PDA

View Full Version : Steriod question

Donnak06
05-08-2014, 12:09 AM
Had my first cytoxan iv last thursday went OK, didn't feel sick afterwards but so tired for 2 to 3 days after. I have a question regarding the steriods, I feel Ok in the morning and then two to three hours after I have taken my steriods my heart races and I feel breathless this doesn't last too long, is this a side effect of the steriods as its not one thats listed. I'm on 60mg a day and feel tired, i thought they were supposed to give you energy, I have been on them one month now and haven't put on any weight yet do you normally when do you usually put the weight on. My face is a bit fatter but not much.

Also how long were you on the high does before they started to reduce you, my doctor said i have to be on 60 mg for 12 weeks and then they will reduce them I thought this seemed a long time.

Dirty Don
05-08-2014, 03:36 AM
Hi Donna, when I was on high doses, it was the 'hunger' for food, especially chocolate, that added the weight, not the actual drug! If I'd been able to resist Godiva chocolate I wouldn't have put on so much extra weight. Of course, now the studies are out that extra weight is good for one in medical situations, especially as we age...so no problems! LOL! I was on 60mgs out of the hospital for 3 mos, then docs started reduction to 40, 30, 20, then piecemeal. I failed once at getting off pred last Sept, but am off it again and feel pretty good without it. It all seems like a long time, then again, we've never had to do this, have we? Every day is too long, but not long enough my friend...best to you.

Jaypfei
05-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Hi Donna,

When I took prednisone I would get flushing(turning red), sweats and heart palpitations. I'm thinking that it's fairly common side affect. The heart palpitations I'm used to. I take 100 mg Metoprolol twice a day for tachycardia.
However, if the racing heart/palpitations get to be too extreme, you may want to let your doc know.

murmur
05-08-2014, 10:45 AM
I did not gain weight on steroids either. I started on 60mg as well, and went down to 55 after 3 weeks, and tapered off slowly from there (now on 10mg). 12 weeks does seem like a long time, but it depends on how out of control your disease was to begin with. Make sure you ask about ANCA cells. Steroids can cause muscle weakness, so that could be why you feel tired.

Donnak06
05-08-2014, 10:00 PM
Thanks everyone. I have rang my nurse and she is going to check with the doctor when I can start to reduce them and get back to me next week as he is on holiday this week.