PDA

View Full Version : Libraries: Your top research assistant!!

BookNut
03-05-2014, 07:32 AM
Recently someone posted asking about Wegener's books - or other research materials. Besides books, there are medical articles coming out every day. And a lot of it is not available for free on the web.

I replied to the post - and then decided it was worth posting a new thread in a place where,hopefully, more folks would run across it. It is a good way for me to pay it forward to everyone who has helped me on this forum.

So....Here are some suggestions from a tech-savvy retired school librarian:

1. Go to your public library. Be sure to ask for the help of the RESEARCH LIBRARIAN. Many folks think that everyone who works in a library is a certified trained librarian. Not so. The library assistants and clerks are knowledgeable and helpful and libraries cannot do without them. But the research experts are the actual librarians. Don't be afraid to ask for their help. In small libraries, you may find that they only work in the daytime. The evening hours might be staffed by clerks.

2. Take a look at World Cat. WorldCat.org: The World's Largest Library Catalog (http://www.worldcat.org)
This will tell you what libraries own which books (and other materials). Alas - the interlibrary loan system is not what it should be. Generally you are limited to borrowing only what is available from libraries in your region. Hopefully that will change one of these days. However - there are also links on World Cat to where to buy the books. And the fact that a book is in a library gives you some indication that it was probably well reviewed and deemed worth the price of purchase - at least at the time it was purchased. Many of the materials on Wegeners are available only at hospital and research libraries - but you never know. Some of the libraries might be located in your area, or in driving distance. If a book has only a chapter or two on your topic, a particularly helpful librarian will be willing to contact the librarian at the library that owns the book, and request a copy of the chapter. I have also contacted libraries outside of my region and requested copies as a "civilian" and had good luck. I ask to know the number of pages and I send them a donation based on how many pages I need.

3. Ask your local public librarian if they have access to research databases. They most likely do, and as a resident, you have the right to have the access information, including the passwords. These databases contain a wealth of scholarly research and excerpts from books. (see also #7)

4. Ask your local librarian if they could purchase the book you are interested in. They might be quite willing to do that. I know I would be as it is great PR for the library. They might be especially interested in purchasing the item if it is on a more general topic - such as auto-immune diseases in general.

5. If you live near a large city, call the library and ask for a research appointment with a librarian. They will be more than happy to help you. In large cities, librarians are often assigned corporations, and are "on call" to help them with their research needs.

6. Search Google Books. Google Books (http://books.google.com) Much can be read online and there are links to "find in a library" and also links to purchase the books. Even if only a preview is available - you can often read enough of the book to tell if it is going to be helpful to you.

7. Search Google Scholar. Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com) This will bring you many scholarly articles. Many can be printed in full. But many have to be ordered - usually pretty pricey. DO NOT pay for any of these articles until you have checked with your library. Your local library system most likely subscribes to online databases that will give you free (tax-payer paid) access to the articles. They will give you the web addresses and passwords needed to access them.

8. You could call your local high school and ask about their databases. Most librarians have never received such a request. They might be hesitant to give you the passwords. Ask them if they would check into it for you. When I was the librarian in a high school, I felt that the tax payers had a right to that information. I could not send it out publicly as the passwords have to be controlled so they are not given to everyone in the world. But, if you speak to the librarian privately and explain your need, most likely they will be able to help you. I suggest this because high schools often subscribe to more academic databases than do public libraries.

9. Call a local college or community college library. They may be willing for you to come in and do research. Technically, they should be limiting their database access to students and staff only. However - as long as a librarian is signing you into the databases and not actually giving you the passwords - many librarians might be willing to "bend the rules" a little bit.

10. Don't forget about Amazon. Many of the books advertised there have a "look inside this book" feature. You will be able to see the table of contents, the index and selected excerpts from the book. This can help you decide if the book is even readable without a medical degree!!:biggrin1:

Many people do not realize the extent of the services that are available to them via their libraries. Libraries are not just for books anymore - and good librarians know all sorts of tricks to help you out! Unfortunately, there are still some "old-timey" librarians out there who give the rest of us a bad name. Don't be put off. If you can't get good research help at your local branch library - go to another branch, or to another city or town in your region. You will find someone who will be excited to help you!

P.S. My Avatar is a picture of me taken in my library the last year before I retired. I was presiding over an "afternoon tea" that I threw for any of my students who wanted to drop in and celebrate the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Princess Kate. A grand time was had by all. Scones, tea, and raised pinkies. It doesn't get much better than that. And high school students still love to play thank goodness. I miss them so much!

mishb
03-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Wow, such extensive ways to see a book.

Fantastic information Jacquie - Thank you

Alysia
03-06-2014, 05:10 AM
WOW, thanks Jacquie, you are giving us from your professional knowledge :thumbup: