PDA

View Full Version : With Our Compromised Ammune Systems...

TOBEY32
05-08-2014, 04:06 AM
should we be watching our sun exposure? Are we more susceptible to skin cancer?
Been working as a cashier in a grocery store, and as the weather gets warmer I think about it when I have to go out to retrieve shopping carts. I take 25mg Imuran which is my immune suppressant.

David

Alysia
05-08-2014, 04:19 AM
Hi David :)
I think that it is always better to use cream to protect from the sun. especially with our meds.

pberggren1
05-08-2014, 04:38 AM
I don't think we have to worry about this Dave. How long would you be out collecting the carts? If you are out for say, over 20 or 30 minutes, then I would apply a good sunscreen. Maybe your boss can have someone else help you gather the carts so that you are not out so long. I was thinking of you this morning and wondering how you were doing. I hope you are doing well.

drz
05-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Skin problems become more common after having Wegs a few years (one study indicated most Weggies develop some skin issues after 5 years) and this might increase the risk of skin cancer too. Some meds make us more vulnerable to sunburn too but your pharmacist can tel you if you have any of those meds.

MCC
05-08-2014, 06:59 AM
Whilst probably not an issue BECAUSE of the disease, you should definitely stay out of the sun when taking imuran! From the imuran leaflet online:

[*=left]Your doctor will have discussed with you the possibility of a slightly increased risk of cancer (particularly skin cancer) associated with immunosuppressants like azathioprine. Do not use sunbeds, and avoid strong sunlight or use a sun cream with a high sun protection factor (SPF of at least 15).

mishb
05-08-2014, 08:59 AM
I have two medications that advise to avoid direct sunlight - MTX and Plaquenil.

As a worksafe practice (not sure if you have this in the USA), if you are out in the sun for more than 5 minutes Dave, then the company you work for, should provide the appropriate protective clothing - hat, sunglasses, UV shirt.

annekat
05-08-2014, 09:07 AM
I have two medications that advise to avoid direct sunlight - MTX and Plaquenil.

As a worksafe practice (not sure if you have this in the USA), if you are out in the sun for more than 5 minutes Dave, then the company you work for, should provide the appropriate protective clothing - hat, sunglasses, UV shirt. I knew there was SOMETHING I take that i should avoid sun with. It's the MTX. I wasn't sure about pred, too. I have fair skin and will never be a big sun hog, but do go out just a bit for light gardening and such. Right now, it just isn't that intense at my house and I'm not out too long. Later, I'll need to be more careful... those are good suggestions, Michelle, for anyone, but especially for those of us on certain drugs.

windchime
05-08-2014, 09:33 AM
I knew there was SOMETHING I take that i should avoid sun with. It's the MTX. I wasn't sure about pred, too. I have fair skin and will never be a big sun hog, but do go out just a bit for light gardening and such. Right now, it just isn't that intense at my house and I'm not out too long. Later, I'll need to be more careful... those are good suggestions, Michelle, for anyone, but especially for those of us on certain drugs.

Anne do you actually get to see the sun up there other than July and August?? Just kidding. I miss being up there. Lol :flapper:

annekat
05-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Anne do you actually get to see the sun up there other than July and August?? Just kidding. I miss being up there. Lol :flapper: Yep, we had a couple of days in the 80's last week, which WAS unusual, for sure. Today was sunny but the drippy stuff is supposed to start again tomorrow. At my house, sun is most evident in the morning right now and gets blocked by trees and the hill behind me. Later, it will be up higher and will give a little more heat and warmth for longer, but it is usually warmer in town than here on sunny days. I'm glad you got to appreciate this part of the US for a time.:cool1:

Alysia
05-08-2014, 05:05 PM
we have plenty of sun here most of the year.... sometimes too much.... so I am always with protective cream.... although a bit of sun, not in the warm hours IS important to get Vitamin D.

Debbie C
05-09-2014, 01:39 AM
You shouldn't be out in the sun much with pred also. I got so Burnt when I was in Fl. but I love the sun and put accerlator on and was at the beach and pool all day. Ended up in e.r.. But I am very prone to skin cancer,have had it removed about 4 times already and just went to the dermatogolist last week and have a spot on my leg that has been there for years ( i thought it was just from wg ) but it's bascil cell cancer and I have go next month to have it removed. Still nothing will keep me out of the sun.

But David for as long as you are out there getting carts you should be fine. Also wear a hat !

drz
05-10-2014, 02:30 AM
Good sun glasses might also be advised to help protect the eyes as bright sun can be damaging to your eyes too.

Alysia
05-10-2014, 06:28 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10288789_785277931505838_3931337539619805521_n.jpg

Debbie C
05-11-2014, 01:04 PM
I love that, Alysia:lol: