PDA

View Full Version : Do You Take A Diuretic?

TOBEY32
02-19-2014, 01:20 PM
This is in order to counter any water-weight gain (may have asked this before).
Saw my kidney doc recently and totally forgot to ask him, although he has told me in the past to not take one - never asked why though.

He has reduced my pred to 5mg and my Imuran to 25mg. I will go for lab in 3 mos to see if readings are still okay. Sort of hate waiting that long.

Hope everyone is good.

David

mishb
02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
I guess I sort of do, via my blood pressure tablets. :unsure:

I don't intentionally take a straight out diuretic but I presume it is inside my pb tablet because I am only taking my tablet for my kidneys

Alysia
02-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Hi David,
allways nice to see you around :love:
I don't have an answer to your question since I don't have kidney's involvement.
I just wanted to say couple of things: don't eat food with salt. take craneberries in capsules, it helps. do your labs once a month. 3 months sounds too long, especially if you are reducing your meds now.
and... come here more often. :hug2:

JeanMarie
02-20-2014, 08:23 AM
I take Lasix for blood pressure & I've never lost weight on it :sad:

Pete
02-21-2014, 01:26 AM
For about a year after I was diagnosed, I was taking three BP meds: HCTZ (a diuretic), enalapril, and toprol xl. When I had a flare/pneumonia/bad reaction to immuran about a year after dx, my BP was very low (60/40), which probably helped explain the crushing fatigue. My PCP suggested reducing BP meds to raise my BP. Over the course of the next year, got off all BP meds. BP is now pretty normal at 125/75. Continue taking Flomax for urinary symptoms (reduces urgency and frequency for me).

TOBEY32
02-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Why is everyone relating blood pressure meds w/ diuretics - is it the bp med that causes water-weight gain? Sounds like for some that a diuretic is "built in" to their bp med?? Don't understand how it works. Gonna phone my doc's nurse and ask her to relay this question to him...

mishb
02-21-2014, 08:35 AM
From what I understand is that high blood pressure is very dangerous for the kidneys and therefore, in some bp medications, a diuretic is built in to prevent kidney damage.

windchime
02-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Why is everyone relating blood pressure meds w/ diuretics - is it the bp med that causes water-weight gain? Sounds like for some that a diuretic is "built in" to their bp med?? Don't understand how it works. Gonna phone my doc's nurse and ask her to relay this question to him...

Tobey some blood pressure meds have a diuretic with them. The diuretic helps the blood pressure med to work more effectively by removing some of the excess fluid from the body. Not all blood pressure meds have a diuretic. Unless you have a medical need for a diuretic I doubt your doctor will prescribe one as they can be hard on the kidneys.

Allisonquast
02-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Hubby was just prescribed a diuretic due to excess fluid building up, his eyes especially. I'll let you know if it helps.