PDA

View Full Version : Free Webinar from Vacsulitis Foundation:Road Map to Wellness!

blu4runner
01-29-2014, 02:43 AM
There is a free webinar on 1/29 from the vasculitis foundation on 1/29/14 from 11:00-11:45 AM Eastern Time. It is titled "Road Map to Wellness!" and the speaker is Dr Sreih from the University Of PA and is partnered with my Dr Dr Peter Merkel.
Just wanted to pass the information along link below for registration

Road Map to Wellness Webinar ? January 29th. Register Now! (http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/134182/)

I plan on listening to see what he has to say.

Debbie C
01-30-2014, 03:17 AM
I registered, just going to wait till it's that time. I hope it will be interesting.

Pete
01-30-2014, 03:35 AM
I registered, just going to wait till it's that time. I hope it will be interesting.

Me too!!!!!

Pete
01-30-2014, 04:59 AM
The webinar just finished. Key takeaways for me include:

Physical activity - start slow and increase level of activity slowly. Benefits of physical activity include - fights osteoporosis by keeping musculo-skeletal system in use and helps maintain balance to prevent falls. Listen to your body and do exercises that are appropriate for how your body feels. While I love to swim, I've given it up because I get acute shortness of breath after just a few minutes (this from a guy who used to swim 1500 meters in about 35 minutes). Goal is to burn 1000-2000 Kcal/week (that seems high to me if 1 Kcal = 1000 calories). Try to exercise at least 30 minutes per day, at least 5 days per week.

Diet - Your diet should be related to how you feel and the meds you're taking. No research done yet on gluten-free diets and vasculitis. Dr. Sreih did report anecdotally that some of his patients who had gone gluten-free had positive effects. US News & World Report (magazine) rates DASH Diet as the best overall for nutrition, ease of adherence, and prevention of heart disease and diabetes. Mediterranean diet also got good reviews.

Stress Management - Massage is good, although deep tissue massage (especially around neck) is not good for people with RA. Exercise is also a good stress reliever. (I didn't pay too much attention here as I'm retired and don't worry about job-related stressors anymore.)

Overall, a good investment of about 40 minutes. There will be another webinar from VF in March - subject TBA.

Debbie C
01-30-2014, 05:03 AM
I aslo listened Pete,and that was a very good summary of it. I was hoping they would of given more info,most of what he said we all know already. Except I haven't heard of the Dash Diet, I may see what that involves.

blu4runner
01-30-2014, 07:50 AM
I also listened to the webinar. It is supposed to be posted to the vasculitis foundation webpage. Any additional information we can get dealing with this nasty disorder can't hurt.

rebekah
02-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Thanks for sharing the info, Pete! :)