PDA

View Full Version : Severe neck pain - help? Advice?

carriej22
01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi guys,

I don't know if this is WG related or not (which is why I haven't gone in) but I wanted some advice, along the lines of... If it were YOU, what would you do?

About a week ago I started with an annoying neck pain. I thought it might have been that I slept funny, or whatever... Not a big deal.

It has gotten worse. I can't move my arms over my head or hardly move because my neck pain is that severe - and I have a very high pain tolerance.

Here's the thing... I took some motrim (ibuprofen) and it improved, not great but much more bearable. I am assuming since motrim is helping, even just a little bit that it's muscle related? So nothing to worry about, right?

It's just extremely debilitating... I have been walking around for two days with the heating pad and my head on my shoulder. I wouldn't say it was bad if it wasn't... But a really, really bad flu is circulating in my town and I don't want to go expose myself to it at the hospital if this is just something that will go away.

When it happens it knocks the breath right out of me. Freezes my entire body, it's almost like a spasm. My neck also doesn't appear to be "stiff" or anything, because it will bend, just hurts extremely bad to do so. However, I can bend it and it will hurt severely for about 4-5 seconds then nothing. So as long as I sit perfectly still it's fine... It's just a really bad stabbing pain along the left side of the back of my neck right down to my shoulder.

Stay home and tough it out? I have so much stuff I have to do and this is so debilitating :(

Dirty Don
01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
Most likely you have an inflamed nerve from who knows what. It's probably not WG related, but since it probably is an inflammation of some sort (nerve endings) I'd ask the doc. If an anti-inflammatory helped some, pred will help more...LOL! If it is truly debilitating (I believe you!) then you may want to have xrays or such done very soon. Best to you.

carriej22
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Well crap.

That isn't what I wanted to hear Don lol

pberggren1
01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Go see a chiropractor.

windchime
01-06-2014, 11:55 AM
I would say it's a muscle spasm from what you are explaining. I would get a massage and see a chiropractor like Phil suggested. You may have to do this more than once, but it will help a lot. Feel better. :hug2:

annekat
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Well, I too would probably resist going to a doctor or hospital or anything like that at this point. If I had any extra pred sitting around, which I do, I would probably try that. But then I don't remember how you feel about pred. I know some of us hate it! Aside from that, I'd probably try some ice packs, heat packs, hot tub soaks or showers, that kind of thing....... and I'm sure that chiropractors and massages are good ideas, too.

carriej22
01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
I asked my friend who works at the performance center about seeing a chiropractor, and she told me it's pretty much impossible to get in on short notice unless I have been in a car accident, etc. She told me the wait for casual patients is about 8 weeks, or longer if someone gets bumped up.

She told me that there are some MT who do "relaxation" massages and I should be able to get in within a week.. But it's relaxation only and not therapeutic, so I doubt that would be much good.

Looks like I'm gonna tough it out.

me2
01-06-2014, 03:00 PM
I have not heard of a chiropractor not taking someone on short notice. I have maybe been lucky here. I have also had debilitating neck and back pain go away with chiropractic treatment many times over the years. I have not needed to go like used to. Not all chiropractors are created equal either. I had restrictive low back pain for months and I was getting regular chiropractic treatment. It seemed my problem could not be fixed. Then a friend told me he knew a chiropractor who had fixed 'unfixable' people over the years. I had nothing to loose so I went to him.

Within three weeks the debilitating pain that never went away- went away. I continued to see this guy for years. Still do. Consider him a friend. He shares a building with other chiropractors. I asked if he was able to teach the others how to do what he does. He said had one once who he thought might learn but wasn't able to.

The reason for my long story is don't give up if the first chiropractor or two is not able to fix you AND ask around for who is working miracles. If muscle spasms are involved a prescription for muscle relaxers could be a big help. And put ice on it- I know, heat feels good. But it does more damage with the inflammation. Ice reduces inflammation and actually helps the healing process.
Wrap ice in a hot thin towel to put it on. The temperature changes gradually and isn't such a shock. I hope you feel better soon.

carriej22
01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
I live in a very very small town in New Brunswick (aka, bumF nowhere) and as far as I know there is only one chiropractor clinic.

me2
01-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Its not like a car accident is the only pain requiring urgent treatment. Argue - its worth a try and while you are arguing you will be pain free

carriej22
01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
She said if I get a Doctor's recommendation I might be able to get in quicker - will see what I can do when everything opens tomorrow.

pberggren1
01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
When I saw my chiro for the first time I called in the morning and got in 2 hours later. It was nice to be able to walk again.

mishb
01-06-2014, 10:23 PM
My husband used to get this all of the time.

He said to take ibuprofen and that you definitely need to put ice on it - never heat.

He was also told that if you sleep with more than one pillow, throw all the others off the bed and only sleep with one.
This has helped him immensely.

I have never heard of a chiropractor keeping anyone longer than a day or two (at worst), longer than this is just ludicrous.

If all else fails, you could send Sangye a private message and see what she thinks would help.

I hope it gets better soon

windchime
01-06-2014, 11:27 PM
I asked my friend who works at the performance center about seeing a chiropractor, and she told me it's pretty much impossible to get in on short notice unless I have been in a car accident, etc. She told me the wait for casual patients is about 8 weeks, or longer if someone gets bumped up.

She told me that there are some MT who do "relaxation" massages and I should be able to get in within a week.. But it's relaxation only and not therapeutic, so I doubt that would be much good.

Looks like I'm gonna tough it out.

Carrie, I agree with me2 it shouldn't take 8 weeks to get in when you are in pain. You are in an acute situation just like a car accident and they should see immediately. I would call the clinic myself instead of relying on the information from your friend. A lot of Chiropractors have MT's in their office and they do therapeutic work. That's the point of massage in a chiro office. Maybe you can go to the next biggest town near you. I hate recommending just picking a chiro from the phone book, but it sounds like you might have no other choice if you do this. It really will help to see the chiro. Use the ice, not heat like recommended. Feel better.

carriej22
01-07-2014, 05:33 AM
So I called a few places; the only place that could get me in this week is a MT. He told me that he would see me; but that his massages are relaxation only but he said he has to say that because of the insurance of the building he works in (he actually works at a salon) but he said he might be able to help me.

However, insurance doesn't cover relaxation massage which is what this will be labelled as even if he can help me.

I have an appointment for Thursday, but knock on wood I think the pain is a little less today... I will get rid of some pillows (I sleep with 3).

pberggren1
01-07-2014, 05:37 AM
I hope you can find some relief soon hun. I know what it is like to have a sore neck.

annekat
01-07-2014, 05:45 AM
I have had some issues like this with my back that just come out of nowhere, and I suffer with them, and then they eventually just go away when I stop thinking about them so much. I know that is hard, though! I hope that you can get some help soon! And I hope the pain continues to lessen each day, as it seems to be doing, knock on wood!