PDA

View Full Version : News!

Rini
05-13-2014, 10:35 AM
My boyfriend recently went to Canada, he brought back this story. News on genetic confirmation and new foundations have been established!

Dirty Don
05-13-2014, 02:42 PM
Wow wow wow...very cool!

drz
05-13-2014, 03:47 PM
Yeh, now we really are special and maybe have two rare genes to prove it.? :unsure:

vdub
05-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Pretty important step forward... Thanks, Rini.!!!

pberggren1
05-13-2014, 04:55 PM
I wonder what this means.

mishb
05-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Did they use your DNA Phil??

How many from here I wonder participated in the study with Dr Merkel and are part of these DNA strands.
If you participated, did they every or do they ever, tell you the results of your samples ie. that you have these 2 specific genes or not?

Wow, this is very interesting

Pete
05-13-2014, 11:04 PM
I sent a sample to Dr Siminovich shortly after I was diagnosed. I've heard nothing since.

I'm like Phil -waiting to learn more and understand what it means.

renidrag
05-14-2014, 12:50 AM
I donated in Boston through Vasculitis Research Council, that was through Mass General and also donated at Boston Medical, they were working with Merkel. I don't think they update you, had to sign a few forms releasing my DNA and giving them permission to use it. Thanks, Rini.
Dale

drz
05-14-2014, 02:47 AM
I agreed to participate in some genetic study and Mayo just forwarded some part of my blood I guess. It was a one time event. The longitudinal study on treating GPA patients is on going and long term. There are several collection points but the data and lab samples are forward to Merkel I believe. I think the vasculitis foundation has info on most of these studies.

annekat
05-14-2014, 02:58 AM
Great stuff, Rini, thanks for sharing. (Just figured out how to make it come up in the correct "reader" utility so I could read it!)

Alysia
05-14-2014, 03:32 AM
It makes sense to me that there are specific genes to WG. my parents are relatives.
also, the low incidence of WG in Israel might be connected to the fact that Israel is a country of immigrants from all around the world. so usually there are no reltives marriages. therfore maybe, less wg :confused1:

Dirty Don
05-14-2014, 03:36 AM
I've had a long standing theory that since my dad was at ground zero in Nagasaki 2 weeks after the bomb was dropped, that, in turn, his body was heavily radiated thus affecting his genetic repro...voila, moi! It's vague, non validated, but nevertheless, with possible discoveries like this, it lends credence...just thinking...as always...sips coffee...chokes...yuk....

annekat
05-14-2014, 06:03 AM
Sounds reasonable to me, Don, though you will probably never know for sure. Being there 2 weeks after the bomb must have done SOMETHING to your dad, for sure.

Dirty Don
05-14-2014, 08:11 AM
Yeah...killed him at 54...

annekat
05-14-2014, 08:14 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that and am pretty sure you have mentioned it before.... I forgot.

Dirty Don
05-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Anne, you are sooooo nice and caring...you scare me! LOL! Just kidding the nicest person on here!!!

annekat
05-14-2014, 08:28 AM
Anne, you are sooooo nice and caring...you scare me! LOL! Just kidding the nicest person on here!!! Oh, heck, Don, I'm no nicer than Alysia or Michelle or Cindy or a bunch of others I could easily think of! But thanks for the compliment. I'm probably too nice for my own good.... maybe better work on that.

pberggren1
05-14-2014, 08:42 AM
I don't think I've sent in any DNA.......lol

I have tried to be a part of some these studies that come up but usually I can't because I am too far away.

me2
05-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Interesting study.
I can only access the abstract for this study. Association of granulomatosis with polyangii... [Arthritis Rheum. 2013] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23740775)

Next time I go to my doc in Seattle I will go the University library where I can get access to the full study without paying big bucks for it . I'm not sure when this is. When I do get it I will make it available here by email from me.

Phil you hang it there. I have had a recent couple of bouts of problems too and surprisingly I am getting better again- dunno why really. I hope you start feeling better soon too.

pberggren1
05-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Thanks Kirk. I am glad to hear you are doing better.

vdub
05-14-2014, 04:53 PM
I sent a sample to Dr Siminovich shortly after I was diagnosed. I've heard nothing since
Same here. I sat outside the FedEx office in my car for about 20 minutes spitting into a tube until it full to the mark they specified. Then, I put into a package along with blood and off it went to Dr Siminovitch. That was about July2010.