PDA

View Full Version : Methotrexate

fester500
09-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Hello,

I've been switched to Methotrexate recently - I'm now on 17.5mg weekly. I get pretty bad nausea for a few days afterwards. My doctor prescribed Ondansetron but it doesn't seem to help much.

Any ideas for what could help?

Thanks!

jola57
09-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I have taken now 5 doses of 15mg per week once a week, and only experience nagging dyspepsia and burning. Just on monday I stopped taking 150mg cyclo after almost a full year. with these meds and pred I have not had any nausea. at the beginning I bought Ondanestron 4mg tabs but have never taken it, It was hugely expensive and now I am stuck as I can't give it away.:confused:

andrew
09-19-2009, 11:04 PM
It's a shame that the Ondansetron doesn't help. It's usually the answer. The only other suggestions I have are Ginger tablets (work wonders for me) or something called Stemetil. The Stemetil is only available on prescription but you can get ginger tablets over the counter. They sometimes come in the form of travel sickness tablets. Obviously they're not as strong but they may do the trick all the same.

fester500
09-20-2009, 01:06 AM
I find ginger tea helps a little bit, so those tablets may well do the trick. Thanks!

Doug
09-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Same with gingerale, but you have to swallow some calories with it. The tea's very nice for the comforting warmth for your stomach as well!

coffeelover
09-21-2009, 02:53 AM
I have been On MXT for 8 months now and I found to eliminate that yucky feeling I need to take my pills directly before eating a good, healthy larger meal. So, I am usually home and able to make a good size meal on sunday nights. That is the night I choose to take the MXT and I take it right before sitting down to eat. I do not get that sick feeling by doing this.
Just and idea!
Lisa Coffeelover

jola57
09-21-2009, 02:10 PM
I also chose sunday, just because I can laze about after taking it in the morning with a variety of crambled eggs, so no yucky feeling

fester500
09-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I also find a big meal on the evening I take it helps. However, the bad nausea for me starts the next day and lasts for three days or so. Does anyone use the injection instead of tablets?

Thanks!:)

Sangye
09-22-2009, 01:05 AM
I was on mtx injections for about 2 months. I didn't notice any side effects. Mtx didn't work for me, though--got infiltrates right away.

jola57
09-30-2009, 01:13 AM
From what my doc said it is the inections that are more likely to give the nausea.

mucjud13
10-02-2009, 04:01 AM
I have been on pills and injections for years. I had to switch to inections of Methatrexate both me and my doc said it would minimize side affects and it did. I am on .8 and have self injected for over four yrs. now on and off.
Since my last flare last yr 2007-8 I have been on inj. for over 14 months now with only slight problems like vitamin deficiency, few sores on lips but no more flares!!!
Good Luck,
Judi:)

Cindy M
10-02-2009, 04:29 PM
I tried MTX when I was first diagnosed in Jan/09. It did not work for me but I did take if on Saturday morning so that I had Saturday and Sunday to lay around because of the nausea. It was not really that bad for me though.

Sangye
10-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I was on mtx injections for a couple months, but developed lung infiltrates right away. That was long before I started at JHU. In the letter my JH doc wrote to get ritux authorized last week, he said I was allergic to mtx. Has anyone else heard that the lung infiltrates are actually an allergic reaction?

jola57
10-03-2009, 07:03 PM
It seems possible that you reacted to mtx with your lungs getting the infiltrates. What about you sinuses at tat time?
When taking mtx did everyone take Bactrim or not? My doc told me to stop taking it when I stopped cyclo and started mtx.

Sangye
10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
I was told to stop Bactrim when I stopped ctx an dwent on mtx. Something about ctx makes us particularly prone to pneumocystis carinii.

I've been on ctx since June this time, but I haven't taken Bactrim. My doc wanted me to, but he didn't push it. I've had tons of antibiotics--particularly in the past few months, so I'm staying off of them. I used to tolerate Bactrim fine, but now it gives me trouble. I feel lousy enough!

Some people say staying on Bactrim reduces their sinus infections. I don't have those, so I can't say.

jola57
10-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Everyone in my office have had the cold or flu, even my hubby, yet I am fine. Couple of nights ago I had a bit af a spike in temperature 38 deg C, I was cold, shivery and sweaty. But by morning I was fine. So don't know what was happening but hopefuly that's the end of it.;)

crackers
10-13-2009, 07:27 PM
had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago jola.temp got up to 38.9. so the doc gave me amoxicillin along with paracetamol and i lay on the bed with a fan blowing on me.temp came down and i was ok the next day.thankfully.
john.

jola57
10-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe we are not out to pasture as yet eh John?

