PDA

View Full Version : A good report from the ENT!

MikeG-2012
03-14-2014, 10:38 AM
I had my shortest ENT visit in two years today! Doc scoped left sinus, ran suction for about 30 seconds, switched to the other side, did the same, then rolled his chair back and said to me, "OK, tell me what you have been doing different the past month..." It kinda freaked me out a little actually. So I explained again what I as doing. With the Waterpik, I've been running the antibiotic through at the lowest flow setting while plugging the other nostril. I'm doing that until the sinuses are full, then I stop the water flow and let the rinse sit in the sinuses for 20-30 seconds, then I blow out the rinse. I do this three times with the antibiotic, but before i do this with the antibiotic, I do this 5-6 times with the regular saline.

Long story short is my sinuses are looking the best they have been in the two years that I've been seeing this doctor! A day to truly celebrate! It's been a long road since the raw, bloody sinuses and major crusting that started back in July/August!!!

pberggren1
03-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I had my shortest ENT visit in two years today! Doc scoped left sinus, ran suction for about 30 seconds, switched to the other side, did the same, then rolled his chair back and said to me, "OK, tell me what you have been doing different the past month..." It kinda freaked me out a little actually. So I explained again what I as doing. With the Waterpik, I've been running the antibiotic through at the lowest flow setting while plugging the other nostril. I'm doing that Tunis the sinuses are full, then I stop the water flow and let the rinse sit in the sinuses for 20-30 seconds, then I blow out the rinse. I do this three times with the antibiotic, but before i do this with the antibiotic, I do this 5-6 times with the regular saline.

Long story short is my sinuses are looking the best they have been in the two years that I've been seeing this doctor! A day to truly celebrate! It's been a long road since the raw, bloody sinuses and major crusting that started back in July/August!!!

What antibiotic do you use in the rinse? How do you get it dissolved?

LindseyRN
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
That is awesome!!! Please elaborate! I need details, man. :biggrin1:

renidrag
03-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Way to go Mike!!!!!
Dale

drz
03-14-2014, 12:16 PM
I would think there are all sorts of liquid solutions that might be safe to use in rinses. I once had a sulfa suspension that I used to tried to desensitize myself to sulfa and I put one drop in 8 ounces of water to start. I wonder what liquids they use to rinse the sinuses when they are doing surgery on them and what cheaper equivalents might be easily available.

MikeG-2012
03-14-2014, 01:49 PM
That is awesome!!! Please elaborate! I need details, man. :biggrin1:

This is the third antibiotic for the staff infection in my sinuses. The infection has become resistant twice. My suggestion is to do what we (my ENT and me) have done. Take a culture of the infection and base the treatment on what the lab sends back that will work for that particular strain of infection. I've had three different ones, and each have been made by my pharmacy. Gentamyacin (commonly called Wilson's solution), one that I've forgot the name of, and the current one is Bactroban or Mupirocin ointment dissolved into 1 liter medical saline bottles. Each time it has been a Rx of 60ml in each nostril 2 times a day. My method of application is what I think is making an obvious difference (described below).

Take my advise, have the ENT do a culture and get the right drugs for the right bug. It saves you time and headaches (literally) and eliminates the trial and error method of treatments. We are so far ahead now than if we had done it that way. If your ENT won't do a culture, find a new ENT. There is NO reason any of us should have to deal with sub-standard, behind the times, old school ENTs who don't want to do everything in their power to help us. We find the best rheumatologists we can, right? Why should ENTs be any different? Mine is exceptional. You can read my endorsement under the doctors section of this forum.

woz
03-14-2014, 05:23 PM
Congratulations Mike, its good to have some positive news, and hopefully this may help many others. Keep up the great work.

Regards Woz.....

windchime
03-14-2014, 10:55 PM
That's awesome Mike. Good solution to your problems. I think you've stumbled onto something. Great news.

mishb
03-14-2014, 10:58 PM
Way to go Mike :thumbsup:

So the ENT didn't mind that you were doing a rinse that wouldn't/wasn't recommended by him?
Is he going to steal your process/idea ........ Whoops I mean, is he going to recommend to other patients, that they try this way?

MikeG-2012
03-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Way to go Mike :thumbsup:

So the ENT didn't mind that you were doing a rinse that wouldn't/wasn't recommended by him?
Is he going to steal your process/idea ........ Whoops I mean, is he going to recommend to other patients, that they try this way?

Every rinse that I use has been recommended and prescribed by my ENT, including the salt to baking soda formula for the saline. I even started using the Alkalol on his recommendation. The only unconventional thing I've been doing is holding in the saline and antibiotic rinses in the sinuses for a time. That was my experiment and yes, he is going to keep that method in mind for other patients. He dictated my process into my file for his reference as well as to document what I am doing for my care record. It is a really cool thing to teach the doc a thing once! Yea, there will be no living with me now! LOL!!

KimH
03-15-2014, 08:50 AM
You hold the nasal solutions in for a few seconds? Do you hold both nostrils closed? Oh, ahhhh, is it uncomfortable?

BookNut
03-15-2014, 03:35 PM
That is awesome Mike! I am very interested in the antibiotic administration and plan to bring your information to my ENT appt next week.

BookNut
03-15-2014, 03:40 PM
One question. the water pik....is it a kind that is designed just for nasal rinsing? I am assuming it is not the kind we use for teeth. Thanks and congrats!!!

Alysia
03-15-2014, 11:06 PM
great news Mike :hug3: thanks for sharing all the details !

jakekell
03-16-2014, 04:40 AM
Mike,

What a great idea you had. When I had a staff they had me use some type of little machine that put misted the meds into the sinus about 5 times a day plus Cleocin by mouth, which did clear it.

I think I will try that with my rinse I use. I think your right they should culture it and going forward I am not taking no for an answer as I sometimes do when I shouldn't.

I am getting a lot of good info from this sight as have been going it alone for the past 8 years glad I found this sight. I didn't look at first for a support group as things were so bad when they told me I had wegs (not far out of cancer treatments) that I thought hiding my head in the sand was a much better idea.......hummmm didn't serve me well at all.
I now see that the support and idea's I am getting are a much better idea that trying to act like I am fine.

Mary

MikeG-2012
03-16-2014, 06:45 AM
One question. the water pik....is it a kind that is designed just for nasal rinsing? I am assuming it is not the kind we use for teeth. Thanks and congrats!!!

As I posted another time: "I use this Waterpik (http://www.waterpik.com/oral-health/products/dental-water-flosser/WP-60/) with this attachment (http://www.sinupulse.com/index.php?p=3_3) (first one on the page. It gives the Waterpik and Interplak models that it fits in the description)

I started my Waterpiking journey with this device (http://www.sinupulse.com/index.php?p=3_1), and fried it by overflowing the basin and shorting it out. So in desperation, I looked for a Waterpik locally and found that my tips from the SinuPulse fit a Waterpik I could buy locally for $49.00.

Lately, I just bought my same model at a thrift store for $3.00. I sanitized it with white vinegar and I now have a good, usable spare should this one burn up or wear out. (I'm still running 3 liters 2 times a day through my sinuses to keep them healthy.)"

MikeG-2012
03-16-2014, 06:48 AM
You hold the nasal solutions in for a few seconds? Do you hold both nostrils closed? Oh, ahhhh, is it uncomfortable?

Not really anymore. I used to hate water up my nose. Grew up with a pool in my back yard as a child and hated it then too. Now, after all this rinsing, not a problem any more. Once you are used to the rinsing, this is nothing.

Yes, I hold one nostril. closed and fill 'em up with the waterpik on lowest setting.

Debbie C
03-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Glad to hear the good news Mike. I bet we will hear that dr. at some symbosiam (sp?) telling everyone this wonderful idea he came up with and will be put in medical journels. You'll make him famous !!!! But really is good to hear your nose is getting better:thumbsup:

MikeG-2012
03-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear the good news Mike. I bet we will hear that dr. at some symbosiam (sp?) telling everyone this wonderful idea he came up with and will be put in medical journals. You'll make him famous !!!! But really is good to hear your nose is getting better:thumbsup:

It is funny you say this because I discussed this with him once. I told him that if he wanted to publish anything about my case that he thought would help other people, that he had my permission. He then said we should take our show on the road. I then asked if I would get rich, he said no, not at all. He then started to say, "I don't think we would have that many people who would attend. It just boils down to...(he paused)" So I interjected with "...a really expensive nose picking!" We all had a REALLY BIG laugh that day. I though the medical assistant in the room was going to faint at what I said to the doc, but once he started belly-laughing, she laughed too.

It is really great to have a relationship with a doctor where you both can have a lot of fun with each other. (-8