PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassing But True

Sangye
05-02-2014, 10:58 AM
This is a bit embarrassing to post but here goes. LOL

Since I got dx'ed with Wegs vacuuming has been a huge problem for me. I have to save up energy for a few days beforehand, then it takes me 3-4 hours to vacuum the one large room I live in. I have to constantly sit down and rest, and by the end I'm wiped out for days. My family always used upright vacuum cleaners, so it never occurred to me to try a canister vacuum. Last week I realized it'd be much easier to push a small piece rather than the entire vacuum. Isn't that hilarious? It had never, ever occurred to me.

I got a canister vacuum yesterday and CANNOT believe how easy it is to vacuum. I did 1/2 of my room in less than 10 minutes and never had to sit down. When I'm done I step on a little button and it automatically rewinds the cord. And the whole thing is easier to pick up and put away. Ba-da-bing. You'd think I just landed on this planet. :blink::rolleyes1:

Pete
05-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Perhaps your next vac will be an iRobot??

I'm retired from Hoover, so your "confession" gave me a chuckle. Hope you're doing well otherwise. Miss your wisdom on this forum.

crackers
05-02-2014, 11:13 AM
everything comes to she who waits.even wisdom.
john.

Sangye
05-02-2014, 11:19 AM
LOL You guys are so funny!

crackers
05-02-2014, 11:49 AM
it's been a long time between posts my friend.i hope you are well.
john.

annekat
05-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Perhaps your next vac will be an iRobot??

I'm retired from Hoover, so your "confession" gave me a chuckle. Hope you're doing well otherwise. Miss your wisdom on this forum. So, that's why when you clean, Pete, you call it "Hoovering" when most of us call it vacuuming, I guess. At least I think it was you.

annekat
05-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Great to hear from you, Sangye! I used to clean houses for a living, and found the various vacuums I used to each be awkward in its own way, whether canisters or uprights. But then, I was often dealing with stairs and stuff. And there are lots of models I haven't tried. I was given an old Rainbow vac, a canister design with a water bath system to keep the dust down. I'm wondering if you got one with a HEPA filter. In any case, I'm so glad you had your vacuum cleaner epiphany and that it is so much easier for you now! I wouldn't call it embarrassing.... you couldn't have known what a difference it would make.

Alysia
05-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Hey Sangye,
when I just saw the title, I was thinking to myself something like : OMG :w00t: :confused1: :ohmy:
and after I read, I was thinking to myself: whew... :huh: :wink1: :biggrin1:
Thankd for sharing :thumbup:

BookNut
05-02-2014, 05:41 PM
We once set off on a guided tour via horse and farm wagon into the adirondack wilderness in upstate NY for a day trip. We were looking forward to a peaceful day. And then a large party of campers clamored onto the wagon with all their gear and two yippy dogs. The dog owner looked at all of us on the wagon and said. "I know you must be worried about these two loud dogs. But you will see how well they listen." He then said to the dogs in a very stern voice, "You had better be quiet now, or I will get out the vacuum.". Those two immediately stopped their barking. A bit later, the dogs began to get restless and a little noisy again. The man turned to them and simply said, "Hoover!". No sound from them again for the remainder of the trip

So...all hail the power of the mighty vacuum (as Americans call it) OR the Hoover (as the Brits tend to call it)!

P.S. Sangye...what kind of vacuum did you get? I need a new one. I hated my last cannister because it was forever "biting" my heels, but I am finding my upright a bit of a chore now. Thanks!

Alysia
05-02-2014, 05:47 PM
We once set off on a guided tour via horse and farm wagon into the adirondack wilderness in upstate NY for a day trip. We were looking forward to a peaceful day. And then a large party of campers clamored onto the wagon with all their gear and two yippy dogs. The dog owner looked at all of us on the wagon and said. "I know you must be worried about these two loud dogs. But you will see how well they listen." He then said to the dogs in a very stern voice, "You had better be quiet now, or I will get out the vacuum.". Those two immediately stopped their barking. A bit later, the dogs began to get restless and a little noisy again. The man turned to them and simply said, "Hoover!". No sound from them again for the remainder of the trip

So...all hail the power of the mighty vacuum (as Americans call it) OR the Hoover (as the Brits tend to call it)!

P.S. Sangye...what kind of vacuum did you get? I need a new one. I hated my last cannister because it was forever "biting" my heels, but I am finding my upright a bit of a chore now. Thanks!

:lol: cats too... my cats are terrified when they see the vaccum...
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6234472960/h34D6A8D9/

MCC
05-02-2014, 07:22 PM
you need a roomba! one of those ones you just leave to do the cleaning up for you.

annekat
05-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Great story, Jacquie! As for Roombas, pets seem to like them.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/127828/thumbs/s-ROOMBA-CAT-large.jpg

pberggren1
05-02-2014, 10:48 PM
Oh Sangye, this gave me quite the chuckle. You may feel embarrassed but I'm sure all of us had a few moments like this in our lives. Too bad you did not have tile flooring. I used do some cleaning for a couple places, a pool hall and some big office. Both only had upright vacuums. After a week I told them get canister vacuums or I quit. So I understand how heavy those beasts are.

Pete
05-02-2014, 11:05 PM

Ah, Hoover. A company (and family) name that became a verb. Sadly, the company I worked for no longer exists. The Hoover brand belongs to TTI, a Chinese company that also owns Dirt Devil among others. :(

pberggren1
05-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Pete, you used to work for Hoover? Neat.

drz
05-03-2014, 03:10 AM
you need a roomba! one of those ones you just leave to do the cleaning up for you.

Yep. Medicare would probably buy one for you if your doctor said you needed one for medical reasons.:wink1::biggrin1:

drz
05-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Great story, Jacquie! As for Roombas, pets seem to like them.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/127828/thumbs/s-ROOMBA-CAT-large.jpg

My sister's cat is only cat I have seen that loves a vacuum cleaner. Any time they turn it on, she comes running and wants to be vacuumed too or else play with it till she gets vacuumed. Our dog was always wary of it and watched it closely every time we vacuumed after it accidentally ate up one her favorite toys when watching. After that she would quickly pick any up any toys when the vacuum got close to her toys on the floor.

Alysia
05-03-2014, 03:19 AM
http://pics-for-fun.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/cat-is-hiding-from-vacuum-cleaner.png

Jaypfei
05-03-2014, 07:09 AM
I despise my Bissell upright. I have the same issues with being worn out after going over the house. The fact that it isn't one of those self propelled models just makes it more difficult. So definitely understand and don't think it's silly at all.

pberggren1
05-03-2014, 08:00 AM
Our cat loves to be vacuumed. She would lay by the vacuum to give us the hint.

vdub
05-03-2014, 09:27 AM
My daughter has a roomba and they are totally cool. They just quietly go about their business day-in and day-out. When they get too tired, they head back to the dock to get a few more electrons, then pickup where they left off.

Jaypfei
05-03-2014, 10:04 AM
Our cat loves to be vacuumed. She would lay by the vacuum to give us the hint.
My friend on FB posted a funny video that she found. It's a cat dressed in a shark costume sitting atop a Roomba. The cat is just riding around on it. Of course would be funnier if they had dubbed the Jaws theme to it.

rebekah
05-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Reading this post and the talk about the Roomba, I instantly thought of the cat in a shark costume that was floating around facebook too. He doesn't even flinch when it runs into the wall! For those that haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLt5rBfNucc

annekat
05-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Totally funny, Rebekah! There's also the one where he is chasing a small duck that way, and some others that come up when done viewing.

So some cats like to be vacuumed? That would be a blessing, as they generally don't like baths and many don't get them.

