PDA

View Full Version : Weak Muscles due to medication!!

stephwest
03-09-2014, 06:25 AM
I have been taking MTX (20mg week) and Pred (5mg day now down from 40mg) plus other stuff since July 2013 and my muscle tone has gradualy gone to the extent I tore some in lower back muscles resulting in even more pain ( scared to pick up a shopping bag )
I go to a physiotherapist - he said muscles are very weak and not to lift heavy loads etc and gave me light exercises.
Is there anybody there with similar muscle atrophying.
Many thanks
Stephen

MikeG-2012
03-09-2014, 06:47 AM
You bet Stephen. The prednisone alone will do that to you. I am still trying to get back to my old strength level, and it is VERY frustrating, not being able to do the things I once did. If I did not have my two able-bodied students that work with me at the college, I would not get much done. About three to six trips up and down a ladder during the day is enough too wipe me out. Part of my issue I think is lack of oxygen to my muscles because of the 5 (now 4) lung nodules and the chest cold/virus someone graciously imposed upon me. I have noticed SMALL improvements over the past few months, but it is SLOW, steady, small progress.

Hang in there!!

Geoff
03-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Totally agree with you. DX 6 years ago and now seriously compromised muscle wise. I damaged my elbow lifting the groceries in from the car! I am trying to spend more time in the local pool to help improve the situation. Its best for me as its not weight bearing as i am still on pred and gained a lot of fat!! I am going to start some yoga as i believe it fits the bill.

woz
03-09-2014, 06:21 PM
Hi Stephen, I am having the same problem at the moment, my biceps, flexors in my arms ache most of the time I am at work, also other muscles and some joints. I am only new to this disease, ( fell ill December 2012, Diagnosed April 2013). I am lucky to get off cyclo July 2013 and pred in July-August 2013, currently on azathiaprine. I don't know if it was the Wegs or the drugs I was on, or maybe its the drug I am on now, maybe I will never now, but we have to make the best of what we have, not what we had, eat healthy, exercise within your limits, and most of all, be positive, every day we wake up is a good day.

Regards Woz......

vdub
03-09-2014, 07:14 PM
I'm quite the reverse. I have no difficulty picking up my 250 lb rv hitch from the fLoor and lifting into place on my pickup bed. Maybe the hGH I'm on has something to do with it. I take 20mg of mtx per week 20mg of hydrocortisone/day and 3mcg of hGH/day.

Debbie C
03-10-2014, 05:52 AM
vdub, I haven't heard of anyone else on here taking hgh,do you think it really helps the muscles and bones stay healthy ?

The back of my kness have been getting swollen and hurt and I don't know what started that all of a sudden ??

vdub
03-10-2014, 08:54 AM
vdub, I haven't heard of anyone else on here taking hgh,do you think it really helps the muscles and bones stay healthy?
There's probably only one other person on the forum (this is US people) who qualifies to take hGH. I'm not sure if it was requirement of my insurance or the feds, but in order to be prescribed hGH, I had to be missing 4 of the 7 (I believe it was was 7) pituitary functions. I am missing all functions, so it wasn't difficult to get it on my drug list. The stuff is expensive.

Does it work? Hard to tell. I am on so many drugs that it is very difficult to isolate one or two as to efficacy. However, I do think it is overrated by the Hollywood crowd -- it certainly doesn't seem to be any fountain of youth. I am aging just like anyone else - wrinkles and all. If it wasn't for the fatigue and pain caused by wegs, I would put it to the real test at the gym. With my steroid, testosterone, and hGH, I'd be certain to land a part in the next Schwarzenegger movie. So far no producers have called me. :-)

And, the drug is a bit limiting for me. It is the only drug I have that has to be refrigerated, so I have to consider ice packs when going on vacation or staying overnight with a friend. Imagine forgetting a $2k vile of drugs in the hotel refrigerator. Or how about carrying an ice pack on a 7 hr flight to Hawaii or even longer (way longer) to get to Melbourne? I do have a tiny, tiny 12v fridge (8x4x4 in), but it is a hassle, too. Lots of downsides....