PDA

View Full Version : I'm home

Barbara N
03-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I am now on dialysis for the rest of my life, a decision I was sure I would never make, but when they come to you and say you have a few weeks to live or you go on dialysis it kind of shakes you up. I kept thinking about my horse and who would ride her and take care of her. That all sounds very petty when you are talking about your life, but it was important to me. The procedure was much easier than I had expected and dialysis is much more calming that I thought it would be. I thought it would sound like a bunch of washing machines all rumbling around, but it is very quiet. Once I have healed I will have no restrictions, like I can ride and work in the garden and lead a normal life except every other day to the hospital for half the day. Finding some one to take you will also become more difficult as the time goes by and the novelty wares off. I don't know how much more our old car can take. I want to that you all for your kind support and encouragement, it really did help keep my going. We have a great group on this forum, I'm sending a hug for each and every one of you. Barbara

mishb
03-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I'm so glad you are home Barbara and I'm glad you made the best decision, not only for your horse's sake but definitely for your own :thumbsup:

You are so right about this group of people, they are awesome.

Take care of yourself and we hope to hear much more from you are time goes on :hug1:

pberggren1
03-10-2014, 10:41 PM
I'm so glad you are okay Barbara. Dialysis does suck but at least you have another change at life. Hopefully you get back to riding and gardening and such.

windchime
03-10-2014, 10:49 PM
It's good to hear you're home Barbara. I'm glad you made the right decision for YOU and there was NO pettiness involved as that is what is important to you. If someone feels that was petty, oh well, that's on them. I know you have some recovery time, but I hope you get to get out and say hi to your horse and of course share your love with them. All the best for a speedy recovery so you're back in the saddle again. Couldn't resist that phrase as I love it. Hugs to you.

BookNut
03-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Barbara, I am SO glad to hear that you are home AND that you decided in favor of dialysis. and i am sure all your friends and family are as well. I don't know where you live...but around here there are some charitable services that provide medical transportation services either free or at a low cost. Perhaps there is a social worker at the hospital that could out you in touch with such an organization? Hopefully the trip to the hospital is not too lengthy. In any event....Welcome Home. We are ALL so happy to have you back!!

me2
03-11-2014, 02:35 AM
Barbara, its good to see you back on here. I'm glad that you have the option of dialysis and that it lets you do things that you love. I know it can't be easy but I know you will have some good times ahead of you too- even if its just coming here to talk to us.
My own life has been very difficult for long periods of time in different ways and still I have found some amazing things got planted between the cracks that were well worth growing.

Psyborg
03-11-2014, 03:42 AM
Welcome home Barbara. I hope that the dialysis will help you get back to being more active with your Horses.

Pete
03-11-2014, 04:11 AM
Glad to hear you're back home, Barbara! Hope you're fully "back in the saddle again" soon!

Alysia
03-11-2014, 05:00 AM
welcome home Barbara :hug1:
I am glad that you are going for dialsis and saving your life, and that it is not so bad. you are a strong woman and you can make it. I hope that you can find an easy way to get to the hospital and back.
you are so precious to all of us here and we are all holding your hand all the way.
I am sending to you lots of love and prayers and hugs :wub::hug1::hug2:
take care and continue to update us.

JeanMarie
03-11-2014, 05:27 AM
Welcome home!! So glad you are better & dialysis is working well!!!:rolleyes1:

annekat
03-11-2014, 05:40 AM
WELCOME HOME, BARBARA! And I agree with Cindy that there is nothing the least bit petty about worrying about your horse and how she would deal with your absence. By now, I imagine you have had a grand reunion, even if you cannot ride her yet. Here's to better days to come!

NikkiNicole
03-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Yay! Barbara! You're home!!! I am so happy to hear that.

What you say about your horse is not unusual. I always think of my pets when I am going through something. Who would care for them? Would my husband take them to the shelter because he has no time for them?

Hang in there, we are all behind you!

gilders
03-11-2014, 08:04 AM
So please to here you're home. I hope my replies to some of your posts regarding my experience with dialysis helped. I wonder if you can give me some advice as I will eventually have to go back on dialysis.

When I was on dialysis my WG was very active and I had lots of other health issues. I was told that after the dialysis session I would feel much better with my "clean, healthy" blood. I never did feel any better, but I'n not sure if that was due to the other health problems. Have you been feeling better after your dialysis sessions?

I know dialysis does take up so much time and we've previously discussed kidney transplant which I don't think is an option for you. But have you considered dialysis at home?
From research I've done it is less time consuming due to no travelling times, or having to wait around in hospital/clinic. Not only that, but I've also read that it can be more effective as you can have more sessions, which isn't great, but will keep you in better health than been restricted to 3 times a week.
I have been considering (when the time comes) peritoneal dialysis. This can be done through the night, at home and also makes travel much easier than trying to find (afford) centres that offer hemodialysis. Plus as you can do it every night it keeps you healthy for longer and you get to enjoy everyday without having to plan your dialysis sessions around your daily/weekly activities.

Sorry if I'm throwing a load of ideas at you when you've only just started dialysis and coming to terms with the life style change:scared:

Debbie C
03-11-2014, 10:49 AM
GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE HOME:hug3: NOW GET OUT THERE AND GET RIDING,YOUR HORSE IS WAITING FOR YOU:thumbsup:

AND PLEASE TELL LENOX THANK YOU FOR KEEPING US UPDATED, I KNOW HE'S A HAPPY MAN !!!!!

Michael Bell
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Welcome home Barbara, back in the saddle with you. Please let us know if there is a chance for a transplant in the future for you.
Mike

KimH
03-12-2014, 10:01 AM
It is great that you are home. I hope the dialysis is easy for you. Thinking of you. Kim