consider taking vitamin D every day. It's been shown to prevent and reduce flu severity.

This is my 4th flu season on immunosuppressants. I've never even gotten a cold. It isn't a given that you'll get the flu, or if you do, that it will become serious. In the end, either option--vaccine or no vaccine-- is a gamble.

Jack
11-25-2009, 03:04 AM
From what I can find on the web, it seems that the NHS advice has now changed and the 2nd shot is only being offered to children under 9 years of age.

crackers
11-25-2009, 04:34 AM
jack i go back for my second shot on dec 19th so maybe it's changed again
john.

jigivagha
11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
hello
i dignosed with wegi in jan 2009 in india and started medication. i am on cyclophosphomide 50mg now.I do not feel any symptom untill last week.Then i had a h1n1 flu shot last week since then i had fever and shortness of breath.
I didnt got specialist appoinment in canada. I am waiting for that since last six month. and my family phys do not have much knowlage abt it.so i dont know what to do. This resent symptoms is because of flu shot?
pls answer if any body has an idea

Jack
11-25-2009, 07:42 AM
I can't say if it has anything to do with the flu jab, but with symptoms like that so early into treatment you should be seeking medical attention. If it turns out to be a Wegener's flare it will probably only get worse and could be doing serious, permanent damage.

elephant
11-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Any symptoms of fever and shortness of breath requires medical attention. It could be the flu, infection, viral infection or wegener's flaring up. Hope you get help soon. :)

Margo
11-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Margo, I have a sister name Margo. I had no reactions to the H1N1 shot either. Glad I got it. Are you on any medicine to keep the WG in remission? :)
elephant,
You asked what meds I'm on to keep my WG at bay. I take Bactrim DS on M/W/F and 5mg of Prednisone daily. Think I will have to stay on these meds forever.
Margo

Sangye
11-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Hi Jigivagha,
Welcome to the group! I'm glad you've been doing fine until now.

Please see a doctor asap about your fever and shortness of breath. Elephant listed the likely infection and/or Wegs causes, but given that your symptoms began right after getting the vaccine, you need to be assessed for a vaccine reaction. Whatever the cause, you need prompt medical attention.

elephant
11-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Wow Margo, that is great! I'm on four meds to keep me stable ( bactrim, prednisone,cellcept and cyclosporine). I take the bactrim DS (one pill) everyother day. I will probably stay on cyclosporine and cellcept for a very long time. We are slowly decreasing the prednisone. My sinus and ears don't like it. So I am keeping a close eye on this. :D

Doug
11-25-2009, 02:36 PM
hello
i dignosed with wegi in jan 2009 in india and started medication. i am on cyclophosphomide 50mg now.I do not feel any symptom untill last week.Then i had a h1n1 flu shot last week since then i had fever and shortness of breath.
I didnt got specialist appoinment in canada. I am waiting for that since last six month. and my family phys do not have much knowlage abt it.so i dont know what to do. This resent symptoms is because of flu shot?
pls answer if any body has an idea

Are you getting any Prednisone, Jigivagha? Usually, WG will be treated with both the Cyclophosphomide and Prednisone in combination. Are you going to be in Canada at some point in the near future as a resident or citizen, or was the plan to go there for treatment?

There are several regular contributors on this site who are Canadian, and they may be better able to answer questiuons about specialists in their country, or, for that matter, in the USA, if you are living in one of the Canadian cities close to Rochester, Minnesota, or Cleveland, Ohio, where there are many Americans active on this site can also help you.

There are many ways we can help you get what you need to know, so feel free to ask us. There was another Indian, recently, who joined the site. I can't remember for sure, but it seems that person's doctor had trained in Canada, where he (or she!) had considerable experience with weggies. Perhaps that person will read this and add more information.

Front Page | Vasculitis Foundation (http://vasculitisfoundation.org/)

Jack
11-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Just heard back from my GP and he advises me that I don't need a second swine flu shot. Seems that opinions differ here!

Since I was a little unsure about having the first dose, I think I'm quite happy to accept his advice on this one. :)

elephant
11-27-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks Jack, that makes me feel better about it too. Happy Thanksgiving!

crackers
11-27-2009, 03:09 AM
jack it seems to me that each area health authority is setting it's own policy rather than following a national one.it's the only explaination i can think of.
john.

coffeelover
11-30-2009, 01:06 PM
I get my shot in the morning! I am so glad to get an appt.

onatreetop
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
We are all healthy for the most part still. Some conjestion in the kids but good otherwise. I have been getting more tired and more joint pain and some face pain back even with the pain meds. Been resting more than usual too. Fun, fun, fun, no vacs for us. I see the RA in 2 weeks. I am thinking about calling to bumb it up.

elephant
12-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Onatreetop, sounds like you know somethings up with the WG. You are definitely in-tune with your body. Glad you kids are good. Hope you see your RA soon. Your doing great on your exercise and weight loss. :):D

onatreetop
12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Just called and I am in at the RA at 815 am Wed. I will take notes this time so I dont forget to mention anything again. i wonder if he will have the vacs yet? If so he is going to want me to take it.

elephant
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Yea! Keep us posted. Wish you health and happiness.:)

onatreetop
12-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks. I am going to apply for a daycare job in the afternoon too. Time to start thinking less damanding work. Going to whip up the resume after 15 years. Should be fun.

germaine
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I was told by my interist that I shouldn't have anything with live virus - which isn't available in Canada anyway, and should have the unadjuvented vacine. i did get the shot a little over a week ago without any more effect than feeling a little tired in the evening.

onatreetop
12-03-2009, 04:26 AM
Here is a new one for all of you. My Ra that I saw today said that he wont give the shot to anyone taking more than 10mg of pred.!! That leaves me out. Then upped it to 60mg and doulbed the cytoxin and ordered a bunch of test and doct visits to a pulm. doc and cardio doc kid biopsy doc and someone else. second dose of pred just kicked in my mind is leaving me now. No shot for me!! I wasnt going to get it if I had a choice anyway had the flu.:o

Sangye
12-03-2009, 09:09 AM
You have natural immunity-- much stronger and no boosters needed.

I'm really glad your doc is taking action. Do you know about taking all your pred in the morning? It decreases the insomnia a little bit. (I know that today you had to take more after your doc appt- just thought you should know the pred-in-the-morning trick ;) )

onatreetop
12-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I did try to do that in the begining too. But.......................I needed a rubber room for a few hours after. I ended up taking the 20's 3 or 4 hours apart all before 3pm and slept much better. he said that the cytox can be taken whenever as long as I take it in the same 24hours. Had the ct and waiting to here from the other docs about appointments and when the bio is.