PDA

View Full Version : New vasculitis center in the Pacific Northwest

annekat
03-10-2014, 07:19 AM
Vasculitis Center | Oregon Health & Science University | OHSU (http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/health/services/clinics/index.cfm?placeid=VasculitisCenter)
This is great news for those of us in Oregon and Washington and nearby states. There are no doubt some decent Wegs docs in this region, but finding them and getting to them can be a problem. This is the first actual vasculitis center I have heard of in this region; yes, it is new and not established like the well-known centers we talk about on here. There is one young rheumatologist listed. But she did her residency at UCSF, where there is a well-known doctor and center listed on the VF site. I would give her a chance. Unfortunately, the distance for me would still be a bit inconvenient. But it is something to think about, and a step in the right direction.

pberggren1
03-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Very cool. I know some weggies that go to Portland every year for holidays.

annekat
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Very cool. I know some weggies that go to Portland every year for holidays. Portland is supposed to be a pretty cool place. I lived there for 8 years as a kid and went to three years of high school there. I have not been back since 1969, though have driven through it on the freeway a few times.

Thinking back, I'm remembering some posts from ArlaMo about an ophthalmologist she went to in Portland who had a good command of vasculitis issues in the eyes and helped her quite a bit. His name was Dr. Rosenbaum, and I thought I might remember him from high school. Anyway, I'm not sure if he was at OHSU or somewhere else in Portland, but he would be an example of someone they could have on the staff at this new center.

Jeanne
03-10-2014, 01:04 PM
This is awesome! OHSU is a wonderful place, my mother has gone there for years for all of her care. The Vasculitis Center will be a great resource for those of us in the Pacific NW. :)

And. . . I was born there. lol

Dirty Don
03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Hmmm, now you're gonna make me think it could be possible to move back there...well, the coast anyway. And, yes, Dr. Rosenbaum is an opthalmologist there who has helped a WG acquaintance quite a bit. OHSU already has a great cancer and heart center...good that an AI has moved in too!

annekat
03-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Yes, you COULD move back there, Don. The Oregon coast is awesome, as you know.

lynie
10-17-2015, 09:12 AM
This is really good to know since I live in a small town in southern Oregon and my rheumy has never had a Wegener's patient before. I go to Portland often to see friends so it would be an easy trip. Anyone have more information or actual experience with the center or its doctors?

annekat
10-17-2015, 02:50 PM
I can only tell you that I have a Facebook friend in Seattle who goes down to the OHSU center. That's a bit of a drive, maybe close to what it would be like for you. To her, it is worth it, as she really likes the main rheumy there, a woman, I think her name is Dr. Sibley, or that's close. My friend has an even more rare type of vasculitis than we do, and Dr. Sibley has given her really good holistic advice, paying attention to other things that may be going on besides that. I wonder if the doc would be willing to consult with your doc, for the time being. Anyway, if you are on Facebook, look for the Vasculitis Social Group, my friend is on there and if you posed a question she would probably answer. There are other WG and Vasculitis groups, too.

lynie
10-17-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the info Annekat. I found the group on Facebook and I'll be posing the question there.

annekat
10-17-2015, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info Annekat. I found the group on Facebook and I'll be posing the question there. Great! If she doesn't answer right away, give it some time..... I also just remembered there is a member here whom we haven't heard from in awhile, who was going there. His username was dari something. Best of luck, and keep us informed!