PDA

View Full Version : Ear and drainage question?

Yvonnea
02-15-2014, 01:42 AM
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before...have done an "ear" search but couldn't find any info. on the issues I have been having...so apologies if been asked and answered before.

WG damaged my left ear and I lost about 30 percent of my conductive hearing. The right ear was perfect, so just got on with it.
Had tinnitus too, but again, not much can be done for that. About 4 months ago, the hearing in my right ear started to be affected. Tinnitus too occurred in this ear.
Went to ENT. Said it was due to fluid build up behind the eardrum and drained the right ear there and then in the office, and the ear was back to near perfect in a couple of days.
So went back and asked them to do left one (for some reason they don't do two ears at the same time), Well that was a full week ago and my ear is still leaking some time of clear sticky fluid. When I am standing it sounds like waves crashing and when I am trying to go asleep, like someone banging a drum.
Rang ENT Doc, but he away and earliest appointment is the 7th of March.
I am meant to be in remission (just on the smallest dose of prednisone and imuran).
Just wondering should I be worried. No real pain, but have had a headache in the back of my head which I never got before.
Just wondering if anyone else got this procedure before and what were the outcome.

Thanks
Yvonne

drz
02-15-2014, 04:44 AM
Any ENT doctor and most ER doctors could drain your middle ear if you have fluid buildup that is causing pain. Other wise it can rupture and drain itself. Some times a fluid buildup is caused by infection and then an antibiotic will help clear it up.

Alysia
02-15-2014, 05:05 AM
I had a lot of problems of fluids in my ears. only pred helped me. about 30mg for couple of days and then reduction with the pred. I found it better then any procedure that the ENT suggested.
btw - even if you are in remission, having new ears' problems, means, I thinks, that it is time to do labs and consult with your wg-doc.

AC2
02-15-2014, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I definitely agree with Alysia, I think you should consult your WG dr & get them to do a blood test.

My WG was diagnosed due to ear problems, I can't always remember all the details, but I suffered from numerous ear infections within a couple of months. I went totally deaf at one point, but regained hearing in my right ear to about 90-95% when my diagnosis was made & treatment started. I have no hearing in my left ear & haven't done for about 9.5 years now.
Pre-diagnosis I had my ears syringed a couple of times and just before diagnosis I had an op to have grommits put in. I awoke from surgery and still couldn't hear, it was a scary time.

So anyway, all I suggest is, any problem with your ears, get yourself checked out.