PDA

View Full Version : My pc crashed

Debbie C
05-09-2014, 08:32 AM
I was going thru some things on my desktop computer when suddenly my screen went black. Tried to reboot it a few times but nothing.So I called the cable co. and nothing was wrong there,then I called Dell tech. support and they wanted $ 185.00 just to tell me if they could fix it. So I started crying telling them I will never buy from Dell again since this was the second time this has happened and I lost everything stored ( pics,records,everything ) and he said I should take it to a local co. to fix. So now all I have is this crappy laptop that is soooooooooo slow. Any ideas from the comp wizes I might try before I though it out the window !!!!!:sad:

renidrag
05-09-2014, 12:01 PM
I learned there are different speeds the cable companies offer. Called and upgraded to next level. Everyone is happy, ergo so am I. Sorry you had the crash, never had problem with Mac. Unpaid blurb.
Dale

pberggren1
05-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Message vdub. He is awesome with computers.

Debbie C
05-09-2014, 12:22 PM
I have the cable people coming to look at it tomorrow but I think it's a goner.

pberggren1
05-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Mine did the same thing. I have not taken out the hard drive yet and tried it in another computer though.

annekat
05-09-2014, 12:53 PM
Oh, ick, computers. Mine is a Mac and has been pretty good to me. Although I did replace the hard drive myself after also losing all my pics and files. My stupidity not to have backed them up. That was maybe 5 years ago. The computer is now 10 years old. So, yeah, stuff to think about..... Good luck, Deb, I hope you can get it fixed without too much expense.

Dirty Don
05-09-2014, 12:58 PM
If I remember PCs correctly, try restarting the puter in the SAFE mode. That is when you start it up, start pushing F8 (could be F 12 - been awhile), and when it starts up select SAFE start. If that starts it, you should be able to access the things you have lost and download them to a CD or another storage device. If it doesn't start in SAFE mode, it's shot...well, not worth repairing.

windchime
05-09-2014, 02:12 PM
There are a lot of little neighborhood PC repair places here. I found one that is excellent. He charges $25-35 for a diagnostic and it applies to any repairs done. I don't think I've ever paid over $150 for repairs, which is cheaper than a new computer.

drz
05-10-2014, 02:50 AM
I was going thru some things on my desktop computer when suddenly my screen went black. Tried to reboot it a few times but nothing.So I called the cable co. and nothing was wrong there,then I called Dell tech. support and they wanted $ 185.00 just to tell me if they could fix it. So I started crying telling them I will never buy from Dell again since this was the second time this has happened and I lost everything stored ( pics,records,everything ) and he said I should take it to a local co. to fix. So now all I have is this crappy laptop that is soooooooooo slow. Any ideas from the comp wizes I might try before I though it out the window !!!!!:sad:

Last time this happened to me it was a bad video card so I ordered a new one and replaced it and this fixed it. It could also be a dead monitor if nothing shows up at all on the screen. It helps to check out the monitor to try it on a different monitor if you can, like using your laptop to see if the desktop monitor lights up if getting the screen from the laptop. Or try plugging your desktop into another video medium. Some TV screens will accept video from a computer.

brettgrant99
05-10-2014, 12:53 PM
I read this pretty late, so maybe you already had the cable? people come. I don't know that the cable company would be the first people that I would call. Perhaps you will get a good tech. Unless your hard drive has total done a swan dive, the data is probably there. Trying another monitor is a good idea, if you happen to have one. One of the most common things to fail is the power supply. New ones are pretty cheap. Do any lights or fans come on? I guess that I should have asked first, did you check the cables? A loose power or video card could be the culprit. There are a lot of things that it could be. If the lights come on, can you ping it? So many things to try, but more details are needed.

You were complaining about something being slow. I think that you mean that your backup laptop is slow and that you want to throw the laptop out of the window. I can understand your frustration. When you say slow, do you mean that the internet is slow or that the laptop itself is slow?

Anyway, I am not an expert, but I do know quite a bit about them, so if you haven't gotten fixed, let me know and maybe I can help. Or at least help you figure out if it is your computer or your internet. Don't do anything rash. Most likely all of your data is on your computer still.

Brett

Debbie C
05-10-2014, 01:28 PM
My sisters boyfriend brought over a monitor he had and hooked it up and it worked so he was deleting some things I don't need a doing a defragmentation on it but still don't know what the problem is . At least I have his monitor to use for now. He said something in the tower is not right ????? Thank you everyone for your ideas, I would have tossed it out since I have no clue at all about these things. I'm still trying to figure out how to change my avatar pic ????:confused1:

andrew
05-10-2014, 02:13 PM
My sisters boyfriend brought over a monitor he had and hooked it up and it worked so he was deleting some things I don't need a doing a defragmentation on it but still don't know what the problem is . At least I have his monitor to use for now. He said something in the tower is not right ????? Thank you everyone for your ideas, I would have tossed it out since I have no clue at all about these things. I'm still trying to figure out how to change my avatar pic ????:confused1:

I need to write some instructions on changing the Avatar. I've had a few questions recently about that. In the meantime send your Avatar to me and I'll upload it for you.

Debbie C
05-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Also Andrew,how do you store pics in the album ?? You'll need to write a manuel for me !!!!
Also while you are around here. do you know when and where you will be in New York ?

Jaypfei
05-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Debra I'm so sorry your computer crashed. If you lived closer I could probably have helped you out with a monitor. My hubby is a notorious hoarder. Seriously. If I die before him, I can guarantee that sooner or later he'll be on an episode of Hoarders. That man can't throw away anything. So yeah, I think with the three extra monitors in the closet, you could've taken one off our hands. Free of charge.
Hope you get the PC up and running. And btw, I'm with you on figuring out some of the posting stuff. I tried to post pics in an album and the photo ended up sideways. Lol. I ain't going back to fix it!

Alysia
05-12-2014, 03:24 AM
I was able to change my profile pic very easily... :ohmy:
I got into my "settings", then into "edit profile pic", then I deleted the previous one, then I browse a new one from my comp. all went smoothly. :thumbup: I was surprised at myself because I am not very experienced with all that technology :rolleyes1: maybe it went easy after wedgie's explantions to me about how to change my "registered user" :wink1:

Debbie C
05-12-2014, 10:52 AM
That's funny about your hubby Jaypfei,I hate to say it but I am the same way about my clothes and shoes and purses. It is definately my monitor ,my sisters boyfriend checked mine out and its gone and he is letting use this until I get one.I have a laptop but it is soo slow and I am use to the bigger screen now.
Alysia, you are good at posting ,I don't even know how to get a pic on facebook. I know how to turn it on,enter my contests,check e-mails and that's about it. Just like my car ,put gas in it and go !!!!