PDA

View Full Version : Nasal scope: how often?

whatthewhat
01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Hi guys,

Just wanting to read your replies: how often do you think her ENT should scope our daughter's nose, if she was diagnosed <year ago, and at the time had a lot of sinus & nose involvement? And, like, why would an ENT be reluctant to look around up there, if she's fine with it - there's no downside, right?

pberggren1
01-16-2014, 05:40 PM
I get mine scoped if I feel it is needed. The ENT can see deep inside the nose just by looking with his visor thingy. But if your daughter feels things going on deep inside or in the throat, he should scope. A scope is easy peasy.

whatthewhat
01-17-2014, 02:10 AM
Thanks, Phil. Our daughter thinks they are easy peasy too :-)

MikeG-2012
01-17-2014, 09:43 AM
My ENT does a scope at every visit and takes the time to remove all the crusts he can get a hold of, plus runs suction on the areas that have any signs of infection. My sinuses are a mess from the wegs, so I get a good cleaning at every visit, which is now down to every couple weeks. The crusting has been better since the RTX infusions and all the pred, but there is still quite a bit he pulls out each time I'm there. Let me say this, I have GREAT insurance, so they pay all of the office and procedure visits. Once my out of pocket deductible has been met for the year, I pay nothing for these cleanings. If I didn't have such good insurance, I would probably have to get by with once a month or when I absolutely needed it.

After doing this several times, I agree easy peasy! (-8

pberggren1
01-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Mike, what is your out of pocket deductible for the year?

MikeG-2012
01-18-2014, 09:48 AM
Mike, what is your out of pocket deductible for the year?

I'd rather not share that, but it is about two visits. Last year it was a LOT less, but with the Healthcare Reform Act, our insurance committee was afraid of the "Cadillac Tax", so they raised it. Our college had a self funded insurance plan since it was formed 50 years ago. All premiums go into a fund to pay for services. We also have insurance on our insurance for large claims, like 10 days in the hospital Wegs patients.

pberggren1
01-18-2014, 10:57 AM
Wow, that sounds like a good insurance plan for sure Mike.

MikeG-2012
01-18-2014, 12:18 PM
Wow, that sounds like a good insurance plan for sure Mike.

Yes, I am very fortunate to work at a place that has great benefits. This job at the college has been a gift from God, from the very beginning. Without the gold plated insurance, we would have been in SERIOUS financial trouble in 2012 when I spent 10 days in the hospital. I have no idea what we would have done with 25% of an over $65k hospital bill!

Now, maintaining this disease is manageable once we meet the out of pocket for the year. It is nice not having to worry about paying for all the services needed just to keep my sinuses under control.