PDA

View Full Version : Bad circulation?

lag713
03-27-2014, 11:33 AM
Does anyone else suffer from bad circulation in your hands and/or feet? Is this just me? I feel like they are always cold and overly sensitive. Any tricks to improve circulation?

I often have joint pain and swelling in my hands. I don't have swelling in my legs/feet.

Thanks!

MikeG-2012
03-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Does anyone else suffer from bad circulation in your hands and/or feet? Is this just me? I feel like they are always cold and overly sensitive. Any tricks to improve circulation?

I often have joint pain and swelling in my hands. I don't have swelling in my legs/feet.

Thanks!

I was going to ask my doctor about this at my April appointment. My feet seem like they are cold a lot of the time, especially in the evening, and my wife says they are not. Thanks for pointing out that I'm not the only one...

JenG
03-27-2014, 03:34 PM
I was diagnosed with Weg's when I was 27, 14 years ago! I have had cold hands/feet since then too. I have noticed that when my hands are cold, they actually "hurt" and are discolored until I rub them with lotion. I think the "hurt" I am feeling may be the "Overly sensitive" feeling you may be referring to. I have been wondering if it is the rubbing action or the lotion that helps more--either way, they always feel better afterwards. I have always attributed the cold feeling to being on blood pressure medication (I have kidney involvement) as I believe that is a normal side effect. Thinking now, as an honorary MD (like yourself!), the nature of vasculitis is inflamed vessels...which means less blood and oxygen traveling through veins/vessels to our extremities. Could a little exercise help this? Would it get more warm blood to our extremities quicker reducing that "cold" feeling? Maybe it is just the "rubbing" action that makes my hands feel better when I apply this logic. I do spend a lot of time sitting wrapped in a blanket (with kitties snuggled up close to keep me warm)!!

Good luck! I highly recommend the rubbing of lotion (I use pure lanolin as it is completely natural) over purchasing cats!! (lotion costs way less than cats...)

Jennifer

windchime
03-27-2014, 03:38 PM
If you have neuropathy or diabetes your extremities might feel cold. I know that my feet often feel cold, but when I touch them they aren't. I think it's the neuropathy. If you don't have neuropathy and they feel cold, but aren't to the touch my uneducated guess is that's it's connected to your nerves.

Rose
03-27-2014, 09:00 PM
Google REYNAULDS DISEASE and REYNAULDS and VASCULITIS

Something they thought I had when first diagnosed as a result of the vasculitis but with treatment it went away.

Rose

lag713
03-28-2014, 12:19 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies! I am very fortunate to not have neuropathy, high blood pressure, or elevated blood glucose. I think the cold and discomfort is probably being caused by the vasculitis. My rheumatologist had asked if my hands (purplish) usually look that way (which they have for a decade before dx). I didn't ask her why she asked but it would make sense. I think it may be due to a mild form of Raynaud's Phenomenon as a result of GPA. I had ruled it out before because I don't have white fingertips, numbness, or experience pain as they warm up but maybe it's only a mild form. Raynaud's is associated with rheumatic diseases. To make things more fuzzy, GPA is considered a connective tissue disease so that may be the cause.

Either way, I'll bring it up at my next appointment. In the meantime, the treatment I found for Raynaud's online is warming your hands and feet in warm water and protecting them from the cold outside. I'm sure that exercise would help circulation generally and is positive for overall health. It can't hurt to get moving. :rolleyes1:

lag713
07-09-2014, 06:32 AM
It turns out that I do have Raynaud's. I went to my pulmonologist for lung tests and discovered that I have asthma that has gone undiagnosed since I was about 10 years old and Raynaud's. The technician was trying to determine my O2 saturation using a finger sensor and it kept dipping below 85 when I walked briskly. She kept asking me if I felt like I couldn't breathe or if I was okay. It turns out that Raynaud's throws off the fingertip monitor so she thought I was seriously oxygen deprived.

I'm glad it wasn't more serious and that I am receiving treatment for asthma. Nothing to do about Raynaud's except continue treating Wegener's and keeping my hands and feet warm.