PDA

View Full Version : Missing: Lung Lesion!

MikeG-2012
02-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Was just at my rheumatologist today for a regularly scheduled appointment. I have been worried since Monday because I have been feeling run down and yesterday I started coughing up some mucus flecks. When I told the doc this, he ordered a chest X-ray to be sure it wasn't pneumonia, or anything else happening in my lungs. Instead of bad news, we saw, or didn't see, that one of the large lesions is MISSING!! Yep, it is gone from view on the X-ray! GREAT NEWS! I thought before I caught this cold that my breathing was starting to feel better. I guess I now know why! He did prescribe a mucus buster med for the nebulizer that I will pick up at the pharmacy tomorrow. I hope that takes care of this cold/mucus problem.

So some surprising good news today! YIPEE!

Debbie C
02-13-2014, 02:15 PM
Great news Mike !!!:hug3:

pberggren1
02-13-2014, 04:01 PM
Mike, let us know what this mucus buster is. I am curious.

mishb
02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
Yay Mike,

......and there is another reason for a Happy Dance - I'm going to get fit in no time :hug3::lol::lol::hug3: (mixing it up a little)

So, how does one go about missing a large lesion in his lung? Did you cough up bits at one stage, or does it just dissolve??

renidrag
02-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Dancing is good, I bet Andrew will lift his beer in a toast to Mike. Went downstairs yesterday and finally had good news for Debbie regarding my Weggie friends. Way to go Mike and Lilly.
Dale

Jennie
02-14-2014, 04:27 AM
Amazing News!! So happy for you!

Jennie

MikeG-2012
02-14-2014, 04:47 AM
Mike, let us know what this mucus buster is. I am curious.

Acetylcysteine is what he prescribed Phil. Looking at the quick description at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine) it sounds like it might be of benefit to you, if you haven't been on it and/or tried it already.

I hope it works to break up some of this. I'm not coughing up all that much today. Feels like the stuff is pretty solidified in the lungs today.Or, it is just getting better and there's not a whole lot to come up anymore.

MikeG-2012
02-14-2014, 05:25 AM
Forgot to mention too that blood work looked pretty good, so I'm starting a SLOW taper off the Prednisone. Tomorrow, down to 15MG!!

Alysia
02-14-2014, 06:19 AM
Acetylcysteine is what he prescribed Phil. Looking at the quick description at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine) it sounds like it might be of benefit to you, if you haven't been on it and/or tried it already.

PHIL, it is exaclty the same med I told you about it yesterday on fb :thumbup:

???? 200 ?"? ?????? ?????? - ?????? ?????? - BeOK (http://www.beok.co.il/Drugs/Drug-2109/%D7%A1%D7%99%D7%A8%D7%9F+200+%D7%9E%D7%92+%D7%98%D 7%91%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%95%D7%AA+%D7%AA%D7%95%D7%A1%D7 %A1%D7%95%D7%AA)

http://www.old.health.gov.il/units/pharmacy/trufot/alonim/Siran_pt_internet_alon_lezarhan_1261641505258.pdf

Acetylcysteine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcysteine)

I just heard about that med too. intersting.
nice to see another good feedback about it.
ask your ENT. good luck and please share how it works.

pberggren1
02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
I will have to ask my docs about this one.

MikeG-2012
02-14-2014, 01:02 PM
I will have to ask my docs about this one.

I tried it for the first time tonight. It comes in glass vials and I had to measure out the 4ml of liquid. Refrigerate after opening on this med. I did notice that it is FAST to nebulize, and almost pools in the mouth if you don't keep up on the inhilations. I did cough up some limited little flecks, but don't know if its the med working or just the mist at thsi point. I'll keep you in the loop on how it works.

annekat
02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
Someone just told me about NAC as a mucus thinner recently, too. I had read about it before, too. There is a lot of info on it to be seen by googling N-Acetyl-Cysteine. It is apparently good for a lot of things. It appears to available over the counter in pill form, too, in vitamin and supplement sections of stores or online. There were dosage suggestions and some precautions, such as not taking it with nitroglycerine. The dosage range I saw for the pills was 600-1800mg. per day, I think.

Congrats, Mike, on losing your lesion!

MikeG-2012
02-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Someone just told me about NAC as a mucus thinner recently, too. I had read about it before, too. There is a lot of info on it to be seen by googling N-Acetyl-Cysteine. It is apparently good for a lot of things. It appears to available over the counter in pill form, too, in vitamin and supplement sections of stores or online. There were dosage suggestions and some precautions, such as not taking it with nitroglycerine. The dosage range I saw for the pills was 600-1800mg. per day, I think.

Congrats, Mike, on losing your lesion!

This med was/is used for Tylenol overdose patients too. My dose age is 4ml in nebulizer two times a day for the Rx liquid form. After using twice, it seems to be breaking up the mucus. I know that because I was up half the night coughing up small mucus plugs. Thy we're not coming up on their own before.

Have a a good weekend everyone!

annekat
02-15-2014, 02:38 AM
Sounds good, Mike. I, too, get tired of coughing up those thick bits of mucus. I worry about the effect on my bronchial tubes over time, with scar tissue from all the coughing. Lately, it doesn't interrupt my sleep, but when I wake up in the morning, a lot has collected in there and I need to cough. During the day, I may have periods of no coughing, but all kinds of things such as cold air or food, or even talking to someone, can set it off. In the evening it gets worse as I get more tired. I just don't like knowing that that stuff is in there whether I'm coughing or not. I don't use a nebulizer, but perhaps will get ahold of some of the pills. I'm glad it seems to be helping you.

Alysia
02-15-2014, 04:15 AM
I heard about this med, taken as tablets, dissolving in water, then you have to drink it, and then a bit later, it makes the mocous more fluid and easy to cough out.

LindseyRN
02-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Such great news! So glad to read this!!:biggrin1:

I am quite familiar with this medication. When I worked in ICU, I used to give it to my patients who OD'd on Tylenol (just as you mentioned) as well as my respiratory patients. Great drug.

Doesn't it have the most lovely scent? :laugh: As long as it works, right? :wink1:

MikeG-2012
02-15-2014, 03:18 PM
Such great news! So glad to read this!!:biggrin1:

I am quite familiar with this medication. When I worked in ICU, I used to give it to my patients who OD'd on Tylenol (just as you mentioned) as well as my respiratory patients. Great drug.

Doesn't it have the most lovely scent? :laugh: As long as it works, right? :wink1:

I guess one good thing about having such bad sinus issues is that I can't smell this medication, huh? I am hoping that it will work enough to finally get some of these stubborn mucus plugs to loosen up and come out. I'm really getting tired of wheezing and coughing.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!!