PDA

View Full Version : European get-together

andrew
01-25-2014, 12:13 AM
Hi all
I'm planning a holiday to Europe this year. Still working it out but I'm wondering if any of our European members would think about a get-together somewhere - maybe Munich? Berlin? Lyon? Wherever? I may be doing a lot of idle traveling in Europe this year so if you can't make it to a group get-together I'd like to visit you and say hi.

Like I said, I'm only working on plans at the moment. I may be travelling in a camper van so timing and location will probably not be an issue.

Anyway, just asking to see if anyone is interested, able to travel etc etc.

andrew
01-25-2014, 12:16 AM
Oh wait I didn't say when :)

I'm thinking June/July/August

Debbie C
01-25-2014, 03:40 AM
I'd like to go :thumbsup: if we could get Phil to fuel up the jets, we call all travel around together.

Alysia
01-25-2014, 05:47 AM
can we make a forum meeting in Europe ? who can come ?
for me Europe is relatively possible :unsure: for others ?
how much time it takes from other continents ?
can we afford it, considering health and money ? :confused1:
am I just dreaming ? :blushing:

MikeG-2012
01-25-2014, 10:19 AM
How about a specific time to. Skype or google plus everyone together at once. A virtual European meeting, that is of you'll let us other side of the pond-ers attend?

vdub
01-25-2014, 04:13 PM
I"m going to Mildenhall, UK in April and maybe in July. I know that's not your course, but I was wondering about the camper van. Are you renting one? I've driven a lot in Germany, France, Italy, but I've never tackled driving on the other side in England. I guess England would be more natural for you, though. Anyway, what are you finding for rental prices?

andrew
01-25-2014, 04:54 PM
How about a specific time to. Skype or google plus everyone together at once. A virtual European meeting, that is of you'll let us other side of the pond-ers attend?

That's an excellent idea :) Well worth pursuing. Could make it a regular thing!

andrew
01-25-2014, 04:57 PM
I"m going to Mildenhall, UK in April and maybe in July. I know that's not your course, but I was wondering about the camper van. Are you renting one? I've driven a lot in Germany, France, Italy, but I've never tackled driving on the other side in England. I guess England would be more natural for you, though. Anyway, what are you finding for rental prices?

Hey mate :) I'm thinking of buying a camper and driving around for 3 - 6 months then selling it at the end of the trip. I've driven in France, Switzerland and Italy previously and found that I could handle that fine which removes a lot of the worry this time around :) The GPS was a life-saver :) If you're in the UK in July I could possibly pop over and meet you!

mishb
01-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Have you seen the movie 'Stripes' with Bill Murray?

I can see you (Andrew) buying the biggest, all purpose, all terrain, RV around, and then travelling throughout Europe rescuing the Weggies in each town and village - breaking through the boom gates to bring them back to the biggest Weggie party ever :flapper::lol:

MikeG-2012
01-26-2014, 06:02 AM
OK, I need to say this, despite how lame it may sound...

Andrew, are you going to buy a Weggie-bago motor home?

Sorry, just couldn't resist?

Debbie C
01-26-2014, 10:11 AM
I must say Andrew,when you take a holiday you don't mess around. I would love to travel through Europe for a few months,I have nothing better to do:biggrin1:

gilders
01-26-2014, 12:16 PM
If you make it to UK then I'm in. Getting to Europe maybe possible, but getting appropriate travel insurance that covers medical costs is the issue. Even though the last few years I managed to stay in remission it was really expensive. Now I'm having a relapse and have had a couple of stays in hospital, I dread to think of the cost. With renal, heart, blood clots, haemochromatosis, osteoporosis and other associated issues I'm kind of a high risk for insurance companies.

andrew
01-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Have you seen the movie 'Stripes' with Bill Murray?

I can see you (Andrew) buying the biggest, all purpose, all terrain, RV around, and then travelling throughout Europe rescuing the Weggies in each town and village - breaking through the boom gates to bring them back to the biggest Weggie party ever :flapper::lol:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I saw a REALLY nice big RV for 150,000.00EURO

andrew
01-26-2014, 01:21 PM
OK, I need to say this, despite how lame it may sound...

Andrew, are you going to buy a Weggie-bago motor home?

Sorry, just couldn't resist?

THAT will be its name :)

andrew
01-26-2014, 01:23 PM
If you make it to UK then I'm in. Getting to Europe maybe possible, but getting appropriate travel insurance that covers medical costs is the issue. Even though the last few years I managed to stay in remission it was really expensive. Now I'm having a relapse and have had a couple of stays in hospital, I dread to think of the cost. With renal, heart, blood clots, haemochromatosis, osteoporosis and other associated issues I'm kind of a high risk for insurance companies.

Ouch yeah that might make it difficult. I can probably come to you anyway as part of my aimless wandering :)

Alysia
01-28-2014, 05:29 AM
SO.... so far no forum meeting at Europe :sad: Is Israel a better location, maybe... :wink1: ?
will you still be with us here, Andrew, when you will be on your trip ?
it seems that I have no choice but the one in the next coming post.... watch out...

Alysia
01-28-2014, 05:30 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/q71/s720x720/1555396_1456294111249401_934247094_n.jpg

MikeG-2012
01-28-2014, 09:40 AM
THAT will be its name :)

Sorry, i put out a copyright on the name Andrew! You can't afford the royalties to use it now! LOL! Glad I could contribute my part to your awesome adventure! (-8

Geoff
01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Alysia I'm seeing you in a totally different light!

I'm just loving this post as some of you will know I have been banging on for ages about how much I enjoy meeting fellow weggies.

Andrew you know where I am and just to say if you do come again to the UK let me know.

VDUB I leave about an hour from Mildenhall so put me on your flight path!!

As I retire this week anywhere in Europe is good for me (apart from being next to Andrew in the mosh pit at one of those German Heavy Metal festivals, man does he go for it - I've seen the pictures!!)

jola57
02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
It would be great to meet in UK, I may be there June 16 to 21 and August 19 to 29.
Geoff, at least us two should meet. Congrats on retirement :)

Geoff
02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Cheers Jolanta,

Oh I see you have already raised your glass!! Would be great to see you in London as our arrangements fell apart last time.
Saying that tho' your hot tub looks a better option all round!!!!
Seriously it would be brilliant to share a pot of tea and a round of cucumber sandwiches, just name the day. :rolleyes1:

Debbie C
02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
Cucumber sandwiches ????? I thought it was tea and crumpets:biggrin1:

andrew
02-07-2014, 08:46 PM
As I retire this week anywhere in Europe is good for me (apart from being next to Andrew in the mosh pit at one of those German Heavy Metal festivals, man does he go for it - I've seen the pictures!!)

Hahahaha you aint seen nothing yet. This year's going to be the biggest yet!

andrew
02-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Been mulling over some ideas regarding an initial itinerary of sorts.

I'm working towards:

Sydney - > Calgary (meet Phil and any other Canadians eh) for about 5 days or so from 1 June

Apologise to Calgary for the mess then head to New York for another 5 days or so from 6 June. More than happy to meet anyone there.

Apologise to New York for the mess then head to London arriving on or about 12 June. Geoff (and others) prepare yourself.

London is used to me and needs no apology so then I'm off to the first festival in France from 19 June I think then back in London on 24th.

From 24th June to 30th July I have no plans. Will be somewhere in Europe and will pop in and see Alysia in Israel (apologies in advance for the mess, Israel). Most likely spend much of my time in Eastern Europe (Eastern Europe and I go way back. We both make a mess) but will go pretty much anywhere for a beer or a coffee.

From 30th July to 4th August I'm in Hamburg (we meet again, Hamburg) for another festival. After that? Meh...no idea. More meandering I guess :)

That's the high-level schedule. It WILL change at least 47 times between now and then.

pberggren1
02-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Andy and I will party it up in Calgary.....:thumbsup:

Alysia
02-08-2014, 07:26 AM
Been mulling over some ideas regarding an initial itinerary of sorts.

I'm working towards:

Sydney - > Calgary (meet Phil and any other Canadians eh) for about 5 days or so from 1 June

Apologise to Calgary for the mess then head to New York for another 5 days or so from 6 June. More than happy to meet anyone there.

Apologise to New York for the mess then head to London arriving on or about 12 June. Geoff (and others) prepare yourself.

London is used to me and needs no apology so then I'm off to the first festival in France from 19 June I think then back in London on 24th.

From 24th June to 30th July I have no plans. Will be somewhere in Europe and will pop in and see Alysia in Israel (apologies in advance for the mess, Israel). Most likely spend much of my time in Eastern Europe (Eastern Europe and I go way back. We both make a mess) but will go pretty much anywhere for a beer or a coffee.

From 30th July to 4th August I'm in Hamburg (we meet again, Hamburg) for another festival. After that? Meh...no idea. More meandering I guess :)

That's the high-level schedule. It WILL change at least 47 times between now and then.
Wow. It will be awesome ! My honor and pleasure to meet you andrew . I will look if there are some festivals here....

Debbie C
02-08-2014, 07:37 AM
I'd love to go to New York,I've never been outside the airport there and that will be right around my birthday. Maybe some other weggies around here would want to make a road trip. Although I don't have a Weggie-bago !!!!

MikeG-2012
02-09-2014, 06:57 AM
"Weggie-bago"

Man, look what I started... <sigh>

:rolleyes1:

If you're passing through the US through the Midwest Andrew, let me know. But, I assume that you are probably going to stick to the north through Canada, correct?

andrew
02-09-2014, 10:52 AM
"Weggie-bago"

Man, look what I started... <sigh>

:rolleyes1:

If you're passing through the US through the Midwest Andrew, let me know. But, I assume that you are probably going to stick to the north through Canada, correct?

Hi Mike
Yep looks like Calgary and New York this time. My usual travelling buddy is talking about a US trip next year though so I may be carving a path through your area then :)

andrew
02-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Now looking at staying in St Petersburg for five or six days in late June/July if anyone is around that area. Going to need a rest somewhere in there too hahaha

pberggren1
02-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I think Sava is near there. Not sure. Is he still on the Forum?

andrew
02-09-2014, 12:09 PM
I think Sava is near there. Not sure. Is he still on the Forum?

Sava isn't on the forum any more.

pberggren1
02-09-2014, 12:12 PM
That's too bad. I really like him.

mishb
02-09-2014, 03:46 PM
I'm guessing that Melbourne (Australia, not Florida) is too far away from you :tongue1::flapper::lol:

andrew
02-09-2014, 04:21 PM
I'm guessing that Melbourne (Australia, not Florida) is too far away from you :tongue1::flapper::lol:

Will probably be there for a wedding at the end of march so no, not too far away :flapper::flapper::flapper::flapper::flapper:

Alysia
02-10-2014, 01:59 AM
I wonder what happened to saava and why did he go just like that.
anyone knows ?

pberggren1
02-10-2014, 02:05 AM
I know.........

Wegetarian
02-10-2014, 02:49 AM

I would be interested, would be fun to leave for a few days. Let us know if you know with a better certainty in what city you'll be in and I'll check if there are any cheap flights available :)

MikeG-2012
02-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Hi Mike
Yep looks like Calgary and New York this time. My usual travelling buddy is talking about a US trip next year though so I may be carving a path through your area then :)

Let me know if you are near the Chicago area. Always room for more at our place to park the Weggie-bago!

Also if Yellowstone or that area is on your itinerary, let me know too. I lived in Cody, WY for a few years and can play travel guide of attractions to skip and give you a list of "must see" things too. My parents are still in Cody, so I could hook you up with them too if you needed anything.

KimH
02-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Count me in when you get to NY. Seriously! PM when you know what,where,when. It will be great to meet you.

jola57
02-11-2014, 05:20 PM
This time it is definitely a date Geoff :) Phil and Andrew, if you firm up the day, I can fly to Calgary for couple of days :)

pberggren1
02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
The more the merrier Jolanta......:thumbsup:

andrew
02-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Count me in when you get to NY. Seriously! PM when you know what,where,when. It will be great to meet you.

Excellent :) I will be in touch!

Barbara N
02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
Hi all
I'm planning a holiday to Europe this year. Still working it out but I'm wondering if any of our European members would think about a get-together somewhere - maybe Munich? Berlin? Lyon? Wherever? I may be doing a lot of idle traveling in Europe this year so if you can't make it to a group get-together I'd like to visit you and say hi.

Like I said, I'm only working on plans at the moment. I may be travelling in a camper van so timing and location will probably not be an issue.

You would be welcome here in southern Spain anytime and depending on hospital schedule I could probably go any where and meet up. It would be great to meet you and there is another WG girl living right here in the same town.

Geoff
02-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Andrew I hope you are packing some serious pred because I'm exhausted just reading your itinery!!!!!!!

I'm freewheeling myself this year and open to most European meet ups, but history tells me that we have to set some dates in concrete or else they dont happen. I guess Andrew we will have to wait until you have a firm idea of your travels, and then hope to slot in with your movements, its like docking with a lunar shuttle on the dark side of the moon!!

andrew
02-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Andrew I hope you are packing some serious pred because I'm exhausted just reading your itinery!!!!!!!

I'm freewheeling myself this year and open to most European meet ups, but history tells me that we have to set some dates in concrete or else they dont happen. I guess Andrew we will have to wait until you have a firm idea of your travels, and then hope to slot in with your movements, its like docking with a lunar shuttle on the dark side of the moon!!

You're correct on all counts Geoff! I'm getting lots of exercise in beforehand. I'm intending the trip to be quite relaxed and I'm not going to get too stressed if I don['t see as much as I planned. Slow and steady wins the race :)

Debbie C
02-13-2014, 09:56 AM
I need to get some one here in Ohio to make the road trip with me, unless I fly in. But I don't know anything about NYC as far as places to stay. I'd like to be in or near where you would be at Andrew.

andrew
02-13-2014, 05:03 PM
I need to get some one here in Ohio to make the road trip with me, unless I fly in. But I don't know anything about NYC as far as places to stay. I'd like to be in or near where you would be at Andrew.

That would be awesome! All things going to plan I should have my itinerary sorted in April. Will put up all the info then so we can all talk about where and when :)

Barbara N
02-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Don-t forget Spain, we have two Weggies in one town.

andrew
02-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Don-t forget Spain, we have two Weggies in one town.

Hmmmm... I could go to Spain after Israel.....hmmmmmm

renidrag
02-16-2014, 09:38 AM
Boston is only an hour by plane Andrew, and if you keep touring at this rate, you may not get home for months. We could share a beer.
Dale

andrew
02-16-2014, 11:14 AM
Boston is only an hour by plane Andrew, and if you keep touring at this rate, you may not get home for months. We could share a beer.
Dale

Yeah I was looking at a map and remember seeing Boston, it's not far away at all :) It would be on the list of possibilities depending on schedule - it is very close. Is it easy to drive there?

renidrag
02-16-2014, 02:57 PM
Yeah I was looking at a map and remember seeing Boston, it's not far away at all :) It would be on the list of possibilities depending on schedule - it is very close. Is it easy to drive there?
fairly simple , four to four and a half hours. Train is faster. Where are you in New York? The city?

andrew
02-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Yes I'm planning to stay in Manhattan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KimH
02-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I live half way to Boston from NYC. I could get Andrew from NYC and then drive up to Boston. Where are you ...south of Boston ? I am in the northwest corner of CT. From your avatar with your instruments I think you and my husband would get along great.

renidrag
02-18-2014, 12:41 AM
Aside from rush hour I am fifteen minutes south of Boston, we could meet halfway maybe, say Foxwoods?

KimH
02-18-2014, 01:57 AM
I am two hours from NYC either via Metro North or car( if there is no traffic) . I am two hours from Foxwoods, when I 95 is not a parking lot. I have a guest room and an amazing back yard for a place to rest and drink a few beers. I am more than happy to do what ever fits Andrew's schedule. I am looking forward to meeting every one.

andrew
02-18-2014, 11:10 PM
So very kind of you KimH and Dale! Quite overwhelmed by it :) So very much looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can!

andrew
05-27-2014, 09:02 PM
Hi all. It pains me to say so but I've postponed my grand tour for a year. I've got a lot of things competing for my attention right now (nothing tragic, just life stuff) and taking a trip overseas isn't a viable proposition at the moment. Thankfully though I reckon the world will still be there next year and I'll make it an even more awesome trip then :)

I will however be taking a short trip within Australia at some point soon for a week or so. I've found a cabin in the mountains with no TV or Internet, just great views and amazing walking tracks.

Thanks to all you awesome people that I was going to meet up with. I'm still looking forward to seeing you!

Alysia
05-28-2014, 01:07 AM
take your time, andrew :love: whenever you will be able to, and feel like, you are my guest. it will be my honor and pleasure to host you :hug1:
we have a say in Hebrew: "every delay turns out for good".... so prob this is the case :wink1:
here, to comfort you, I post a pic of our sea. it is a pic I took in the day that I went to do MRI of my brain (which was ok). the sea and the sand and the seagull.... I hope it can make you smile :biggrin1:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/71661_1459700770908735_163721002_n.jpg

LisaT
05-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Oops I did it again... Replied to the second or third page of a thread without reading to the end. Sigh... Do we have a term for weggie-fuzz brain?!?

Geoff
05-28-2014, 05:58 AM
OK Kahoona, so sorry you wont be visiting my country this year but maybe next year I'll be heading down south? Just a thought at this moment but hopefully the seed will grow. All my folks are on the West coast but numerous friends on the East (Brisban and Sydney) as well as NZ.
Trust you re-scheduling is not thru any adverse trickery and looking forward to sharing a drink with you in the future.
Good Luck Buddy. :thumbup:

chrisTIn@
05-28-2014, 07:41 AM
Wishing you a nice week in that mountain-cabin! :smile1:

annekat
05-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Oops I did it again... Replied to the second or third page of a thread without reading to the end. Sigh... Do we have a term for weggie-fuzz brain?!? Lisa, I don't think you are the first to do it. And "weggie fuzz-brain" works as a term unless we can think of one more scientific but equally descriptive.

drz
05-28-2014, 02:25 PM

So how big are the mountains near the cabin? ChrisTIn might be envious living in Nederlands where mountains are rare.:biggrin1::wink1:

drz
05-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Lisa, I don't think you are the first to do it. And "weggie fuzz-brain" works as a term unless we can think of one more scientific but equally descriptive.

Chemo brain can be used when on RTX or CTX and pred moment works most of the time too since pred goofs up our concentration and our emotions.

annekat
05-28-2014, 04:04 PM
Chemo brain can be used when on RTX or CTX and pred moment works most of the time too since pred goofs up our concentration and our emotions. Ah, yes, "chemo brain" was the term my "weggie fuzz-brain" was trying to think of! "Pred moment" works well, too, with the added dimension of a little rage possibly thrown in.

Barbara N
05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
If you are ever in Spain, you are welcome here and we can show you a good time. This site has done so much for me, I would like to do something for you. love, Barbara

Alysia
05-28-2014, 04:32 PM
If you are ever in Spain, you are welcome here and we can show you a good time. This site has done so much for me, I would like to do something for you. love, Barbara

Barbara :love: :wub: :hug1::hug2::hug3:

annekat
05-28-2014, 04:47 PM
How are you, Barbara?

andrew
05-28-2014, 08:50 PM
OK Kahoona, so sorry you wont be visiting my country this year but maybe next year I'll be heading down south? Just a thought at this moment but hopefully the seed will grow. All my folks are on the West coast but numerous friends on the East (Brisban and Sydney) as well as NZ.
Trust you re-scheduling is not thru any adverse trickery and looking forward to sharing a drink with you in the future.
Good Luck Buddy. :thumbup:

Hi Geoff. Nope not adverse trickery :) Come to Sydney!! I'll show you some of my favourite places. Might even make you dinner at my place if you're feeling adventurous hahaha

andrew
05-28-2014, 08:51 PM

Thanks! Soooo looking forward to that. Just me and.....me :)

andrew
05-28-2014, 08:52 PM
So how big are the mountains near the cabin? ChrisTIn might be envious living in Nederlands where mountains are rare.:biggrin1::wink1:

Haha not big by world standards but big enough to be impressive.

andrew
05-28-2014, 08:53 PM

Thanks Barbara! I'd love to come to Spain. Several of my friends have been and rave about it. Probably about time I took a look for myself :)

drz
05-29-2014, 03:04 AM
Haha not big by world standards but big enough to be impressive.

Do they ever get snow covered? I remember a good movie years ago about the Man from Snowy River. Is snow skiing very popular in Australia?

andrew
05-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Do they ever get snow covered? I remember a good movie years ago about the Man from Snowy River. Is snow skiing very popular in Australia?

These ones do for sure. Yep snow skiing is hugely popular here. We've had a very warm autumn season here though so despite the skiing season starting very soon there's been no snow. I'm not a skier myself though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alysia
05-29-2014, 04:56 PM
These ones do for sure. Yep snow skiing is hugely popular here. We've had a very warm autumn season here though so despite the skiing season starting very soon there's been no snow. I'm not a skier myself though.

we only have one little mountain which get covered with snow about 5 days a year and then all the country is standing in trafic to feel some snow, skiing is rare, usually not enough snow for it :rolleyes1:

annekat
05-30-2014, 12:39 AM
We have some pretty serious skiing here, with high enough mountains for a decent ski season, depending on the varying amount of snow each year. I took lessons as as kid but have not stuck with it. It is expensive!

LisaT
06-02-2014, 03:30 AM
We have some pretty serious skiing here, with high enough mountains for a decent ski season, depending on the varying amount of snow each year. I took lessons as as kid but have not stuck with it. It is expensive!

Thats one of the reasons I haven't skied for so long. We have one of the nicest ski resorts in the world two hours away but it is very pricey!

Jayne 14
06-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Hello guys
I'm brand new and can only seem to comment to a thread not start my own . Any tips please !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

annekat
06-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Hello guys
I'm brand new and can only seem to comment to a thread not start my own . Any tips please !!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Go to the home page of the forum by clicking Forum at the upper left corner of this page. Scroll down and choose from the list of topic categories, like New Member Introductions. Go there and you'll see a list of recent threads. Click "Post New Thread" at upper left of page and you'll be presented with a window for writing your post, submitting it, and thus starting your own thread, to which people will undoubtedly respond.

Geoff
06-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Andrew your offer sounds great, but please, no more Pred pie!!

Alysia
06-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Andrew your offer sounds great, but please, no more Pred pie!!
"pred pie" sounds yummy to me :tongue: