PDA

View Full Version : Question on prednisone

murmur
04-03-2014, 09:28 AM
For anyone who was on a high dose of prednisone; when did you start to see the "moon face" go away? I was on 60mg and now I am at 20mg and it has gone down a little. Just curious about anyone else experience.

randyt1
04-03-2014, 10:40 AM
I started at 80mg. and now at 5mg.for about 1yr. "moon face"

gone for now.. Sometimes I have swelling around eyes.

annekat
04-03-2014, 01:47 PM
I think my moonface went down at about 15-20mg. At 10mg., it is gone.

Dirty Don
04-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Mine was gone between 40-20mg.

Jaha
04-03-2014, 02:40 PM
I've to go back a forth between 30-10, in the last 3 yrs. Even developed Cushing's syndrome
From to long of use. I finally made to 10 and the moon face went away. My rheumy also told me at that
Level so would the cushings. I'm back at20 again and have the moonface once more:thumbdn:

Alysia
04-04-2014, 12:24 AM
under 20mg.

DJS
04-04-2014, 12:38 PM
My wife is now 71 and she has the wrinkles of her grandmother. You refer to the look as "moon face", we looked at it as regaining her youth with all of the wrinkles being filled in. Wrinkles came back during taper until she is back to normal ie "old"

Dennis

annekat
04-04-2014, 01:05 PM
My wife is now 71 and she has the wrinkles of her grandmother. You refer to the look as "moon face", we looked at it as regaining her youth with all of the wrinkles being filled in. Wrinkles came back during taper until she is back to normal ie "old"

Dennis That can be true with some people, I guess. Everyone's face is different. I have small features and they tend to get swallowed up by a moon face. But I see your point about the wrinkles and I'm glad that your wife was able to get that benefit, if only briefly, as a small compensation for all the more negative effects of pred on the body.

Pete
04-04-2014, 02:33 PM
Mine went away once I got under 20.

mishb
04-04-2014, 09:34 PM
I don't even think mine has yet and I'm on 3mg pred. :wink1:

It probably has and my husband says its not as bad - but we all know the mirror lies, so I just can't see it.

Anyhow, I just wanted to say Hi to Murmur and welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

drz
04-05-2014, 03:24 AM
For anyone who was on a high dose of prednisone; when did you start to see the "moon face" go away? I was on 60mg and now I am at 20mg and it has gone down a little. Just curious about anyone else experience.

I started to lose the "buffalo hump" about 20 mg too.

Wegetarian
04-05-2014, 03:26 AM
It was a gradual thing, but I guess around 15-10mg. Also lost 13cm from my waist :)

tankerB25
04-05-2014, 03:27 AM
Hi I started, this time, at 80 down to 7.5 the moon face started to go when I got to 10 but the weight i gained is still here. I'm working on getting rid of it but it seems like a very slow process. Good luck!

Steve

drz
04-05-2014, 03:30 AM
Hi I started, this time, at 80 down to 7.5 the moon face started to go when I got to 10 but the weight i gained is still here. I'm working on getting rid of it but it seems like a very slow process. Good luck!

Steve

After a year I sort gave up and bought more larger size clothing and two years later I bought more and gave away my pre Wegs clothes. My weight sort of seems stable now for past two years but it is 18% higher than before the Wegs treatment..

Alysia
04-05-2014, 04:09 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10007481_608940892507811_610839401_n.jpg

annekat
04-05-2014, 01:11 PM
Well, I'm about to find out if going back up to 20mg. will bring back my moon face. My bloodwork this week showed my inflammation level has gone up and the doc wants me to up the pred from the 7mg. I've been on. I've had vertigo a couple of times and a lot of sinus and ear pressure, plus a CT scan just showed my sinuses to be blocked and barely draining. Haven't actually talked to the doc about any of this but the pred goes up to 20 starting tomorrow. I'll know more next week when I see the doc, and will see the ENT the following week..... will let you all know what happens.

murmur
04-05-2014, 01:26 PM
Well, I'm about to find out if going back up to 20mg. will bring back my moon face. My bloodwork this week showed my inflammation level has gone up and the doc wants me to up the pred from the 7mg. I've been on. I've had vertigo a couple of times and a lot of sinus and ear pressure, plus a CT scan just showed my sinuses to be blocked and barely draining. Haven't actually talked to the doc about any of this but the pred goes up to 20 starting tomorrow. I'll know more next week when I see the doc, and will see the ENT the following week..... will let you all know what happens.

Ok good luck with everything and thank you!

annekat
04-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Ok good luck with everything and thank you! Thanks.... I won't hijack the thread by talking about my recent issue here. I hope your moon face goes away at the higher end of the range! And I don't remember personally welcoming you to the forum, so, welcome to the forum! It is the best place to be if we have to have Wegener's.

Alysia
04-05-2014, 10:54 PM

Dear Anne, I hope that our dear friend, Pred, will help you soon. please update us :hug1:

annekat
04-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Dear Anne, I hope that our dear friend, Pred, will help you soon. please update us :hug1: i will, but on another thread or on Facebook.... I really don't know anything yet.

pberggren1
04-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I also went back on pred a couple days ago to 40mg. Breathing and energy and coughing up mucus was getting worse. I went for labs a couple days ago as well and the WBCs were up to 11.8 and the CRP was up to 35. So something is going on. I suspect still part of a mini flare and I might need another dose of RTX or it is a lung infection. I'm leaning towards a lung infection. Thankfully I see my new lung doc next week.

annekat
04-06-2014, 02:12 AM
I also went back on pred a couple days ago to 40mg. Breathing and energy and coughing up mucus was getting worse. I went for labs a couple days ago as well and the WBCs were up to 11.8 and the CRP was up to 35. So something is going on. I suspect still part of a mini flare and I might need another dose of RTX or it is a lung infection. I'm leaning towards a lung infection. Thankfully I see my new lung doc next week.Sorry to hear, Phil. Mine feels like a mini-flare along with allergies. I hope yours is not a lung infection, but just a mini-flare as well.

pberggren1
04-06-2014, 02:14 AM
I actually prefer this to be an infection. Even a mini flare could cause more scar tissue to form in the bronchi and make the breathing worse.

windchime
04-06-2014, 02:18 AM
I'm sorry to hear you both have to up your pred (Anne) or start it again (Phil). It will hopefully stop things in their tracks so you don't have further distress. Hugs to both of you. :hug1:

annekat
04-06-2014, 02:20 AM
I actually prefer this to be an infection. Even a mini flare could cause more scar tissue to form in the bronchi and make the breathing worse. Oh, well, in that case, I hope it's an infection and not a very severe one, which can be easily treated. We don't want to see any more scar tissue building up in you!

Alysia
04-06-2014, 04:28 AM
I also went back on pred a couple days ago to 40mg. Breathing and energy and coughing up mucus was getting worse. I went for labs a couple days ago as well and the WBCs were up to 11.8 and the CRP was up to 35. So something is going on. I suspect still part of a mini flare and I might need another dose of RTX or it is a lung infection. I'm leaning towards a lung infection. Thankfully I see my new lung doc next week.

oh :crying: I am sorry, sweetie. I hope that the pred will do a good job and will make you feel better and breath better, so that NO flare and NO lung infection will be found... like Anne said, we really don't want more scar tissues... enough is enough ...

what is going on here ? Phil and Anne ? our 2 "rocks" of the forum :w00t: :crying:
prayers and hugs to you, take care and update us.
now let our best friend, Pred, do its fight....

annekat
04-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Alysia, I knew Phil was a "rock" of the forum, but I didn't think I was. Or if I am, there are more than two. Several others have a big presence on here and have been here longer than I have... Anyway, I felt bad about saying I hoped Phil had an infection; it came out sounding wrong... I just wanted him to have what he considered the lesser of the two evils, but really would prefer he had neither, of course! I felt OK today on my 20mg. of pred. Not enough time for the moon face to show yet!

Alysia
04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
2 "rocks" among more others..... and of course you mean only good Anne ....

pberggren1
04-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Of course you are a "rock" here Anne.....you just plain rock :love:

I'm sure my new lung doc will want to at least take a look around inside so hopefully he doesn't find anything too bad. But I know it is bad unfortunately based on my breathing. I went up to 60mg of pred today. I will drop down to 30mg for the next few days until I see my lung doc.

Alysia
04-06-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm sure my new lung doc will want to at least take a look around inside so hopefully he doesn't find anything too bad.
aw Phil, how can he see anything too bad ??? when looking INSIDE you, one can see only so much goodness :love:

ingemlb
04-06-2014, 09:07 PM
sorry to hear you had to go onto such a high dose of Pred Phil. Hope you manage to control it quickly. I think I am still doing ok on 30 and hope to drop further by the end of the month. All the best Phil.