PDA

View Full Version : Psych Eval

windchime
04-08-2014, 06:12 AM
So today in the mail I received an appt for a psych eval for my social security claim. Seriously had anyone else had to do this? This just depressed me more. :confused1:

Dirty Don
04-08-2014, 07:32 AM
Hang tough, the bureaucracy is simply raising its ugly head...

Alysia
04-08-2014, 05:10 PM
what for ? I don't understand why. what are they trying to prove and how you should be in order to get what you desereve to get ?

renidrag
04-08-2014, 11:06 PM
I did not have to do that.
Dale

windchime
04-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Well I'll see how it goes. In addition, in a separate envelope I received MORE paperwork from the SSA to fill out. I wish they would send it all in one big batch. And how much more do they need? This is the third packet of papers to fill out since sending in my app. Maybe that means they are working on it? or trying to trip me up. I don't know.

renidrag
04-09-2014, 12:01 AM
I had been receiving short term disability from my work insurance, when it turned over to long term disability, after two years I became eligible for SSDI. The insurance company paid someone to get me approved. They of course saved a ton of money. From what I have read and heard, the gov't will turn you down the first time you apply. If you are able to afford a lawyer who does this for a living it might be worth it for you financially and emotionally. I do think they try to drain you down even though it is your money that you paid into the system. Incredible. Good Luck.
Dale

windchime
04-09-2014, 01:24 AM
Oh I have an atty. But I'm still the one that gets to fill out the paperwork and go to the appts.

annekat
04-09-2014, 02:13 AM
I did not have to do that.
Dale Neither did I. I feel lucky that I got it so easily. But true, the paperwork and online work were overwhelming.

drz
04-09-2014, 02:48 AM
So today in the mail I received an appt for a psych eval for my social security claim. Seriously had anyone else had to do this? This just depressed me more. :confused1:

Did you other info from doctors suggest possible depression?

Can you call the evaluator and ask how their evaluation relates to a claim for disability for an autoimmune disease like GPA? How much time will the evaluation take and what tests will be given. Any such info might help you understand the why for what they are requesting. I know that in the past psychological evaluations were some times done as part of determination for Social Security Disability and it might help your case to have another doctor provide reasons why you can't maintain regular full time employment.

Debbie C
04-09-2014, 10:34 AM
Cindy,when I first applied for SS,they made me go see a psych. also.That was also when I was on high doses of pred,ctx and bactrim and I was so wigged out I could bearly drive. He asked me a bunch of different questions and had me count backwards from 100 by 3,I had such a hard time trying to think and I just starting crying. I guess he thought I was bad enough.It's just another procedure to go thru,you should see if your lawyer can get u out of going.

windchime
04-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the reponses.

drz: I've called the dude twice to reschedule that appt since they schedule at the same time as my next pulm appt and if I cancel I can't get in to see him until May. He hasn't called me back. I did give him a full packet of medical documentation with several different docs notes. I don't remember if any of them mentioned depression. I've been depressed for years and on meds on and off. Currently off. The letter says they may conduct tests. I don't have a problem with it, but I would have thought with all the documentation I did submit they would have enough. If this is the determining factor then I glad for it. We'll see.

Anne: Lately all the paperwork has been just that paper. Nothing online lately.

Debra: if I have to count backwards by 3's I'll probably cry too. I have short term memory issues and would have to think way to hard to do that. Lol.
I'll let you know after the appt.

drz
04-12-2014, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the reponses.

drz: I've called the dude twice to reschedule that appt since they schedule at the same time as my next pulm appt and if I cancel I can't get in to see him until May. He hasn't called me back. I did give him a full packet of medical documentation with several different docs notes. I don't remember if any of them mentioned depression. I've been depressed for years and on meds on and off. Currently off. The letter says they may conduct tests. I don't have a problem with it, but I would have thought with all the documentation I did submit they would have enough. If this is the determining factor then I glad for it. We'll see.

Anne: Lately all the paperwork has been just that paper. Nothing online lately.

Debra: if I have to count backwards by 3's I'll probably cry too. I have short term memory issues and would have to think way to hard to do that. Lol.
I'll let you know after the appt.

Getting documentation by an "objective evaluator" about how your depression affects you will help your case for disability. I would guess the evaluation is to get a current reading on the severity of your depression and your current level of cognitive functioning and similar things and nothing to fear. At one time most social security disability determinations required a third party evaluation by some one social security selected to confirm the validity of the claim.

windchime
04-12-2014, 05:24 AM
I think if may also include a determination on whether or not I could hold down a job. I guess that would be the cognitive functioning part. I don't fear it, but I'm apprehensive as I'm not sure how much this will play into the determination. My guess is that the SSA person can't decide one way or the other and that's why the psych eval.