PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here that has dealt with social security disability

jeff rizz
08-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I was dx'd in Sept 2008. I started with severe joint pain, skin nodules, consistent coughing, hoarseness and then coughing up blood. I spent three weeks in ICU and one of those weeks was on life support. They did a biopsy to get the dx. I was doing well on the cytoxin and pred and switched to mxtrxate. Shortly after switching I had a flare (starting with joint pain again) and my pred was increased back to 60mg pred. Now my numbers are back down and symptoms have subsided. Down to 30mg pred, bactrim, mxtrxate, folic acid, anti-depressent for sleep aide.
I am just wondering if anyone has had to deal with SSD? I am currently in the process, was denied the first time and in Pennsylvania you are not given reconcideration but automatically setup for a hearing.
I have a lawyer through my long term disability company, they are telling me 12 to 18 months for a hearing? due to backlog of cases?
Just curious to see if anyone else has gone through this? Very nervous about the hearing, trying to find out how bad it is? How long it took to get your hearing? did you eventually win your case? Any information that someone could give me would be really helpful. I know that it has been difficult for some Wegener's patients to get approved. My lawyer is familiar with Wegener's and actually just had a case that involved Wegener's.

thanks, Jeff

Doug
08-24-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm curious myself. I looked at the Social Security definition for disabled and felt I didn't match the description, as a weggie in remission. It's that old "don't look sick, can't be that sick" thing weggies go through. I guess you are the test case for the forum, Jeff. Let us know how it goes, in detail.

capabayan
08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Hmm... I filed for SSD and had no problems at all getting it. In fact I was told by a few "elderly" peeps that it went through record-fast. We first asked my rheumy if she thought I could qualify, as I was no longer able to work outside the home, and she told me to go for it. I think that was around January 2008-ish? Anyway it went through, they got all the paperwork, and I had my first back payment around July 2008.
I don't know if that helps at all, other than to know that another Weggie actually did make it through with no probs. Something I constantly emphasized on all the forms, etc (which your lawyer should know if he just dealt with another WG case) is the low-to-nil immune system, which would seriously affect your ability to be out in the public working consistently. I also had to emphasize my inconsistent (but consistently low) energy levels - not something very measurable, unfortunately, but a very real problem for me in trying to be out a set amount of time every week. And play up any other problems you have. I've got severe hearing loss compounded with constant ringing in that ear - which a hearing aid would not help with at all. I have breathing problems due to subglottal stenosis. Anything at all you can think of that would affect your ability to hold down ANY sort of job (not just the "ideal" job)...
Hope it goes well and you're able to start getting it soon! I'm young so I'm not getting huge payments, but it definitely helps a little with the bills and the medical debt.

Sangye
08-24-2009, 11:56 PM
I was very lucky. I got dx'ed in June, 2006 and was in serious bad shape by that time. There was no way in the world I could work at anything. Encouraged by others, I applied right away, even though I was certain I'd be able to work again by the time it started (5 months).

My docs wrote the letters. I waited the typical time for an independent medical exam (maybe 2-3 months?). I was on oxygen and still incredibly sick. I showed up for the appt, the doctor said "I've read your medical records and the letters from your doctors. I see no reason to put you through an exam, because it's obvious you're going to flunk the whole thing. This diagnosis is an automatic approval. So I'm writing my recommendation for approval and we can spend the time talking. Tell me what it's like living with Wegener's."

I had no idea that anyone struggles to get SSDI. But I was still shocked at how easy it was, much less that a doctor wanted to know what living with Wegs was like! I got my first check in Dec, with one back-payment for November.

I think people who return to work have to struggle more to prove their disability. In my case, from the time of diagnosis I was unable to work. And here it is, more than 3 years later, and I still haven't been able to return to work.

My payments are not that much, either, since I was only 43 when they started, and in my adulthood I've spent 9 years in school and 5 years working overseas. But I'd be up a creek without it.

Carly Hedge
07-13-2010, 08:38 AM
I applied back around Columbus day 2009 for disability. I haven't heard anything. I was talking to them around the end of December and the beginning of Jan of 2010. But nothing since then. They somewhat freaked when I told them I was working part-time and I mean real part-time like 20 hrs maybe. They have all my medical records and I had to show them proof that I didn't make over the limited amount of income. My case still states pending. Is there anything I can do to get some decision made? Plus, the only reason I went back to work is because I had bills to pay. I don't like talking to my case worker cause he is an pain in the u know what. any ideas?

Sangye
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
You need to call them, Carly. That's way too long to wait for a decision. However, they don't care why you're working, just that you are able to. They should be able to give you concrete answers for the delay, and it should be in writing.

Aunnie
07-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi Jeff
I've been a Weggie since 2007.I didnt work than whole and went back summer of 2008.At my work I had Long Term Disability(thank Goodness),so I started getting LTD July of 07.
when I went back to work occassionally,I woud have to fax my pay stubs t o LTD and they would decide if they would still pay me the whole amount,according to contract.
Long story short,I worked last summer until Nov.2009.I have been out since.In March 2010,my LTD said I needed to apply for SSDI,but they supplied the attorney,no cost to me.

At first after a month,I received a denial,sort of standard,but 2 weeks ago I was approved,so I will receive SSDI checks and ltd checks to make up the difference.

As far as I know,Wegeners is on this list for approval.

I Think your lawyer ,should have all your DRS. write letters or at least your main Wegs DRs.

Good Luck to you,i don't think you should have to wait 18 months though.

If you have any questions for me ,please ask away

We hAVE TO HELP EACh other!!!!!!

AUNNIE

Carly Hedge
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Ok.. well I was thinking about calling my case workers supervisor to find out what is going on. I will probably do that tomorrow. I have called the general 800 number and all they tell me is that its still processing.

Carly Hedge
07-14-2010, 12:59 AM
I called and my case worker stated that I was denied because I made over the amount last year once before I was sick. He said even a dollar over can deny ya. Asked if I was still working told I had to to pay for my treatment. Told him that I am not making over the amount that is the limit this year so he told me to file an appeal but I need my notice of denial first. So he is suppose to mail it out to me. :)

elephant
07-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Geez sorry to hear that glad you are persistant!

Carly Hedge
07-14-2010, 06:33 AM
I am trying to be. I work part-time and get no benefits so we didn't have a 2nd income from July 31 st till the 2nd week of Jan of 2010 when I was released back into the public. The medical bills were piling up. Also if ANYTHING happens to my current job, I know that I can't work then because of my condition. At least what I have experience in. And us Weggies have to watch our stress levels. :) But I am lucky that my hubby has really good insurance. :)

Sangye
07-14-2010, 08:33 AM
Hang in there, Carly. It'll work out. :)

jeff rizz
07-22-2010, 10:01 AM
I had my disability hearing set for 07/07/10. I drove over an hour to get there, was freaking out all week about going in front of the judge. The judge called my lawyer in to her room and told him that they would not be able to hear my case because she just received my updated medical information the week before. So my hearing was rescheduled for 09/23/10. Are you kidding me! Two years I have not been cleared for work. I was denied the first time in June of 08 then denied a second time Request for reconsideration in May of 09 then had 60 days apply for an appeal hearing. My lawyer is through my long term disability company that I have been receiving through my former employer. (Was terminated due to year long absence due to illness) Union guidelines. I am not sure what you mean by wegner's being on the approval list? Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Sorry this pred head can't remember who responded to my original post about the approval list.

Carly Hedge
07-22-2010, 10:34 AM
14.00-Immune-Adult (http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/14.00-Immune-Adult.htm#14_03)

D.-(14.03)- 2.a-ii

julia
07-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I applied and was rejected. I think I am capable of working part-time. Just hard to find anything at the moment.

I am nervous because I have worked with some pretty lazy people and I do not want to appear to be that way.

My sisters law firm works with ssd. She said she could appeal my case but I said no I really do not think I am unable to work I just have to find the right job.

pberggren1
07-22-2010, 01:31 PM
I hope you can find a job soon that is suitable for you Julia. And one that is not too taxing mentally and physically. I know it can be hard to find a job especially with our limitations and today's economic crisis.

God Bless,
Phil

elephant
07-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Julia, I feel your pain. Wish I could find a part-time job that is not too stressful. It's tight out there. Hope you find something that you will like Julia.

Lightwarrior
07-23-2010, 04:59 AM
I applied and was rejected. I think I am capable of working part-time. Just hard to find anything at the moment.

I am nervous because I have worked with some pretty lazy people and I do not want to appear to be that way.

My sisters law firm works with ssd. She said she could appeal my case but I said no I really do not think I am unable to work I just have to find the right job.

Don't be too quick to not appeal, years ago I sat on the board of directors for a non-profit law center, it was common knowledge then that the first go around almost always got denied, but the case was won on appeal. It may be harder to re-file than to appeal. Just a thought, I know you want to work part time and I hope you find something soon.

Sangye
07-23-2010, 05:15 AM
years ago I sat on the board of directors for a non-profit law center,
Thank you for doing that. Kudos to anyone who helps defend the powerless of the world. :)