PDA

View Full Version : only RTX ? with no MTX ?

Alysia
03-03-2014, 05:14 AM
Hi,
since I am under the rtx, I have infections almost every month :crying:
my immune system is def too suppresed :mad1:
I talked to my wg-doc about that and he lowered my mtx from 15mg per week to 7.5mg per week. this change gave me bigger intervals between the infections. but I still have them.
I wonder: maybe I should better be off mtx ?
mtx never really helped me. after couple of months with it, and no improvement but more worsenning, I started rtx, our miracouls med.
my doc said that it is common to give rtx WITH mtx together.
Is there anyone here only on rtx ? or must we be on maintenance meds as well (mtx, imuran) ?
p.s. I am also on pred 5mg, but can't seperate from him :wub:
thanks.

KimH
03-03-2014, 09:08 AM
I am looking for links to the RAVE study. Is it already attached to a post on here? That is the protocol that Dr Lebovics and my rheumatologist are following. But we are all different so for where I am in the disease that is the path they have chosen for me. 4 weeks RTX then wean off of pred.

pwc51
03-03-2014, 10:08 AM
My rheumy insists on MTX after RTX. I am off the pred now but he thinks I will be on MTX for another 2 years. I hate it with a passion as it makes me feel ill for about 3 days every week.

JeanMarie
03-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I can't use MTX because of kidney problems and Imuran is another problem because of warfarin. So just RTX for me. I'm still on 5mg of pred though.

mmthomm
03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
My rheumatologist is a fan of combining MTX with RTX if it can be tolerated for the purpose of reducing the likelihood of developing antibodies to RTX...I'm still really new to this whole thing but thought I'd pass along his rationale for combining the two meds particularly while continuing the painfully slow taper on prednisone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alysia
03-04-2014, 05:15 AM
My rheumatologist is a fan of combining MTX with RTX if it can be tolerated for the purpose of reducing the likelihood of developing antibodies to RTX...I'm still really new to this whole thing but thought I'd pass along his rationale for combining the two meds particularly while continuing the painfully slow taper on prednisone.

my wg-doc said also something like that. about the combination of the 2 as more powerful. but then I still wonder if it not too powerful ? :confused1:

marylz
03-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I am on RTX only after 8 infusions of CTX. I don't think I can take MTX.

annekat
03-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I wish I knew more, Alysia.I, of course, am on MTX and no RTX. I find that the MTX has helped me, and at one point, increasing the dose got me out of a flare. But I think the question you ask is a reasonable one, and I wonder how much good the 7.5mg of MTX is actually doing.

carriej22
03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
No MTX for this bird. I take Imuran and haven't had RTX for nearly two years.

Alysia
03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
thanks Carrie. Imuran is the equivalent of mtx. but I couldnt bear it. I prefer being on rtx. less side effects and it is doing the job !

carriej22
03-07-2014, 05:23 AM
I didn't take anything while I was actually on RTX though. I finished RTX in July 2012 and started Imuran in October 2012. I didnt want to take RTX anymore than I had to because I'm a wimp and they wouldn't let me work the week I was getting it. They told me I could have RTX every 3-6 months but it requires 4+ hours of travelling, Eric to take the day off work to take me there since I wouldn't trust myself to drive home, and I'm useless for a few days. I prefer the Imuran, I take it before bed and I have had no major side effects. I hope someday I can be off that too!

Alysia
03-12-2014, 06:01 AM
thanks everyone. you helped me to think what next.
I sent an e-mail to my wg-doc today, asking to try and stop taking MTX, since I am already on RTX, and my immune system is too weak to overcome too many UTI. he agreed.
so, no more MTX, I hope ...

:hug3::hug3::hug3:

annekat
03-12-2014, 06:08 AM
You said he agreed, so I guess that means you can stop! Great news, and I hope it goes well!:thumbup:

renidrag
03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Just before I went into remission, I was still on cyclo but no pred I could not tolerate Imuran. Dr. Stone at the time asked how I felt about going off cyclo altogether and see what happens. Well, nothing happened. Has any one else just stopped a med like cyclo, mtx or rtx "just to see what happens"? I swear one of these times I am not going back th fix my typos. It takes so long to get it right.
Dale

KimH
03-12-2014, 11:10 AM
That is such good news. I hope the RTX is working its magic on you and now you can avoid putting another powerful drug in your body. Now your body can regain the ability to fight off the infections without the double whammy.

Wegetarian
03-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Interesting. I hope everything goes well. I know others in our FB group has wondered the same thing, do they really need three immuno-suppresants (like MTX, RTX and pred).

I'm just on MTX and Pred (and this nasal-cortisone thingy), and luckily I don't notice any effects from the MTX even though I used to feel slightly nauseous for a few days when I started it. The only med I notice is actually the nasal spray, as it opens up my nose immediately and makes me feel more energetic (which I especially noticed when I started taking it just before bedtime to be able to breath better, but couldn't sleep for hours).