Sangye
10-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Lots of people at our temple have had colds and the flu in the past couple weeks. I'm not constantly around them, but certainly enough to catch something when there's that much going on. Still, no sickness. Even though any veterinarian looking at me would put me out to pasture!

Doug
10-15-2009, 01:25 AM
(Watch out if they talk about "putting you to sleep", though. I lived across the street from a vet for several years, and he told me what they really do. Har!):):):)

Sangye
10-15-2009, 01:35 AM
That reminds me of an old Gary Larson cartoon. A dog was in the passenger seat of the car and his owner was driving. The dog happily shouted out to another dog on the sidewalk, "I'm going to the vet to get tutored!!"

Doug
10-15-2009, 01:41 AM
Yes, that's one of my favorite Gary Larson cartoons! I wonder what he's doing these days?

Sangye
10-15-2009, 01:43 AM
I think he got neutered.

Oh, you probably mean Gary Larson.

Jack
10-15-2009, 02:06 AM
I think he got neutered.

Oh, you probably mean Gary Larson.
:D

jsundberg
12-02-2009, 09:10 AM
I was told to do a 6 month wash out...being off MXT for 6 months.....before getting pregnant. Anyone else going through this? Or know where to point me on this site to talk about pregnancy and WG?
Thanks. I'm new and finding it hard to move around in here.

Sangye
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
I suggest you start a new topic thread called Pregnancy and Wegs (or something like that--easy to identify the topic).

Here's how to do it:
1) Start on Home page
2) Click on General WG Chat
3) Right above where all the posts are listed, you'll see a little blue tab labeled "New Thread"
4) Click it and write your post! Make sure you label the thread in "Title."

katwoman
12-02-2009, 05:54 PM
My Rheumy has put me back on 15mg Prednisone daily and Methotrexate 50mg once a week, as its seems to be limited (affecting sinus and joints and not organs) he feels this is the best option and I wasn't keen to go back on the cyclophosphamide unless organs were being damaged anyway, so I guess it was the best outcome I could hope for (other then no medication at all and it will just go away.....lol, can always dream).

I have read a few threads on Methotrexate and decided I will take it on a Friday evening, so starting this coming Friday. Don't remember doses mentioned, so can anyone tell me the likely hood of that dose making me feel unwell (thought if it did it was probably best to deal with it over a weekend not a work week).
kat

timbo vic aust
12-02-2009, 10:07 PM
i take methotrxate every saturday night with dinner { a big meal } as well i find within hours my aches and pains in my legs and joints are worse and that by bed time 10-11 pm i am totally zonked its like i've taken a sleeping tablet. and i really feel it the whole weekend as well but the funny thing about it all is the opposite to what i have been reading i do not get nausea or feel sick at all i feel for you all . i would rather put up with the aches and pains rather than trow up all weekend.

BARON
12-03-2009, 03:46 AM
Hi see your Doc my wife says taking lansoprazole helps plus ginger biscuits in a morning before she took her methotrexate she was on 25mg

Momof3
12-03-2009, 04:38 AM
I switched from oral Methotrexate to injections 3 weeks ago because we are increasing the dosage hoping it works. I was very nauseated and had stomach pain with the oral dose. Now that I am taking injections my stomach is fine, no pain, no nausea-it is nice. The only thing I have noticed is I am very tired the day after my injection but that is better than sitting around trying not to puke.

katwoman
12-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks for your comments, I will take all your comments on board (like the idea of ginger biscuits - but I would back on Pred :D all food sounds like good food...hehehe) - honestly I promised myself to control my eating.

Its good to get your comments so I am prepared before the first dose on friday night (with a good size dinner), going to health food store to see what they have in the form of ginger tablets - but i might be lucky like tim and not feel sick at all - so fingers crossed.

ticklytoes
01-02-2010, 06:09 AM
momof3,
I have also been on the tablets and will start injections today...we are trying it to see if we get better pr3 results. Did you have an improvement in your blood levels when you started taking the injections over the tablets?