PDA

View Full Version : High Glucose from Prednisone???

debhaz22
05-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Hi all,
I started 20 mg Prednisone almost 3 weeks ago (along with 15 MTX once a week, Folic Acid and Bactrim)
This past week about 1-2 hours after I take the Prednisone I get TERRIBLE headaches that last until the night. Also, yesterday I thought I was going to pass out, I was light-headed, shaky... So I took my blood sugar (thinking it was low), I had eaten 3 hours prior to this. It was 183!!! I DO NOT want to take the Prednisone anymore! I put 2 messages into Dr. Seo at JH yesterday and again this am asking him about this...heard nothing back. UGH. Does this happen with Prednisone? Anything can be done about it? I am SCARED!
thank you
Deb H.

Michael Bell
05-10-2014, 01:47 AM
I have not heard of this happening with pred. I would do as you as far as checking with your doctor but keep taking the pred in the meantime as this is probebly not related.
Mike

drz
05-10-2014, 02:22 AM
Pred does raise havoc with blood glucose levels which makes controlling it much more difficult for us people with diabetes. I would also assume your symptoms would be more likely indicative of low blood glucose levels as it sounds like the many hypogylcemic reactions i have had. Did you bother to check it again as it might have been an error? I always double check when I get a reading that doesn't seem right and some times the second and thirds ones seem more correct to me. I also have a several different meters to use to compare readings as problems do develop at times. A few months ago my readings were way off due to a batch of bad test strips which should have been recalled but I missed the notice. I discovered the error when I compared the readings with a couple of different blood glucose meters. For me a reading of 183 an hour or two after eating would be a good reading as readings normally should increase after eating some carbs and decline to lower levels in three or four hours. A 24 hour test with a CGM will help sort out if you have BG levels out of whack that may require some extra changes in meds or diet.

windchime
05-10-2014, 07:22 AM
A reading of 183 would be good for me too. And yes pred will raise your BG levels. High BG levels don't give me a headache or the shakes, but going hypo does. It could be totally unrelated to the pred. So talking to your doc is a good move. Keep us posted.