PDA

View Full Version : Made to England

vdub
04-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Well, I'm in the UK! So far all is OK. Adjusting the meds with regard to when I take them took a little thought, but no big problems. I brought enough meds for a month. I'm currently near Ely at Mildenhall. The customs people didn't even ask about all my drugs, however, I doubt that many drug mules lay out and neatly label all their drugs.

mishb
04-01-2014, 08:25 PM
Excellent news vdub. Gosh that came around quickly.

Did you wear a mask on the plane?

When I flew over to the USA I had all of my meds labelled and a letter from my doc explaining each one, and kept them with me at all times so that they didn't disappear if luggage got lost - no-one battered an eyelid, and from a previous trip to the USA we know how full on they are with security etc........nothing.

Have a fantastic trip and keep well and stay safe.

vdub
04-01-2014, 10:44 PM
I'm told that it will be harder to get back into the US with my drugs. Like you, I have letters and stuff.

No mask. I haven't ever had a problem that way.

renidrag
04-01-2014, 10:48 PM
So happy for you vdub, have a great time and take a lot of pictures.
Dale

rif
04-01-2014, 11:12 PM
Welcome to England vdub have a great holiday.

Rif

Rose
04-02-2014, 02:08 AM
Hope the weather behaves itself for the duration of your trip. As you I am sure know, it is very unpredictable in the UK. But even in the rain it can be beautiful. You going to be visiting Scotland? Have a wonderful trip!!!!

Rose

Alysia
04-02-2014, 02:33 AM
Hey vdub, I am glad all went well and that you are in England ! have a wonderful trip and take care !
you can meet some weggies over there maybe, Geoff, Sam, Gwen, Gilders, who else... ?
and if you are "done" with England, 5 hours flight and you are here. please come and be my guest. the weather is just great now :)

Debbie C
04-02-2014, 03:47 AM
Hope you have a great vacation and stay safe and healthy

KimH
04-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Have a great time in the UK.

NikkiNicole
04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Jealous Jealous Jealous Jealous Jealous. That's me. I am SO SO SO SO jealous that you are in England. I WANT to be there SO bad. I'm afraid if I visit, I'll never return to the States. Hey, if they won't let me back in with my medication ... ALL the more reason to stay there.
Enjoy your time there. Take pictures. UH! I can't get over how jealous I am! haha. Have a wonderful time!!!

drz
04-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Well, I'm in the UK! So far all is OK. Adjusting the meds with regard to when I take them took a little thought, but no big problems. I brought enough meds for a month. I'm currently near Ely at Mildenhall. The customs people didn't even ask about all my drugs, however, I doubt that many drug mules lay out and neatly label all their drugs.

Hope tour goes great for you. Enjoy!

Geoff
04-05-2014, 04:57 AM
Hey VDUB!!,
Guess you slipped in under the radar, we could have arranged a welcoming party for you. Ely is about 2hours drive north of me and has a simply wonderful Cathedral. Last summer we visited it and took the tour were you end up on the roof! yes its a must do if you get the opportunity.
If you are contemplating dropping into Mildenhall or p[erhaps Lakenheath then drop me a PM and it would be great to hook up.

Good flying and hope you have a fit and enjoyable time!

vdub
04-05-2014, 06:38 AM
We are staying at Lakenheath until 10Apr and then we're going to Paris for a couple days, but we'll be back, The Ely Cathedrals are definitely on our list. There is more stuff than we could do in a lifetime here. The UK is a wonderful country and meeting up to everything I have ever heard about it. Except the food which has traditionally had a bad rap, but I think its wonderful. I really like crumpets -- I have devoured many already. Everything is simply wonderful. I could stay here a long time, but only brought enough drugs for a month. Bummer... I knew I should have brought more.

renidrag
04-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Let us know what you need, we will get it to you through the Weggie Underground. So glad you are enjoying.
Dale

woz
04-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Enjoy vdub, I hope the weather stays good, Have you enjoyed driving on the left hand side of the road yet!!

Regards Woz...

ingemlb
04-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Enjoy your trip Vdub. Brings back many great memories from June last year. We spent 2 weeks in the UK, few days in London, then in Kent with relatives and then a week in Portsmouth near friends. It was all really great despite both of us being ill the entire trip. We managed to do a lot of site seeing. We both LOVE England. Want do make a longer trip in the future and include Scotland and Wales and Ireland. We have friends in Scotland and Wales who have invited us several times. And Ireland will be for genealogy as my husband's ancestors are from there.

I come from Germany so when we go to Europe we always spend at least a month in Germany and it takes that long to visit all the relies :)

Oh I would LOVE to jump on a plane and head right back there but have been told to have a year off from travelling. I so hope by next year I will be off this pred and game enough to try again :)

In Kent we enjoyed Canterbury Cathedral. Well worth a visit.

But wherever you go the countryside is beautiful and also so much history. I think I could easily spend a year over there to do it all justice :) pity it costs so much to travel.

Now Israel is one place I would love to visit too. We made it to Spain last year as I have a cousin there and my brother and his wife live in Madrid so we had a whirlwind tour of spain from Madrid to Almunecar then to Seville and back again. Was great fun. Have never managed Italy or Greece. So much of this beautiful world of ours still left to explore :)

vdub
04-06-2014, 09:31 PM
We drove north to York yesterday. Its a long way! About a 4 hr drive. I have rented a car and experienced driving on the left, but we took a bus to York. It was a long day -- 0600 - 2300. I am paying for it today with a lot of pain., so we'll take today off.

ingemlb
04-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Sounds like a wise idea to rest up. Lucky for me driving on the left is what we are used to :) You may need to plan shorter trips each day to keep well. All the best :)

Geoff
04-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Hi vdub,
Congratulations on your trip to York. You are certainly packing a lot in on your trip. Good day to rest up as its a bit rainy. Forcast is to improve after Monday but I guess you knew that already! Did you get to York Minster yesterday? never been myself but it does look impressive.
How are you getting to Paris this week?

vdub
04-06-2014, 11:22 PM
Yes, we did see York Minster, but only for a short time as it was closing for the day. We also saw the "shambles" where some of the shops and houses date back to mediveal periods. And, of course, we walked on the city wall -- kind of humbling to walk on stones that were quarried by Roman legionaires over 2,000 years ago. Anything over 200 years old is ancient in the US. :-)

Renidag, Thanks for the offer on the underground connection. I always carry pred around with me, but I'm probably one of the few weggies that isn't on a regimine of pred, which is probably because I'm on cortef. The most serious drug I would be missing would be dessmopresin, but I'm sure we will be home before it becomes an issue.

pwc51
04-07-2014, 03:51 PM
I have just been to the US, and back. I too carry my medication in hand luggage. It is in its original packaging and I carry a copy of the prescription to prove legitimacy. To date I have not been asked about them, either way, even though there are syringes for my MTX injections.

gilders
04-11-2014, 05:38 AM
Vdub, I've not been reading or writing posts for about a week. Wish I had of been. I don't live too far away from York and would have met up for a pint. Noticed that you mentioned you were going to Paris on the 10th. I'm sure you'll have a great time, just be aware of pick pockets and other con men/women, especially around Eiffel tower

vdub
04-11-2014, 06:01 AM
just be aware of pick pockets and other con men/women, especially around Eiffel tower
​I had heard about the pick pockets so I did prepare. I hope I prepared enough. I worry most about my drugs, so I have them split up in several areas, zippered in my pocket and then fastened on a lanyard inside my pocket with a safety pin. My ruck sack is triple locked with carabeeners and the contents are secured with individual lnyards and safety pins. I had heard that they sometime are able to grab the ruck sack without you knowing so before coming over, I sewed an additional belt to the harness straps and it snaps with a carabeener. Also I put a lanyard strap on my tablet computer. I may not be able to save my device, but maybe I'll know its being taken and get a few good licks in -- something he won't forget.... That's the theory anyway... :-)