PDA

View Full Version : Hello! I am a new member.

FERRETSMOM
01-29-2014, 01:54 AM
Good morning everyone! I joined because my wonderful husband of 36 years was recently diagnosed. I am hoping this forum will help me help him live life to the fullest with a slight "turn".

Dirty Don
01-29-2014, 03:40 AM
Welcome Ferretsmom...really? A ferret? LOL! Sorry about your husband's 'new normal'...he will do fine with his slight turn in life. There will be many protocols to be followed, more drugs than one can imagine, and many avenues to explore. Please ask any and all questions you both may have, share your stories, vent if you're frustrated (we've all been there!), and know that the people on here are here for your (and their) best interests. Best to you!

marta
01-29-2014, 05:38 AM
Hello Ferretsmom,

I'm sorry to read about your husband, but know that there is an 'out' of the hole he, and you are feeling in right now.

There are great people on here who will help you with a myriad of issues that arise out of this situation. I know they empowered me and have made me into an educated, self sufficient and strong patient and advocate.
This is a great place to be in a crappy situation. I also have some great stories written by Weggies on my blog that can give you hope and inspiration. Weggies Unite: Other Weggie Stories (http://weggiesunite.blogspot.ca/p/other-weggie-stories.html)

All the best and wishing your husband a quick recovery.

annekat
01-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Welcome, Ferretsmom! I don't know what I can add to what Don and Marta have said, except that I'm glad you found us, now that your husband has WG. You and he will both feel a lot less alone by being here, and will find encouragement that he can recover from the worst of this and move on to living a fairly normal life. All the same, I'm sorry about his diagnosis, but it is better than not knowing what he has, and I trust he is getting the proper treatment, which should make him feel a lot better, and I hope that will be before too long.

mishb
01-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Hi Ferretsmom and welcome to you and your husband - from me, in Australia.

I'm so glad that you have found us - but as we always say - Sorry that you had to :crying:

We would love to hear more about your husband, his symptoms and what type of medication they have him on.

Someone is on this forum, any time of the day as we come from all parts of the world.
If you ever need some advice, someone to yell at to let of steam, or just a laugh - you know where to come

Take care of both of you and .........

Allisonquast
01-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Hello ferretsmom, I'm a wife of a weggie too. You will find lots of great information here and lots of support. Any more details on hubby's story?m

windchime
01-29-2014, 01:41 PM
Hi Ferretsmom, Welcome to the forum and ditto what has already been said. When you are ready please share some more of your husbands travels to/in/through the world of Wegs. Someone is always here if you need to talk. Also there are extensive archives with a wealth of information in them. Remember to take time for yourself to. It's rough being a caregiver. Again welcome to the forum.

Alysia
01-30-2014, 04:43 AM
Hi, and welcome.
can you tell us please, what is your husband suffering from ? what medications is he taking ? where do you live ? and whatever you wish to tell....

amann8506
01-31-2014, 07:08 AM
Welcome! This is an awesome place for venting and information. Can you tell us more about your husband's situation?

FERRETSMOM
03-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Thank you everyone for replying so quickly. I am sorry I have not been on for awhile. My husband helped me sum up his history and the list of meds he is on. So, here it is:
His medications are as follows - AmLODIPine Besylate 5 mg oral tablet (one daily), Cyclophosphamide 50 mg oral tablet (one tablet 2 times daily), Gabapentin 300 mg (2 capsules 3 times daily), Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg oral tablet (one tablet daily), Sulfameth/Trimethoprm (one daily 3 times week).

Here is a short summary of how things happened: six months of missed diagnosis, foot pain (misdiagnosed as gout), sever muscle pain from waist down, shoulder and arm pain, blood work, severe sinus infection, MRI showed something behind inner ear, GP referred him to ENT, ENT put tube in right ear, more blood work, did a nasal scope, said I had Weg/go to a rheumatologist, mmore blood work, positive for Weg, started medications 12-19-13. He still suffers from feet pain.

Now I will share a little personal history with you. My husband and I have been married 36 years. We have two beautiful daughters. One is in heaven - Donna died 5 years ago from complications of juvenile diabetes. The other daughter, Valerie lives in Milwaukee. She is a graphic designer and has a wonderful dog, Pickles - our grandog. We also have a wonderful grandaughter, Kylie who live with her Dad in Oklahoma. Kylie is Donna's daughter. In a short time span of ten years I lost my Dad, daughter, mother and sister. My great husband helped me cope with all of this. Of course all those deaths affected him too. So you can understand my first reaction after hearing my husband's diagnosis - can you spell "not again". However, we are both being VERY positive about this "turn" in our lives.
My husband built his own company - 30 years strong last year. He owns Precision Laser Alignment. He has traveled all over the country. He has not been able to work for months and that is hurting him. He takes such pride in his work and hates to tell customers to put a job on hold. He uses lasers to align machines. It is a very specialized line of work.
His other passion in life is boating on the Mississippi River. We love boating! That is one place my husband relaxes - at the wheel of his boat.
Right now we are trying to decide if he should retire. I have gone on too long in this post. I will try to come here more often.
Oh, I work at the courthouse. I am in charge of the judges schedules and jury summons. Thanks for listening everyone! Please reply - thanks!

Rose
03-10-2014, 02:08 AM
Hi Ferretsmom

Thanks for your info and like everyone else, sorry you had to find us. How has your husband responded to treatment? Foot pain is common with WG. I have had it a few times coming on suddenly over a period of a few days and lasted for up to three months affecting my mobility and then disappearing as fast as it has come on. I visited a podiatrist during one of these episodes , got very expensive custom made insoles, had xrays and nothing found.....and nothing helped only time. I am hoping this is the case with your husband. There could be other causes...what do the doctors say?

Should he be battling with anything please let us know. There is a wealth of experience here with people who have been there. If the treatment is working the only way is up from here on so there is a good chance that he will get behind the wheel of his boat again,

Rose

annekat
03-10-2014, 05:55 AM
FerretsMom, thanks for the information and letting us know more of your background. My condolences on the loss of your daughter and other close relatives in a ten year period. Your husband getting Wegs does not have to mean another such loss.

You did not mention prednisone among his meds, and I'm wondering if that was overlooked. Pretty much all of us take pred along with our immunosuppressant.

I also had some pretty severe foot pain earlier in my illness... I have pretty bad bunions, so that was part of it, but the pain could be in different parts of my feet and has gone way down since treatment.

Don't worry about going on too long. We are always glad to read what you write.

Alysia
03-11-2014, 05:47 AM
welcome again. thanks for sharing. I am sorry for your loss of your daughter :hug1:

FERRETSMOM
03-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Sorry, he does take prednisone - 20 mg - 2 daily. Thank you for your condolences. I need your help. I think my update only went to you. I thought I was replying to everyone that replied to my initial post. How do I post my "long" update so everyone can see it in new introductions? Thanks!

renidrag
03-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I am sure we all saw it. Sorry you have to be here, but the best people are here. Lots of answers to lots of questions.

annekat
03-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Sorry, he does take prednisone - 20 mg - 2 daily. Thank you for your condolences. I need your help. I think my update only went to you. I thought I was replying to everyone that replied to my initial post. How do I post my "long" update so everyone can see it in new introductions? Thanks! Dale is right, we all see all the posts, no matter whether the replies are made a "quick reply", "reply to thread", or "reply with quote". You can continue to post updates in this thread or you can start a new thread by going to "Forum" at top left of any page, and choosing from the list of different categories there in which you'd like to make a new post/start a thread. When you are in the category you chose, you'll see a list of threads and you'll go to "Post new thread" at top of page.

annekat
03-12-2014, 03:19 PM
You can also have private conversations via Private Messages at top of page or by clicking on a person's avatar and finding Send Private Message under their picture on their profile page.

vdub
03-12-2014, 03:51 PM
You've really been through a lot. Sorry its all happening at once.

My son, now 30, has had JD since he was 8. So far all is good.

I was on gabapentin up until 3 wks ago, so I decided to taper off. Its a neuropath pain blocker. So, at the moment I just have tramadol, hydrocodone, oxycotin. Tramadol is my primary pain pill, but I take the hydro once in a while. I haven't taken an oxy in months, but have it just in case.

You can see where we are all located by clicking on the map in my Sig below. We are all over the world.