PDA

View Full Version : Harold Ramis

vic flange
02-25-2014, 05:49 AM
He sadly passed away today from what was described an autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis. Now I must admit that worried me it sounds very much like what Wegeners is. Ok, he was 69 but that's not considered old these days is it?

Hi again by the way.

pberggren1
02-25-2014, 05:52 AM
Oh no, was he a member here?

annekat
02-25-2014, 05:56 AM
He sadly passed away today from what was described an autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis. Now I must admit that worried me it sounds very much like what Wegeners is. Ok, he was 69 but that's not considered old these days is it?

Hi again by the way. Here is the write-up from his hometown of Chicago. Harold Ramis dead at 69 - chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-harold-ramis-dead-20140224,0,2259309.story) A Hollywood personality but apparently not an overly flamboyant one. The article doesn't mention what kind of vasculitis he had, but it could be Wegs.

pberggren1
02-25-2014, 06:04 AM
Okay, the guy from Ghostbusters. I wonder if it was Wegs. So sad.

Pete
02-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Ok, he was 69 but that's not considered old these days is it?

I hope 69 isn't considered old. I'm 67, and so far, so good. :D

Dirty Don
02-25-2014, 07:16 AM
Okay, the guy from Ghostbusters. I wonder if it was Wegs. So sad.

Guess I won't call Ghostbusters anymore, dang.

Debbie C
02-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Just read the obit,Anne, he did alot of good movies.It would be interesting to know if it was wg.And Vic and Pete ---69 is not old,I remember when I was a kid it was BUT not now !!!!!

mishb
02-25-2014, 07:42 AM
I just read that it was Lymphangitis - swelling of the lymphatic system.

HopeinTN
02-25-2014, 07:45 AM
I just read this too. So sad. And very curious about it.

annekat
02-25-2014, 09:18 AM
I just read that it was Lymphangitis - swelling of the lymphatic system. Hmm.... is that a form of vasculitis?

renidrag
02-25-2014, 09:41 AM
auto-immune inflammatory vasculitis, causing swelling of the blood vessels, is what Anne's link read. Sounds like WG to me, he was diagnosed in 2010 and then flared in 2011, I think it said.
Dale

annekat
02-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Anyone can google lymphangitis and draw their own conclusions.... I'm not convinced that it is a form of auto-immune vasculitis but seems to be more of a swelling of the lymph nodes caused by an infection. I can see it as a fatal complication of having vasculitis. I have no doubt that since this guy had been sick for a few years with some type of vasculitis, he easily could have had WG. But as usual, the articles that are written do not give the whole picture of what really happened. Even if the reporters were given correct information, they could easily have shortened it or failed to comprehend it well enough to accurately write about it.

annekat
02-25-2014, 11:56 AM
I just read that it was Lymphangitis - swelling of the lymphatic system. Just to clarify, yes, I also saw a link saying he died of Lymphangitis. Then the link may have gone on to say this was a form of swollen blood vessels in the lymph, and I'm not sure if they were trying to call it a form of vasculitis. I read some different items and may be confused. But a search indicates lymphangitis is more of an infection or a result of one. So he could have had WG or other vasculitis and also lymphangitis as a fatal complication. The articles I saw were on Facebook and I had trouble finding them again.

vdub
02-25-2014, 12:27 PM
I had the same thought as many of you ref gpa. Too bad, to young, and so much talent. He wrote one of all time favorite movies; Animal House.

julia
02-26-2014, 12:38 AM
One article quoted Drl Peter Merkel. The article did say it started with an infection.
A

Dirty Don
02-26-2014, 02:28 AM
One article quoted Drl Peter Merkel. The article did say it started with an infection.
A

Infections are what I fear most...that's what took Al and some others...we can't fight a major infection very well as it comes on too quickly or it's been in us too long...reaching for cup of coffee...just another ode to Al...sighs...

Alysia
02-26-2014, 03:11 AM
Infections are what I fear most...that's what took Al and some others...we can't fight a major infection very well as it comes on too quickly or it's been in us too long...reaching for cup of coffee...just another ode to Al...sighs...
too sad :crying:

annekat
02-26-2014, 03:11 AM
Infections are what I fear most...that's what took Al and some others...we can't fight a major infection very well as it comes on too quickly or it's been in us too long...reaching for cup of coffee...just another ode to Al...sighs... And Lightwarrior, too..... I think of them both and don't know what to do to keep the same thing from happening to me, or any of us.

Alysia
02-26-2014, 03:14 AM
And Lightwarrior, too..... I think of them both and don't know what to do to keep the same thing from happening to me, or any of us.
this is what I was crying about 2 days ago... and from time to time :crying:
I wish I could do something ...:sad: too scary :scared:

annekat
02-26-2014, 03:34 AM
Alysia, I guess all we can do is try to live well, eat well, exercise, pay attention to our bodies, and make sure we are getting good treatment. The number of us that this happens to appears to be quite small. That does not mean we should ignore it, of course. We just need to get up each day and do the best we can.:hug2:

mishb
02-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Alysia, I guess all we can do is try to live well, eat well, exercise, pay attention to our bodies, and make sure we are getting good treatment. The number of us that this happens to appears to be quite small. That does not mean we should ignore it, of course. We just need to get up each day and do the best we can.:hug2:

The alternative is to wrap ourselves in cottonwool and bubblewrap and not venture outside your door :crying:

I will stick with your plan Anne :thumbup:

drz
02-26-2014, 08:58 AM
too sad :crying:

Infections are biggest issue, then strokes or heart attacks, kidney failure, pneumonia are next biggest causes of fatalities for us.

Dirty Don
02-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Infections are biggest issue, then strokes or heart attacks, kidney failure, pneumonia are next biggest causes of fatalities for us.

Such a laundry list...

pberggren1
02-26-2014, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the reminder don. Gotta get the sheets changed.....lol

mishb
02-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Such a laundry list...

I'm fine then - I don't do laundry :flapper:

freakyschizogirl
03-04-2014, 12:46 AM
My mum does my laundry!

I'm sure Dr Jayne would be happy for the press coverage. He said to me at one of my appointments that just getting the word Vasculitis out there was important to make people aware. Cant get better awareness than that. And kinda apt it happened around rare disease day.