PDA

View Full Version : HIGH CHOLESTEROL: Any hints on lowering naturally?

Rose
03-01-2014, 09:29 PM
HI all

In October last year my Cholesterol levels came back as high. My Nephrologist prescribed a very high dose of a cholesterol lowering drug. I had a bad response to Simvastatin back in 2010. My creatinine was rising rapidly concerning my doctors and I was also complaining of muscle pain in my thighs which was getting progressively worse. Eventually the doctors clicked that it was the Simvastatin and within a week of stopping my creatinine levels dropped and the muscle pain went. So I decided not to take the drug in October and instead to try diet alone. I have been very good eating my oats every morning, no sugar and was for a few months gluten free. I still eat very little gluten and must say I feel much better for it. I have also lost about 6 pounds.
Yesterday I got the results of a repeat test for cholesterol levels...they remain unchanged!!!! :sad:

What to do? Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks

Rose

pberggren1
03-01-2014, 09:44 PM
Stick to fresh veggies and fruits. Stay to lean meats and lower portions. Stay away from sugars and processed foods. Ground flax is a great source of fiber as well.

Alysia
03-01-2014, 10:32 PM
I know that taking Omega3 capsules can help.

renidrag
03-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Too bad you can't do Simvistatin, it has worked for me for quite a while. Is it all statins the you can't take?
Dale

windchime
03-01-2014, 11:48 PM
What to do? Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks

Rose

I had similar problems with pravastatin only I had muscle weakness and pain. Red Rice Yeast supplement helped me to lower mine, but then the muscle pain came back. Now I take 4800 mg of Fish Oil and I have no problems with overall cholesterol levels (4 1200 mg caps). I usually get them at the drug store when they have the buy one, get one just to save money.

MikeG-2012
03-01-2014, 11:48 PM
There are several other statin drugs that do not have the leg issues that simvistatin has. I've been on Pravastatin and it has worked wonders for my cholesterol for the past 5-6 years. No side effects at all.

Previously, I had tried fish oil and a couple other natural products, but none worked for me.

BookNut
03-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Trying out the Tapatalk app. Hope it works. Be sure to pay attention to the breakdown of cholesterol. You want higher levels of the good cholesterol, which might end up in keeping your levels elevated, but lower the danger. also check on your triglycerides. if you research the LCHF ( low carb, high fat) diets you should find more information.

Check out this link:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/dr-oz-changes-his-mind-on-cholesterol

Cholesterol is not seen as quite the threat it once was. If you read the books Wheat Belly and Grain Brain, you will see that many doctors and scientists view the low fat movement as one of the underlying causes of the uptick in obesity and alzheimers. Mainly because of added sugars and carbs. I went the gluten free route until i read those books and realized that even the gluten free grains have been messed with genetically. i have cut most grains out of my diet and substituted healthy fats instead. I will let you know how it goes with my cholesterol. i am doing this as per my PCP's recommendation. I was never able to lose weight before without exercise. I have been unable to exercise for a year now because of extreme asthma problems, so i was frustrated seeing my weight go up no matter what i did. I did the LCHF as per her directions and lost 9 pounds over 3 months.....a minor miracle for me. I am anxious to find out the effect on my choleterol. Bad cholesterol was high, and the good was on the low side before I tried the diet. Triglycerides were also up. so...we will see what happens, I will say that, surprisingly, my occasional gallstone pain has gone away in spite of a diet filled with half and half, heavy cream, and full fat yogurt. The yogurt is hard to find....but so worth it in taste. Luckily, my local grocery carries Fage Total Greek Yogurt, as well as the reduced fat versions. If i eat the reduced fat kind, i could easily gobble down massive quantities. The full fat version fills me up with about 3/4 cups.

Good luck with this. You might want to research the Rodale website. They are dedicated to natural, non-gmo foods as well as other natural health topics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rose
03-02-2014, 08:54 AM
Thanks Booknut for this great info.

I have been aware of the controversy over the use of statins for a while now. Dr Mercola has stated the same in his articles on statins as these cardiologists on the video...... as has a few homeopaths I have consulted over the years and it all makes a lot of sense to me. I am going to look into diet more and try and reduce the inflammation in my body. I have been adding turmeric, cinnamon and ginger to my oats each morning since October and although my Cholesterol is high, my CRP is under 5 and my ESR is around 10...all within normal limits and these numbers I have not seen since diagnosis.

Although my total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL are high, my HDL is high normal which supposedly is good. The Nephrologist prescribed Lescol 80mg which is a very high dose and apparently this particular drug has the potential to interact with some of the drugs I am on. I am sure with my sensitive liver and lowered kidney function, should I take it I am going to suffer from one if not more of the many side effects. And then you are thinking when you develop a pain, numbness or whatever........is it a flare causing this, the other medicines or is it the statins?. By the time you have found the culprit you have had more doctors visits and more tests and more stress and more bills.

Think I will continue with the oats, turmeric etc, add fish oil, increase vegetable intake and lower protein and also exercise a bit more and see how it goes.

Thanks to all for their tips

Rose

I will get my son to download the Tapatalk app for me the next time I see him.

Debbie C
03-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Good luck Rose...mine is also high. My dr. wanted to put me on crestor and I told him to give me 6 months and I will watch what I eat and excerise more. Will I have and it is still high but my ldl is high which the kidney dr. says it kinda even things out. My mother who eats anything plus a ton of salt ( which I don't use ) has perfect chlorestoral,I can't figure it out,they say it's in your genes ( I must have my fathers) ????? Let me know if you find something that works. I also eat oatmeal with cinnamon and a bowl of frozen fruit in the morning and try to eat more salmon and fish......I don't know:confused:

ingemlb
03-02-2014, 02:33 PM
from what I have heard the culprit is not cholesterol but inflammation which causes all the plaque in the arteries. And I guess we all have heaps of inflammation to deal with :( But yes... LOTS of controversy over statins.

mishb
03-02-2014, 06:16 PM
I use a margarine/spread that is made from plant sterols. My cholesterol was about 5.9 which wasn't high enough to start medication but was high.
It is now 4.5

Also Omega 3 fish oil supplements as well as the oats and other fresh fruit and vegies as mentioned above.