Roombas do sound totally cool. I'd be a little worried about them vacuuming up the wrong things, but I guess that wouldn't happen much and things could be found in the filter.

pberggren1
05-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Cats don't need to be bathed, they do a good job themselves. I think I would like to be a roomba.

annekat
05-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Cats don't need to be bathed, they do a good job themselves. I think I would like to be a roomba. I agree with you, Phil. I've never bathed mine. But I do like the idea of flea eggs and other debris getting vacuumed out of them. Of course there are flea combs, too, and flea treatments. I've had cats who liked being combed.

Alysia
05-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I think I would like to be a roomba.

http://s11.postimg.org/54i5htd4z/grumpy_cat_batman_cbcb9350_sz320x327.jpg

woz
05-03-2014, 11:19 PM
Thanks Rebekah, that has made my day, I am going to show that to my dog, then give him the lawn mower, and tell him to dog up, either he mows the lawn, or I am going to trade him in on a cat..............

Regards Woz

Michael Bell
05-04-2014, 08:53 AM
my two cats run out of the room the moment the vaccum cleaner appears. You do not even need to turn it on.
Mike

windchime
05-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Mine too. :ohmy:

mishb
05-04-2014, 02:46 PM
My husband has been a Commercial cleaner for over 20 years..........thankfully for me, that means no vacuuming :thumbsup:

He has a backpack vacuum cleaner and swears by them (even when he injured his back)

We have many different vacuum cleaners in the garage. I like the canister ones the best.

He also said that the Robo ones work wonders on tiled/lino floors but the suction need for some carpeted floors, they just don't work well enough, especially if you have pets inside that lose hair.

RCOSSIO
05-09-2014, 09:51 AM
http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2030&stc=1&d=1399589362

Is this how you feel???

Sangye
05-09-2014, 10:23 AM
Someone asked what kind I got. It's a Kenmore canister with HEPA filter. VERY bright orange model-- can't miss it. LOL

I don't think a Roomba would work for me. I've got carpeting, 2 dogs (one quite hairy) and it would scare the pants off my bird! Not that my bird wears pants.... :biggrin1:

pberggren1
05-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Someone asked what kind I got. It's a Kenmore canister with HEPA filter. VERY bright orange model-- can't miss it. LOL

I don't think a Roomba would work for me. I've got carpeting, 2 dogs (one quite hairy) and it would scare the pants off my bird! Not that my bird wears pants.... :biggrin1:

You have a naked bird?

me2
05-09-2014, 02:26 PM
A bird without pants- what kind of world do we live in?????

Dirty Don
05-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Monolithic boogers, naked birds, Roomba dogs...omg, what would I do without all of you! Love you all!

Alysia
05-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Monolithic boogers, naked birds, Roomba dogs...omg, what would I do without all of you! Love you all!
what would we do without you ? :wub:

Alysia
05-10-2014, 09:54 PM
http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2030&stc=1&d=1399589362

Is this how you feel???
Hi, nice to see you around :) I can't see the pic that you added..... :confused1:

Alysia
05-10-2014, 09:57 PM
You have a naked bird?

http://funnyasduck.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/funny-shocked-owl-flying-forgot-pants-pics.jpg

annekat
05-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Hi, nice to see you around :) I can't see the pic that you added..... :confused1: Me either...

delorisdoe
05-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Awesome...and hi!

mishb
05-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Awesome...and hi!

Oh my goodness Leigh, where have you been and how are you doing?

JeanMarie
05-14-2014, 07:35 AM
I know it was extravagant, but I got a robot--I couldn't survive the cat hair without it.

delorisdoe
05-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Oh my goodness Leigh, where have you been and how are you doing?

I have benn unable to open anything in this forum for more than a year but I seem to be able to now. I am doing quite well. How are you?

mishb
05-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Well I am still here and you will find lots of new people here as well - here is the best place to be :tongue1::thumbsup:

Glad to see you back

annekat
05-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Glad you are doing well, Leigh. It seems so weird that you would have that problem using the forum for a year. I hope that was the end of it!

Alysia
05-15-2014, 05:27 PM
I have benn unable to open anything in this forum for more than a year but I seem to be able to now.

sounds scary to the addicted one :scared: :wink1: :blushing:
I am glad you can make it back and that you are ok.