PDA

View Full Version : dizzy and off balance

Christine1219
01-24-2014, 07:17 AM
My husband was diagnosed November 19, 2013. He had 4 infusions of Rituxan and is on Prednisone and Methotrexate and the Bactrim 3x a week. He passed out once in the shower two days after his 5 week long hospital stay. He hasn't experienced any dizziness since then until recently. For the past week he has been complaining of extreme pressure in his head/sinuses and a dizzy feeling and not having balance. Yesterday morning, I heard him calling for me and he was on the floor in our bedroom. He was in the shower and got out and sat on the toilet and then felt like he was going to pass out and crawled into the bedroom. I took him to his rheumatologist. She thought it might be related to sinus pressure and sent him right to an ENT. The ENT took a culture from his nose to test for a sinus infection. Then they tested his hearing which was normal and then they did one quick test where they put his head back and to the side and he did not get dizzy or have rapid eye movement. They want to schedule a vestibular test once they determine whether or not he has a sinus infection. I think he should go straight for a CT scan or MRI of the head. Anybody else experience this dizzy, off-balance sensation? Any suggestions for us?

pberggren1
01-24-2014, 08:55 AM
I don't what to think about this. What did the ENT say when looking at his ear drums?

Christine1219
01-24-2014, 09:18 AM
Hi Phil,

The ENT said the ear drums looked normal. And the audiologist who performed the hearing test and the test to try to "induce" that dizziness said everything was completely normal. My mother-in-law just contacted me to say that his MD is sending him straight to the ER. He is there now. I am praying.

sectech1
01-24-2014, 09:59 AM
I was diagnosed in late August, had the 4 rtx infusions, now having an infusion every 2 months, coming up on my 6th one next week. I have bouts of dizziness but have always thought it was my sinuses. Haven't had one in a while, they seem to happen to me more with the drastic weather change. I am seeing an
ENT in February, haven't seen one since my diagnosis so looking forward to that. My trouble started in my ears, then ended up in my lungs, thank god no kidney involvement yet. I am trying to ween off pred's, down to 2.5 a day, but have been running a low grade fever for the last 3 nights, so don't know whats going on, so discouraged because my ct scan 2 weeks ago was great!! I did go for blood work today, and a chest xray and flu nasal swap. See the doc tomorrow! I guess I'm hoping its the flu, that's a first I guess!!

Dirty Don
01-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I had a similar bout with dizziness/passing out...it turned out to be a bad mix of drugs: a blood pressure pill prescribed from stay in hospital and continued at home mixed with Simvastatin...NOT a good combo as my BP just dropped out of sight when I arose quickly OR was in a steamy/enclosed shower...go figure, I'm not the doc, but that's what it turned out.

JeanMarie
01-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Christine--I hope the ER can get to the bottom of this, my prayers that he will be better soon

Christine1219
01-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Update - he is still in the ER. He had a CT Scan and they just sent him for an MRI. The MD who examined him asked me about his face (his right eye is sunken in and squinty and his left eyebrow seems higher than the right). His whole facial symmetry is off. I told the Dr that he definitely didn't look that way this morning. He did some tests with him with lights, etc and then he mentioned possible stroke! They really just don't know. They said there is absolutely some type of nerve impingement to cause the double vision, blurred vision in his right eye and the facial stuff, but they don't know what's causing it. My poor, sweet husband has been through SO much as I know you all have been. I think of you all with this crazy illness and am beyond impressed with your strength and resilience. Bless you all! And thanks again for the support and advice.

pberggren1
01-24-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh no, this is horrible Christine. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your husband.

windchime
01-24-2014, 04:46 PM
I hope you get some answers and soon. Praying it's not a stroke or anything serious. Hang in there you are a strong person and can get through this.

Alysia
01-25-2014, 06:03 AM
Hi, I hope that things are getting better already... my prayers are with you.... please update us.

Allisonquast
01-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Yes hang in there Christine, we will all be praying in our own way for you and hubby. We just went through a scare a few weeks ago so I know how you are feeling. I agree, our poor husbands and all the weggies here have so much to deal with. They are learning more and more every day from them and one day there will be a cure!

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED - hugs!

Allisonquast
01-25-2014, 08:32 AM
Yes hang in there Christine, we will all be praying in our own way for you and hubby. We just went through a scare a few weeks ago so I know how you are feeling. I agree, our poor husbands and all the weggies here have so much to deal with. They are learning more and more every day from them and one day there will be a cure!

PLEASE KEEP US POSTED - hugs!
And look after yourself ! This is hard on you too.

renidrag
01-25-2014, 08:52 AM
Did he have leg pain, or possible a clot? If it let loose it could have passed to lungs. That is what happened to me and brought dizziness and almost teetering when walking. Might ask about blood sugar and diabetes, I went down one day with that too. In my thoughts and keep us posted.
Dale

marylz
01-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Hi Christine, I have had some bouts of light-headed-ness over the past month or so. The first time it happened I was walking into Target, got dizzy, was looking for a cart to hold onto or somewhere to sit and then my knees buckled and down onto the floor I went. Luckily I did not hurt myself. I told my doctor, whom I saw about 2 days later and he said it was probably a combo of side effects of the various drugs I'm taking, probably specifically Lasix, so told me to cut it down from every day to 3 times a week. A week later the same thing happened, but this time it was while entering my house. Unfortunately this time I broke my leg in the process. I am now in a "boot" for the next 4 weeks. I still am getting light headed occasionally, but I take getting up and moving around much more slowly now and am hoping for no more accidents!
I hope they figure out what's going on with your husband and that he is ok. Fingers crossed!!!

windchime
01-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Hi Christine, I have had some bouts of light-headed-ness over the past month or so. The first time it happened I was walking into Target, got dizzy, was looking for a cart to hold onto or somewhere to sit and then my knees buckled and down onto the floor I went. Luckily I did not hurt myself. I told my doctor, whom I saw about 2 days later and he said it was probably a combo of side effects of the various drugs I'm taking, probably specifically Lasix, so told me to cut it down from every day to 3 times a week. A week later the same thing happened, but this time it was while entering my house. Unfortunately this time I broke my leg in the process. I am now in a "boot" for the next 4 weeks. I still am getting light headed occasionally, but I take getting up and moving around much more slowly now and am hoping for no more accidents!
I hope they figure out what's going on with your husband and that he is ok. Fingers crossed!!!

Mary so sorry you broke your leg. Goodness. Are you on blood pressure meds. Sometimes they can make you dizzy. Just a thought. Stay safe.

Christine1219
01-26-2014, 12:24 AM
Marylz, So sorry you broke your leg. That has been a major concern for me with my husband - that he will get injured. Whenever he says he feels dizzy, I immediately tell him to get on the floor.

drz
01-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Lot of things can cause dizzyness or feeling lightheaded. Meds, low blood pressure or heart issues, and strokes are most common causes.

Wegs gave me vestibular hypofunction along with loss of hearing in my right ear. This resulted in poor balance and a need for vestibular rehab. I still wobble when I walk and have to be very careful not fall over, especially if I close my eyes.