PDA

View Full Version : ALOE -----Anyone ??

Debbie C
02-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I saw an ad in Sunday's paper about drinking 2 oz's of Aloe in the a.m. and p.m. to help aid in digestion issues like acid reflux and gerd along with other stomach issues caused my medicine. It was from a dr. that was on the Dr. Oz show. It's call Aloecure. I wondered if anyone has ever tried it? I remember Sangye talking about using Aloe before but I don't know if it is the same stuff.They try to sell to a 60 day supply but I got it down to 2 weeks but it was still $ 30.00 w/shipping, Expensive !! but there is a oney back guarnetee so I thought I would try it since I am always having stomach issues. Just wondering if anyone else every try it ????

pberggren1
02-04-2014, 04:42 PM
I remember Sangye talking about Aloe but not sure what she said about it. I know she took it in some form or other, just not sure what.

annekat
02-04-2014, 08:06 PM
I know that aloe vera is a good, healing plant. It works very well on burns, especially if you use it right away. In fact, I just did that tonight, I burned my finger and took a leaf from an aloe vera I'm growing in the window, squeezed out some of the gel and smeared it on. In warmer months, or in warmer places, they can be grown outside. In pots is easiest so you can move them around. They like sun but can get burned and can tolerate some shade. They are a desert plant but if haven't started their life there would be shocked by that much heat. Anyway, I think drinking the gel would be a good thing. I'm not sure that you have to pay that much for it. I'd shop around. In a commercial product, I think the gel would be processed to be smooth and not lumpy and maybe with some water added. You could do that yourself if you had enough plants. They aren't hard to find in nurseries. But otherwise, I know I bought a large bottle of it once for not very much, though it was a long time ago. I'd shop around.

annekat
02-04-2014, 08:17 PM
aloe vera juice - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=aloe+vera+juice&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8) Check out the Walmart one, a gallon is cheap. I'm not crazy about WalMart, but would go there for that. Other possibilities on the page, too.

aloe vera gel - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=aloe+vera+gel&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

I think the juice and the gel are basically the same thing. But the gel may need to be processed/thinned to make it drinkable. Something on these links told me I'm wrong, that aloe vera is not a naturally occurring desert plant, but only grown in cultivation. Maybe there are other kinds of aloes in the desert that could have similar qualities. Maybe our desert dweller, Don, could shed some light.

mishb
02-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Aloe juice is only good for you if you need help in the "pooping" area :sad:

Some one in our Oz group drank Aloe juice for a couple of mornings because his daughter is a personal trainer and told him that it was good for his health.
She forget to mention that it was to used to "keep you regular" or to help with severe constipation.

Unfortunately he suffered terrible stomach cramps and diahorrea for many days.
He was actually so sick that it I reckon it was probably the beginning of his latest flare.

Just remember, if you ever want to start a new supplement, or get healthy quick food, please google it first to see what it actually does and also to see if it interracts with any medications that you are currently taking.
Please don't take the word of a friend, or in his case, a daughter - that it is good for you.

annekat
02-05-2014, 02:48 AM
I haven't tried it, really, so can't comment. But I wonder if the amount could be a factor. Deb mentions drinking 2 oz. a day, which doesn't sound like a lot. In any case, if one is going to try it, one can get it cheaper than Deb's source, although I don't know to what extent quality or purity would be a factor there.

I do know from personal experience that aloe vera is good for burns and skin issues. That is the only way I have used it, and at this point would agree that drinking it should be done in great moderation and with caution. If Sangye was here, I wonder what she would say.

Debbie C
02-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Anne, I had huge aloe vera plants in Fl. they even had white flowered stems on them. I also had some here but they died. I used to break them open and use them often for burns also. I also have a bottle of aloe vera but it is so thick , I don't think you are supposed to drink that stuff. Michelle you were right , I should have checked it out before I ordered it, all I need is to spend half my time in the bathroom !!!! But the ad said it was more for acid reflex and bloating. I just remember Sangye talking about it before so when I saw it I thought it would be good. ( I miss her ) Well I may try it once..I can always get my money back !! While typing this ..I did a google search and it had mixed reviews. BUT the Better Business Burea doesn't back it,so I am going to call and cancel tommorrow and see what happens. Live and learn !!!

annekat
02-05-2014, 03:56 PM
As for using it for burns, last night I got a dime-sized burn on the side of my finger while tending the fire in the wood stove, and it was painful and red with a whitish blistered area. I wouldn't call it a severe burn, but it did hurt. I put some aloe vera on it right away, from one of my plants, and then placed a bandaid over it. When I removed the bandaid, the burn was obviously well on its way to healing. Now it is just pinkish with barely a trace of the blister in the middle, and it doesn't hurt at all. I barely notice that it is there, and only needed to apply the aloe once.

annekat
02-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Deb, I'd look for a cheaper brand of it. Aloe vera is aloe vera. You shouldn't have to pay that much for it, I don't think. But do whatever is easiest for you. Just a suggestion.

Debbie C
02-06-2014, 07:15 AM
Anne, I called and cancelled it this morning,I figured they would give me a hassle but no problem. You were right when I googled it,it also showed they have it at Walmarts if I should ever decide to get it. Thanks !
Glad your burn is better,it is good stuff.

annekat
02-06-2014, 03:10 PM
I still wouldn't give up on drinking it, but would be very careful with the amount, because of what Michelle said. Perhaps I'll PM Sangye on Twitter about it. Or I'm sure she wouldn't mind a forum PM from you. I think the Walmart stuff was something like $4.99 for a gallon! i would just check the label and make sure it is nothing but pure aloe vera juice. At that price, it may be thinned or something, which might not necessarily be bad, though. And I think for burns it needs to be the thicker, less drinkable gel.

Ruotsi1
02-06-2014, 06:09 PM
I drank 4 oz 2 tomes a day when I was first diagnosed to help with mouth sores. I had to mix it with juice to get it down, but it worked great!!! I bought a gallon from Trader Joes for about $10. I would definitely drink it again if needed.

annekat
02-07-2014, 01:36 AM
I drank 4 oz 2 tomes a day when I was first diagnosed to help with mouth sores. I had to mix it with juice to get it down, but it worked great!!! I bought a gallon from Trader Joes for about $10. I would definitely drink it again if needed. Thanks for that, Ruotsi1. I guess you would have said if it gave you "the runs", as was implied above. I have made that mistake with prune juice, which I was drinking because I liked the flavor. I think trying any new plant substance should be done with caution, as we all have different systems and sensitivites. It worked for you with no problems, and I'm glad you shared. BTW, I would probably trust Trader Joes more than Walmart to have a quality product, even though the price is higher. I still think $10 for a gallon is a good price.

Debbie C
02-07-2014, 03:04 AM
Anne,you like the taste of prune juice:huh:
Thanks for your input Ruotsi1...the stuff I was going to get is called Aloecure ,I don't know if it is different Aloe vera juice ??? But I am still going to wait,don't need the side effects Michelle mentioned.

annekat
02-07-2014, 05:35 AM
Anne,you like the taste of prune juice:huh:
Thanks for your input Ruotsi1...the stuff I was going to get is called Aloecure ,I don't know if it is different Aloe vera juice ??? But I am still going to wait,don't need the side effects Michelle mentioned.Deb, I suspect that Aloecure is a bit of a scam, though I haven't seen the ads, but because it claims to be something special, and therefore charges a high price, when simple aloe vera juice is available for much less. I would not hesitate to try the less expensive brands, but just in very small amounts until you know how you react to it.

When I drank prune juice, it was because I found some on sale and decided to try it. I knew about the laxative qualities, and didn't need it for that. I just drank some to see how it tasted; after all, it comes from plums or prunes originally, and those taste OK, so why wouldn't prune juice taste OK? I thought it tasted fine. But I drank too much of it, like maybe a cup, and it had the laxative effect that I didn't want. I don't think I have bought it since then. But I could see using it in small amounts to flavor other things such as drinks or sauces. Or if I someday need a laxative. I would not be afraid to try a little aloe vera juice but would take it very easy.

mishb
02-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Below is from an Australian pharmaceutical site.

Definition

Aloe vera juice is obtained by extracting the fresh mucilaginous gel from the centre of the cut leaves of the Aloe vera plant.

Description

Aloe vera juice appears as a clear liquid similar in appearance to water.
The Juice is prepared from aloe gel which is usually freeze dried and diluted before taking internally.
Aloe herb known for its soothing effects can be used externally and internally.
Some of the external indications include wound healing, burn and sunburn relief, abrasions, cold sores, insect bites, boils and pimples.

The fresh untreated gel from the Aloe vera plant has a very bitter taste. There are, however, a range of Aloe vera juices available that have had the bitter principle removed.

Medical Use

Aloe vera juice is suggested internally for problems of digestion and poor blood circulation. It can also be helpful against infections, varicose veins and arthritis.

This rich nutrient gel has a soothing effect on the gut. Aloe vera juice can be used as a natural remedy in the treatment of stomach ulcer and mouth ulcers.
The soothing effect can relieve constipation. Aloe vera juice not only has a healing effect, but if constipation or diarrhoea is present, it can return the stools to normal. It takes a few weeks to cleanse the colon, but regular periodic use may help keep the colon clean.

As with any substance, it is possible to develop an intolerance to aloe vera juice so this treatment should not be used on an ongoing basis. Aloe vera may also be helpful in reducing the severity of colitis (inflammation of the colon).

Notes

NOT to be taken by women during pregnancy or while breastfeeding as Aloe vera may cause uterine contractions which could induce labour. A woman taking Aloe vera whilst breastfeeding can pass it onto her child as it is excreted into breast milk. The aloe may be too harsh on the immature digestive system of the infant which can result in nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

I guess it would take a while to get used to the taste :razz:

annekat
02-08-2014, 03:20 AM
That was interesting, Michelle. Thanks for posting.

Debbie C
02-08-2014, 07:31 AM
Yes, Thank you for all the info...I quess it would be good to take once in awhile as it does say it has many benefits internally as well. I still wonder if this "Aloecure" they were selling is the same as the juice ???? But is sounds like the juice is just as good and alot cheaper.

annekat
02-08-2014, 07:39 AM
You should be able to find out exactly what the ingredients of the Aloecure are. Maybe they have added sweeteners or something to counteract the bitter taste. Or it may be the same as the juice you can get anywhere, but they are just hyping it up to make it sound more special and like you have to get it from them at their expensive price.

annekat
02-08-2014, 07:41 AM
If it were me, I'd try the Trader Joe's brand for $10 a gallon. They have a reputation for quality and value.