PDA

View Full Version : what dr for what

keegan55
04-15-2014, 08:10 AM
Very mad right now. Last night started a cough and very sob am 4 weeks post op on the wedge biopsies and resection of parg of right lower lobe. I called the pulmonary dr st 9:30 this am they called back at 4 telljng me dr out of office all week but I can see nurse practitioner I then say can I see the rhuemy she tells me that this is a GP problem

so 1. Am I wrong to think she cannot judge whats happening
2. This is probably GPA related how do u deal with all of this and should those 2 drs handle my problems If I am wrong please let me know

Dirty Don
04-15-2014, 09:29 AM
You are NOT wrong. GPA/WG should be the very first question/concern that comes out of yours and your docs' mouths...really! As for an NP, I'm under the care of one right now as my original rheumy retired (damn, and she was great!) and Mayo hasn't found who they want yet, so they keep telling me. Anyway, she has done a great job and the head rheumy (also specialized in WG) has only had to come in once to meet me. She consults him when she's absolutely not sure about something, and she knows a lot. So, if the NP knows his/her stuff, then you should be fine. Best to you.

lag713
04-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Definitely GPA related. They should take your SOB seriously. The person consulting with you on the phone is likely unaware of how serious your condition is. I have been frustrated talking to/scheduling with office staff before for the same reasons.

The nurse practitioner may be sufficient. It's definitely better to see someone than go without the care you need. A GP can be alright but I've not trusted mine with my care. I would only trust my rheumatologist and ENT (or pulmonary doc in your case).

windchime
04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
I would say any SOB situation would be a pulm issue. In the absence of the pulm doc, the rheumy might agree to treat, but it sounds post op. From personal experience it could be a collapsed lung or blood clot so I would say someone needs to order a chest X-ray. At any rate if you can't get someone go to the emergency room. If it's a blood clot it's life threatening. I probably wouldn't wait until tomorrow come to think of it. Look up lung blood clot and see if your symptom fit. Good luck and keep us posted. Hugs to you. :hug2:

PS I would make sure the pulm doc knows what response you got when you called in.

keegan55
04-15-2014, 01:29 PM
Thank you so much for your support. I agree some care better then nothing. I guess I am afraid she say its asthma or something else it isn't and its just a waste but will try to see her tomorrow

keegan55
04-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Thank you for your input I do not think blood clot but more of an effusion yes could be post op but its 4 weeks will try to go tomorrow thank you so much for caring

keegan55
04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks so much for your input I guess I am afraid she will say what it isn't just like when this all began I will try and see what happens

Alysia
04-15-2014, 11:55 PM
Hi, I dont know what is NP because we don't have this kind of professional here.
but I think that you should see professional pulmy, and if you can't go to another doc, maybe you should go to ER. good luck and update us :hug2: