PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Xolair?

BookNut
02-06-2014, 01:46 PM
My allergist prescribed using a mask to inhale Pulmicort. It stopped the continuous flow of mucus...but it ended up with all the gunk getting stuck in my sinuses. Next thing i knew, I was SOB yet again! Since Thanksgiving, I have been virtually useless for all but about 2 weeks. Grrrrr! To place a cherry on top, my ENT prescribed Bactrin antibiotic. It worked well when I took it in Sept. with no apparent side-effects, other than a bad rash on the last day when I spent some time (covered up) kayaking on a sunny day. The rash was diagnosed as a sun sensitivity. Well...here I am in the middle of a polar vortex, stuck inside away from the sun. I take ONE bactrin and break out in a "sun rash" all over my body! So...guess i am definitely allergic to that drug. My face (and whole body) look like a ripe tomato!!!

I've contacted my doctor of course, and her next suggestion is Xolair. The side effects scare me.....a never ending danger of anaphylactic shock, not to mention hair loss is really scaring me off. Also of concern are the hours spent in observation at the doctor's office at the beginning of treatment (2 hours for the first few injections, 1 hour for several subsequent visits).

I wonder if any of you have experience with this drug? Right now I am doubtful about trying it. i think I would rather try the old standby of theophylline first. Any input would be much appreciated!

Debbie C
02-06-2014, 01:51 PM
I never heard of either but it doesn't sound good to me also. Good luck and sorry to hear you have been ill so long. I hope something will work for you without the side effects.

BookNut
02-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks! I love the picture of you on the motorcycle. It made me think of a recent news piece here in the Polar Vortex. We had a brief respite from the snow and extreme cold...and several folks took their motorcycles out for a spin around a frozen bay on Lake Ontario!

mishb
02-06-2014, 08:11 PM
Gosh Jacquie, that's crazy.

This Xolair sounds like something to steer clear of........but can you afford to?
If this is your doctors last resort, what else is there?

I sure hope something starts working for you - soon

Alysia
02-07-2014, 02:12 AM
Hi Jacquie,
I don't anything about it, I am just happy to hear from you :hug1:
as for the side effects, sounds similar to our mtx maybe.... there are some meds that I take without reading their papers :blink: otherwise I will be too frightened, and I don't have a choice.... but it seems that you have a choice ? do you ?
I hope you will feel better soon, this way or another, hugs to you and stay warm.
and of course, come to visit.

annekat
02-07-2014, 08:01 AM
You were prescribed Bactrim, a sulfa based antibiotic, which you are apparently allergic to. My ENT always asked me if I was allergic to sulfa drugs before prescribing Bactrim for sinus infections. So, you will stop the Bactrim, but can you not replace it with another antibiotic that is not sulfa based? I think most of them aren't. I know nothing about Xolair, but might look it up out of curiosity. It does sound scary, from what you said.